continuous feed stills

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

piratesteve
Novice

continuous feed stills

Post by piratesteve »

Well just got looking at some references, and figured out the concept of this continual feed system, now does anyone have any tried and tested plans for one of these systems that they would be willing to share?????

Also, I am looking for a good design for plate still utilizing 2" pipe. Have been eyeballing this beautiful 6" copper pipe at work, and want to try it scaled down a bit first. I want to try out the plate still, as ive heard rad mention somewhere, that going over 3" pipe poses issues when using HETP set ups....

Thanks again for all the help. Ive totally bcome addicted to this forum. What a wealth of information there is here, and the more I learn, the more things I wanna learn come up. Im obsessed! I think Ive found my calling! and its not anything dumb, such as selling my spirits, as I refuse to do so, plus it really feels better to just gift it off...

Now the fuel on the other hand..... Thats where my brains goin now
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
kiwistiller
retired

Re: continuous feed stills

Post by kiwistiller »

I guess you will have found this thread?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... ping+still
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Yeah, I found that thread thanks.... Still trying to find some good designs for a 2" plate cloumn though.. I f any one has any...

thanks
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

""good designs for a 2" plate cloumn though.. ""
ant going to fiend one below 4" (100mm)
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

This forum member has done some work on continuous still. Manu de hanoi.

Also, if you go to the Yahoo fuel stiller forum, they might be able to help you. They often use continuous stills, much more than us hobby beverage stillers. You will need to adapt their versions a bit to beverage use, but the basic design is the same.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholfuel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Much under 4" and a plate still will start flooding, just not enough room in a 2" to get them to balance.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Going to 4" will not be a problem for me. The reason I want to try and build this plate still is, that I want to gain some insight on the actual plate use. As I am going to build an armagnac type continous still, whick utilizes plates in the reflux column/wash warmer.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

There is hope for a small plate column after all.
Check the new stickie. It looks promising.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

okay, what are these stickies ive heard mentioned??????

where do I find these???
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Thanks all. But I am looking to build a plate still to try out, with plates perpendicular to the flow of vapor. These will be utilized in a armagnac type continous still. The design which I am basing my design in works can be viewed at http://www.copper-alembic.com/products_ ... nima13.swf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I found this in one of manu's threads. I will post some drwings of proposed design this evening after I finish drawing them.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Id call it a pot with a rectafier. many small distileres use them.
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

heres a quick sketch, sorry for my poor artistic skills....
kinda gives an idea of where im goin with this...

some feedback would be greatly appreciated as to know if im kind of on the right track with this.
Attachments
crude still.jpg
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

well kind of caught myself in a lack of judgement. I dont think theres anyway my previous idea could have worked. plus its gonna be a little to hard to build. just thought a new plan of attack.
Attachments
crude still drawing revisioned.jpg
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Well it was definatley time i got searching that yahoo site. I am finding all kinds of relevant information. Thanks guys, and sorry for being a pain in the ass......
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

With small volume continuous stills being impractical for our use we don't enter into much discussion about them here... I was interested in them a while back, doing a lot of Charles 803 research and the like, but decided to stick with batch distillation...
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Well, the charles 803 is a fairly simple enough unit to build I think(thanks to what ive learnt here). Actually going to get going on it this weekend. My girlfriend just bought a new welding rig last week at an auction, so shes been dying to start a project.

I think Im going to make a few modifications to charles as to be able to run it for fuel or for beverage. As the scale of the blueprints I found are not too much larger than the setup Im running now! So Ill try it out. And if its going to work for me, Ill build a scaled up version just for fuel. (ie ill use rubber in it just to get rid of temptation)