Am I running my pot still to slow?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dogsled
Novice

Am I running my pot still to slow?

Post by dogsled »

Most of what I collect on my spirit run comes out over 80%. I did a stripping run of UJSSM and everything went fine, but when I ran it through the second time most of what I collected was over 80% then it dropped off real quick. I collected the first jar of foreshot that I didn't bother to check the abv, then I collected a jar that was 84% the next was 82%, then 68%, then 30%. I should probably be making more at once and/or using smaller jars but does this seem right to you? UJSSM recipe says beginners should be saving 80%-70% abv but I hardly collect anything between 80% and 70%. My still is a 7.75 gallon keg with a 24"x 2" column (no packing) and a 42" liebig.

Was I running my still to slow? If I run it faster will I get more usable alcohol?

I have a bigger batch of UJSSM ready to run but I don't want to screw it up.
kiwistiller
retired

Re: Am I running my pot still to slow?

Post by kiwistiller »

If you insulate the column that will get your ABV a bit lower. you definitely need smaller jars. 4 is not good resolution to do your cuts with, you'll be only getting one hearts jar and chances are it will be a bit contaminated.
Remeber: you can't (well, shouldn't) make cuts on ABV. If it is stressing you out, strip harder and get more low wines at a lower ABV. IIRC, I think the ideal whisky still charge is about 27%, then you don't have to dilute before it goes in the barrel.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

dogsled wrote:Was I running my still to slow? If I run it faster will I get more usable alcohol?
Maybe not the best way to word that.

Dunder talks about when potstilling, try and get your final product out the business end as close to prefer'd drinking proof as possible to enhance the likelihood of good flavor by not further diluting. Or more specifically, watering down.

Shooting for a lower abv in the wash is one of the ways in which to acheive this. And it is common knowledge that the lower abvs make for less chance of off flavors as well.

Running your still a bit faster may help, but will also increase the likelihood of smearing your cuts.

Let us know how this turns out.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Every still is different. And as far as that goes...runs can be too. I've pulled tails at 77% before, and I've seen heads that lasted that long too. Do take notes about what goes on, what abv your jar is, etc., but pay more attention to how they "smell" and taste first. And then see if your measurements equate with what your nose and tastebuds are telling you.

I use 24 (2 cases) pint jars for a 5 gal still to collect in. I take my still charge and convert it to ml (5 gal = 18927ml) and multiply it by the percent abv of my still charge (usually around 40%). 18927 x .40 = 7,570.8 ml of "potential" output. Multiply that by 1.3 (an average) for volume correction because you aren't going to be collecting at 100% and you get 9842 ml of total output (give or take since you probably also won't be collecting all the way to zero either). Then, take your total volume, 9,842 in this example,...and divide it by 24 jars. That's 410 ml per jar (or about a pint). I think if you'll try these calculation before your run, you'll find they get you in the ball park (you'll know about how many jars you need..and how much to collect in each one). And as mentioned...spreading it out over 24 jars...will give you a nice spread to do cuts on. Try it and see. And make sure to use your nose/taste buds. Start in the dead middle (12th jar) and work your way out both ends till you find the beggining of heads and tails. If you need a converter try this http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

As suggested, it's a good idea to try and target your final abv by varying your still charge so you don't have to water your final product as much. However, I would also add, that I've found that such things are not linear or easy to do...ie., 1/2 cut in proof of still charge doesn't necessarily equate to 1/2 cut in proof of output. It just depends on your still. Usually, reducing the still charge abv by 1/2...will reduce your yield more so than it does the proof. So, you have to experiment some with it. I've tried to "target" abv before...by using the theory chart and making an offset based on multiple runs using my still. There were just too many variables to get it down pat. But, in general..reducing the abv of your still charge..will lower your aggregate abv...just not as much as it lowers your yield. That's been my experience anyway.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

You aren't running too slow. Running hotter or faster to drop your ABV is going to drag tails into your hearts. Varying the abv of your still charge will vary your abv at the condenser, but if you are varying the abv of your still charge by cutting it with water you aren't really changing the ratio of flavor to alcohol. The only way to change that ratio is to do it with the recipe of your mash. That all being said, I'd just run it slow, make good cuts, and dilute it to the desired proof after aging on oak. Maybe a little less sugar in the next batch if you really want to drop the abv and bring more flavor in your ujsm.
Aces High
Swill Maker

Post by Aces High »

You also should start your spirit run with no more than about 45% abv low wines. If you start with higher, your spirit run output will be much higher. I try and keep the charge to about 40%, then my sweet spot on my hearts will come out between 65 & 70%

oops, didn't mean to answer a mentors Q&A post. Feel free to delete