Not enough yeast

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Not enough yeast

Post by DFitz »

I made a 30 gallon wash last night. heated the water, added 5 gallons rum, wash last night. When I pulled out my yeast bags (typically rather than use the remainder of an older bag I'll use in in a yeast bomb). Anyway, I realized what I thought to be 3 lbs of yeast were only about 2. In short, after making up my yeast bomb I only had slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of yeast to add to a recipe that would call for three times that.

It started out with a slightly foamy head and now is fermenting with a sort of effervescent look or champagne type ferment. Will this gain momentum or will I need more yeast. I have some Nottingham but really wanted to save this for another project.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Not enough yeast

Post by Prairiepiss »

Just let it work. If a cup and a half ain't enough yeast. You have other problems.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Yeah, she's young yet. The bomb just wasn't bombin like I expected. Measuring 11% on the hydro at 70* so I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm in no rush. After the holidays I have to leave for 11 days so I won't run it till then.

Thanks! and Happy T-Day!!
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Yep things have progressed just fine. Once the yeast got it's momentum the wash turned & burned since Thurs evening though the whole weekend. Another question, I held these wash bins in a warmed contained area due to our colder climate. For that second fermentation should I just let nature take its course (it was 27F) last night or continue to keeps this wash warmer say in the 70's until I run it?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Actually the cold would be good for it. Cold crash it to help it clear faster.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Thank you sir. I'll let it finish fermenting then turn off the heat and run it when I return.
That works out in my favor. I'll be just an hour from Gibbs Bros. so I'll be stopping by there & have a nice med light toasted barrel to being back with me. :thumbup:
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Just a bump to show this project's progression. I ran a triple distilled heavy rum bringing forth a light bodied spirit. Officially two years old now and barrel aged (toasted no char), today's sample found a very smooth 120 proof rum with a light body, an up front nutty taste, drifting to a slight vanilla anise undertone. Shown neat but this rum was fantastic on the rocks .

I'll bottle this rum now and let it mellow another couple years tasting occasionally along the way. I'm sure it'll get much better over time. I'll likely spice a few gallons using vanilla, a couple using a pineapple spice, and maybe try my hand at Sailor Jerry's & Capt Morgan. So many options here.

Happy Birthday Rum!
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Love to see a two year follow up like that. You need any help drinkin' that bud you let ol brutal know alright?
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6