1500W hotplate or Propane

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

firefly
Bootlegger

1500W hotplate or Propane

Post by firefly »

Being a little disappointed with my very 1st run...I wanna try to speed things up a just little...(will be doing stripping from now on)

Those familiar with the PS II from brewhaus....I was wondering if I switch from propane to a 1500W hotplate if it would change anything(besides me not freezing)....This would cost me 120$

or

Don't know if I could simply buy the High Capacity column and use it on my current distiller and that would cost 220$...hopefully speeding time of distillation...

Is it worth spending the money or am I just complaining for nothing..... :oops:

mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

I have both the ps II and the high capacity. If time and effort are important, the High Capacity is fantastic and fast.

That said, you are looking at a lot more than 220. You would need an adopter 2 X 3", a tri clamp fitting, more hoses and clamps, more packing and then a lot more heat input. The $350 package plus heat source.

But whats your time worth over many years?
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

I just spent 350$ on the PS II.....
another 350$ plus shipping will end up costing me almost 1000$ for my whole kit....

if I compare the high capacity to mine, in the same identical situation , how much time can someone save?? will it be minimal??

Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

firefly wrote:I just spent 350$ on the PS II.....
another 350$ plus shipping will end up costing me almost 1000$ for my whole kit....

if I compare the high capacity to mine, in the same identical situation , how much time can someone save?? will it be minimal??

That is why many here advocate getting a keg, and fabricating your own still. Even if you paid the biggest rip off artist plumber to build it for you, it would have been far cheaper than the PSII.

- A keg runs about $50 (can be gotten cheaper, but for $50 a keg is a pretty easy find).

- The copper to build a bokabob will run about 60 - 80 (condenser and column).

- Good needle valve, another 20 to 35.

- Someone to solder it up (if you simply dont want to try), $50 tops.

The costs quoted were if you really did not do any of the construction yourself, and did not try to scrounge your parts for cheap.

A still like this will run you from $75 (if you are a good scrounger and can solder it yourself), up to $200 (to 250), if you buy everything pretty much retail, and have someone else build it for you.

Just something to think about before sinking a load of additional money into your still'n system.

H.
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

Thanks Husker, but now I already have my PS II...so I gotta put it to good use....would just be nice to speed it up a little....... :cry:

Is it worth trying the 1500W hotplate.....not sure if that's too much heat for a PS II.....
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

It will be the condenser, if it cant handle 1500W.

Also, insulation will help quite a bit. Keep that boiler from leaking all the heat out.

H.
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

It's already insulated....thanks to tips I found here... :D

not sure if I wanna spend another 350$ for the high capacity...

trying to post a pic of my setup....as soon as I figure this out...I will post it... :D [/img]
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Propane is much better than a 1500w hotplate to me...
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

I like propane too....just with the garage door open a little....It get's pretty cold.....

12 hours using propane.....I guess I will have to get a spare tank...
I read somewhere that someone can do 6-7 runs on a full tank....
I hope I can do at least 2!!!

... :D
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

firefly wrote:I like propane too....just with the garage door open a little....It get's pretty cold.....

12 hours using propane.....I guess I will have to get a spare tank...
I read somewhere that someone can do 6-7 runs on a full tank....
I hope I can do at least 2!!!

... :D
Bet you could build a simple pot still on a keg for your stripping runs heaps cheaper than upgrading your current setup.
I run a potstill on propane, and my stripping run on 22 litre ujsm yesterday started at 4.15 pm to light the burner and finished at 6 pm with 4.1 litres of low wines from 68% down to 20%.

You could still use your current setup for spirit runs if you are that keen on a 12 hour run.
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

I will do like Husker suggested and do 3 stripping runs as my PS II can run like a pot still.....

I think I may be lowering my heat too much....I was thinking of leaving a higher flame and then adjust the Temp with more water flow....

...I know I have a lot to learn but it has been made easier for me thanks to all of you and it is greatly appreciated....

Bartender.....drinks for everyone........on me..... :lol:
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

I think as long as your column can keep up, the more heat you put in the faster you go. The only problem I've heard of with the PSII is that the condenser is a little small. I'm assuming the high capacity column is high capacity because it has a larger condenser and column. So I think you'd only get more distillate faster if you increase the heat. Now this is a guess, but I would think a decent propane burner has the ability to put out more heat then a 1500w hot plate.

I'd be tempted to do a water run and see how fast you can do it, just to get a feel for the still....
Still_Crazy
Bootlegger

Post by Still_Crazy »

I started last December with a nice halogen 1440W hotplate and a nice 22qt SS stock pot... drip..drip..drip..drip. and 12 or 15hrs later I have some great product.

Now I use 2 sankey kegs , 15.5G for ferment and boil and a 55,000 BTU propane burner. My exchange on the propane is $16.48. It's great for me.

The propane is far more controlable vs the hotplate.
The hotplate you can run indoors with no noise and recirculating ice water.... the list goes on.
~ After all these years, a drop in time helps soothe my mind ~
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

mikeac wrote:I think as long as your column can keep up, the more heat you put in the faster you go. The only problem I've heard of with the PSII is that the condenser is a little small. I'm assuming the high capacity column is high capacity because it has a larger condenser and column. So I think you'd only get more distillate faster if you increase the heat. Now this is a guess, but I would think a decent propane burner has the ability to put out more heat then a 1500w hot plate.

I'd be tempted to do a water run and see how fast you can do it, just to get a feel for the still....
You are correct about the water run. Pump that heat up, and see just how much that condenser can knock down.

>I think as long as your column can keep up

Well. .....

>The only problem I've heard of with the PSII is that the condenser is a little small

That is more the limiting factor. When stripping, you should run pretty much AS FAST as the condenser can handle. On the PSII, the condenser is a wimp. One things that "could" be done, is to attach a smallish coil in the bucket AFTER the PSII's condenser. Then you can run the still pretty much flat out (without packing, and without ANY coolant in the column) the PSII will knock down much of the vapor, and then anything left over will be knocked down by the coil.

NOTE you should be able to (from start to finish), be able to strip 25L in 2 to 3 hours using propane. NOTE the spirit run will not be this fast, but the strip run's "can" go that fast, IF you can get the vapor condensing large enough to offset the heat being pumped into the still.

H.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Still_Crazy wrote: The propane is far more controlable vs the hotplate.
The hotplate you can run indoors with no noise and recirculating ice water.... the list goes on.
There are reasons to run either elect or propane. IF you can do this outside (or in a shed, garage, etc), then propane is by far the cheaper and much fast method. However, you can not run propane safely inside a dwelling (I will stand by this statement, even though there are probably people who try to rig things up to make it "safe").

I personally prefer gas. I can fully control the flames on my burner (from about melt the pot hot, to just over a couple of candles hot). I know that can also be done using elect, but it is so much easier with gas. The only thing I give up with gas, is running in my basement. However, I have a little electric still, which I can strip with. Thus, in the winter, I can simply strip in my basement, collect low wines, and wait for a weekend that is warmer. Then run those low wines in the garage, using gas. low wines will keep forever.

H.
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

I will try a water run....should I dump 25 liters into the keg?? and how much should I collect before closing it up?? :?

Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

firefly wrote:I will try a water run....should I dump 25 liters into the keg?? and how much should I collect before closing it up?? :?
No need for 25L. You will not run it all, and why heat up that much. I would put 5L or so (at least 6 inches deep, however much that is). Then run until you can collect 2L or so, without ANY vapor being lost. If you can maintain max output for 2L without losing vapor, then you KNOW that you can maintain that rate when stripping. Remember, that straight water is much harder to knock down that mash you are stripping. The water vapor vs ethanol/water vapor takes more cooling to knock down the vapors.

One other BIG key, is to make sure your coolant lines are hooked up correctly. The inlet to the water should be on the output side of the condensor, and the hot water outlet should be on the side of the condenser closer to the column (reversed direction that the vapor flows). If you have this hooked up the other way, you will get much less quality cooling (probably only about 1/2 the cooling knockdown power).

H.
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

Husker....sent you a PM...... :)
rangitang
Novice

Re:

Post by rangitang »

Husker wrote:
mikeac wrote:I think as long as your column can keep up, the more heat you put in the faster you go. The only problem I've heard of with the PSII is that the condenser is a little small. I'm assuming the high capacity column is high capacity because it has a larger condenser and column. So I think you'd only get more distillate faster if you increase the heat. Now this is a guess, but I would think a decent propane burner has the ability to put out more heat then a 1500w hot plate.

You are correct about the water run. Pump that heat up, and see just how much that condenser can knock down.

>I think as long as your column can keep up

Well. .....

>The only problem I've heard of with the PSII is that the condenser is a little small

That is more the limiting factor. When stripping, you should run pretty much AS FAST as the condenser can handle. On the PSII, the condenser is a wimp. One things that "could" be done, is to attach a smallish coil in the bucket AFTER the PSII's condenser. Then you can run the still pretty much flat out (without packing, and without ANY coolant in the column) the PSII will knock down much of the vapor, and then anything left over will be knocked down by the coil.

NOTE you should be able to (from start to finish), be able to strip 25L in 2 to 3 hours using propane. NOTE the spirit run will not be this fast, but the strip run's "can" go that fast, IF you can get the vapor condensing large enough to offset the heat being pumped into the still.

H.
Hi Husker, I am unable to finish a 25l wash in less than six hours and so I must be doing something wrong. I am on propane with a stock pot pot still and doubler to worm Half inch tubing end to end. Going by temp I cannot hold it at less than 86c where it hangs in until vapour thins. Any hints would be appreciated. To do a run in three hours would be really a treat.
Hawke
retired

Re: Re:

Post by Hawke »

rangitang wrote:
Hi Husker, I am unable to finish a 25l wash in less than six hours and so I must be doing something wrong. I am on propane with a stock pot pot still and doubler to worm Half inch tubing end to end. Going by temp I cannot hold it at less than 86c where it hangs in until vapour thins. Any hints would be appreciated. To do a run in three hours would be really a treat.
A thermo is useless on a potstill. The wash is going to set it's own vapor temp, and trying to chase a number is like a dog chasing it's tail.
Toss the thermo in a drawer and crank up the heat.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
shotshell12
Novice

Re: 1500W hotplate or Propane

Post by shotshell12 »

never used nothing but gas but have looked in to elec and for the money gas is the way for me but iam just a BEGINNER and hope one day to be good at this
HookLine
retired

Re: Re:

Post by HookLine »

Hawke wrote:A thermo is useless on a potstill. The wash is going to set it's own vapor temp, and trying to chase a number is like a dog chasing it's tail.
Toss the thermo in a drawer and crank up the heat.
They are no more useless than a parrot's beak and alcometer (for pot stilling). Ultimately cuts have to made by smell and taste, so a thermometer or parrots is only ever a rough guide to where you are in the run. Nothing wrong with that, as long as people are not doing the cuts with them, or chasing the temp (or the abv if using a parrots).

Smell and taste is what it is all about.

Thermometers with a programmable hi-temp alarm are useful for safety reasons. I use one and for pot stilling set it at 98ºC.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.