bad washes

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rangaz
Swill Maker

bad washes

Post by rangaz »

what sort of warning signs should you look out for to see if a wash has gone bad/infected. If a wash has become infected, what sort of bad effects will it have and can it still be distilled safely?
Enlikil
Swill Maker

Post by Enlikil »

Well I"M not the expert here but i do share your Feelings right now as i have asked the question before.
Just how do you tell?????
You are most likely worried that you have bactieria of some sorts in your wash..
Or its moldey... hehe ewww.w..

If this was beer or wine you wouldhave much concerne as your product would taste like crap or get ya sick. but you are distilling. Your boiling it over 160 for long periods of time. SO really, you aren't concerned much with bacteria other then giving you crappy flavors.

Just my two cents, but i'm sure someone else knows more.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Ive had washes go bad... you pretty much know. No doubt. I mean, its really easy to tell... Mine smelled bad :cry: bad like the worst kind of bad you ever smelled. like if you spilled it in the garage, you'd move. like ass ass. or worse. I never distilled any, just threw it out. buried it deep...
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Junkyard...I am in tears...that was the funniest post I've ever read!:lol:
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Re: bad washes

Post by hornedrhodent »

="rangaz"
what sort of warning signs should you look out for to see if a wash has gone bad/infected. If a wash has become infected, what sort of bad effects will it have and can it still be distilled safely?

A white skin on the top is a bad sign.

Even if you get a bad wash run it anyway - then dilute it and run it again - you need practice to learn to run your still.
It may even improve with multiple dilution and distilling - just dont run it with good stuff.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Mold is a sign of an infection for sure. You can't always go by smell. Any grain wash I make kinda puts a hurt on my nose while it's fermenting. Organtic prducts are decomposing, how could it not smell bad?

The first time I ever tried mashing barley the mash stunk bad. I cooked the mash, malted it and it was still too hot to throw the yeast so I left it till the next day. When I went to throw the yeast I almost fell over. Like it almost made me chuck....I'm talking stink, like vomit. If you spilled this shit on your floor of your shop you'd probably consider burning it down and building a new one :shock: Yes that bad.

THM told me not to worry about it and run it. I did and the whiskey turned out great. It had a very unique taste that was very pleasing to the pallat. I've never been able to duplicate that wash again. I figure some wild yeasties got a hold on it before I threw my yeast.

So the moral of the story is just cuz it smells bad doesn't mean it is.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

UR I read something about there being a lot of lactic acid bacteria on malt. I'm wondering if thats the source of the funky smell we have experienced. And like you said, its not necessarily a bad thing. In my case it was so bad that I couldn't walk into the garage without feeling sick. The thought of running it made me queasy.

I wonder if you were to toss some raw malt into a prepared wash could you repeat that?
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

well i dont think that my wash is infected, doesnt smell that bad, no white layers, mold etc. i got two fermenters on the back sun room in the sun fermenting and no ones compained yet. it was 3 batches of ginger beer that tasted horrid, almost impossible to drink so i chucked in more sugar and left it. should be good for practice, who knos, might even be able to drink it...
thanks
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Looks like my corn has gotten moldy. Just made up 15 gal. of UJSM and the cracked corn had a slight moldy smell to it, but I made it up anyway. Once I had it all mixed up there was a dark foam on the top of the mash that I don't usually see. It's all mixed up and fermenting but I think I should chuck it.

Corn is about a year old and has been stored in a somewhat air tight big plastic container.

Hate to throw it out, but I guess I better?
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I almost never throw out a batch of mash cause it smells or looks bad. If the yeast ate all the sugar, then there is alcohol in it. Run it anyway for the practice and see what you get. I've been suprised every time. If you do have a bacterial infection then its time to use soap and water on all your fermintation equipment. The only time I had a really bad smelling distillate was when I used glass carboys and had them in the sun. Yeast dosn't seem to like lots of direct sunlight. Or maybe it was the chemical reactions that were powered by sunlight.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Thanks, may run it just for kicks. But the mold is from the cracked corn, not a contamination in the wash or buckets. Always clean that stuff with soap and water and a little bleach at the end.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

I just posted something similar in another thread.

So any of you guys use Campden tablets? They are suppose to kill wild yeast. May kick this before it starts.

I know its normal for some mold to grow when making wine if you use freash fruit. Wine has a way of correcting itself over time. Of course if your going to distill it I'm not exactly sure.

I've had similar questions about making Brandy. Does the age of the wine make a difference?