Interested in speaking to people on the Art of Distilling

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Interested in speaking to people on the Art of Distillin

Post by pfshine »

I swear if when this show comes out, I see a one toothed hillbilly running from "the law" with a jug of likker under his arm. I'm gonna be livid.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Or floating 5 gallon lowes buckets down the creek to avoid the road block.
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

I'm sorry but I love that show simply for entertainment value!
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

chris_zx2 wrote:I'm sorry but I love that show simply for entertainment value!
Yea but it portrays shiners and distillers as money hungry SOB'S! And that is not too entertaining to the real shiners
and distillers.Uneducated soccer moms and the fella doing our ladies nails at the salon at the mall will believe that crap.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Young lady you got that analysis on that likker.
you puttin - for profit - all in the same boat
answered all the questions that needs to be ask
bout your work. Tis a shame you don't know what you
don't know but probably best.
I aint never made no likker an aint gonna in the future.

So I'm tole

Did that lead you talkin about. Did it come from the
outfit or the water to proof it with.
You drink orange juice?

I've said my fill

So I'm tole
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

I'm sure if a show was to be produced and put to air it would have international appeal and if done in the correct manner would help show the whole world that home distilling in the USA differs from its portrayal on "that Discovery Channel show".
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

My apologies Mam, no disrespect was intended and your alternative monogram has been removed. It was posted for the safety of the members to show you are very likely to be who you claim to be :thumbup:
I see reading most of the posts here one repeated theme, that is that an informative and honest documentary will only be achieved by approaching the subject without any preconceived prejudice. Not telling you how to suck eggs but your comment about lead poisoning tends to allude to holding such preconceived notions. Try to understand that in most countries this hobby is to varying degrees illegal. There is an inherent risk to contributing to your project but if you do show an honest an open doco on home distilling it will most certainly go a long way to dispelling the great majority of myths prevalent out there. Time effort and money has been put towards legalizing the hobby in the USA and in my country Australia to affect the same result as achieved in New Zealand so anything showing the truth about home distilling would be most welcomed by most here and on the the other similar forums. here in Australia we have had some limited good journalism (mainly from the ABC) even praising the Internet forums for their contribution to the education of safe distilling practices
If you would allow I would suggest an interesting angle would be to briefly look at the New Zealand experience as a comparison to how things are and could be in the USA. Home distilling over the centuries has been well documented in the US (highlighted by the prohibition years) but have been quietly prevalent in many countries, particularly those once part of the British empire including the UK (old Jackie Dan was a Cambrian moonshiner).
As far as your look into the real world of moonshining/bootlegging good luck with that :thumbup: reckon the closest you'll come is finding someone who use to do it telling you how it use to be
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Dez
Novice

Post by Dez »

thecroweater wrote:My apologies Mam, no disrespect was intended and your alternative monogram has been removed. It was posted for the safety of the members to show you are very likely to be who you claim to be :thumbup:
I see reading most of the posts here one repeated theme, that is that an informative and honest documentary will only be achieved by approaching the subject without any preconceived prejudice. Not telling you how to suck eggs but your comment about lead poisoning tends to allude to holding such preconceived notions. Try to understand that in most countries this hobby is to varying degrees illegal. There is an inherent risk to contributing to your project but if you do show an honest an open doco on home distilling it will most certainly go a long way to dispelling the great majority of myths prevalent out there. Time effort and money has been put towards legalizing the hobby in the USA and in my country Australia to affect the same result as achieved in New Zealand so anything showing the truth about home distilling would be most welcomed by most here and on the the other similar forums. here in Australia we have had some limited good journalism (mainly from the ABC) even praising the Internet forums for their contribution to the education of safe distilling practices
If you would allow I would suggest an interesting angle would be to briefly look at the New Zealand experience as a comparison to how things are and could be in the USA. Home distilling over the centuries has been well documented in the US (highlighted by the prohibition years) but have been quietly prevalent in many countries, particularly those once part of the British empire including the UK (old Jackie Dan was a Cambrian moonshiner).
As far as your look into the real world of moonshining/bootlegging good luck with that :thumbup: reckon the closest you'll come is finding someone who use to do it telling you how it use to be
Thanks for your comments. I have taken it all on board. Regarding the lead poisoning comment - I did not intend to imply that home distilled moonshine leads to that, so to put everyone in the same boat. I just wanted to get the opinion from everyone here and compare it to my research on the subject.
While New Zealand would be great to look into, I'm afraid it's not something we can focus on right now. We are aiming for a program different from the Moonshiners on Discovery. I can't promise you exactly how it will turn out, as it all depends on the characters available and other people involved in making the program. We are looking at all possibilities however, with the hope of portraying all sides of the story in an accurate manner.

I will try my best and keep you guys up-to-date. Many thanks for your comments and help!

Best,
Dez
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

I am a little confused is this going to be a documentary or a reality TV series?
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

What's your definition of research an character.
don't sound like you lookin truths but dollars

Sounds like a nock off.

Fellas all yall hipmatized by limelight they gonna claim
absence of malice when they come acallin so for you
do somethin that can effect. The rest of your life you
best think about it. Yall grown folks do what you will.

So I'm tole
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

++1 Gooseeye.

Truer words aint never been spoken.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

"Character" is a pretty ubiquitous term in The Industry, meaning film or television representation of a person. It doesn't always mean a fictitious person. Tom Hanks played the character of "Chuck Noland" in the movie Cast Away. But Tom Hanks also played the character of "Jim Lovell" in the movie "Apollo 13". And Audie Murphy played the character of "Audie Murphy" in the movie "To Hell and Back" which was a film adaptation of his own autobiographical memoir.

Whatever this show ends up being, if it is produced, it is going to be an interpretation of reality. You can't put reality on the TV, nobody would watch it. They may end up making a very authentic, informative documentary series devoted to portraying the real issues and real people of the hobby distilling community. Properly edited and produced that has the potential to be a cohesive message or "Story" or "Bias", with "characters" who don't have scripted lines and who are talking about their real experiences.

I'm not saying that's what they are definitely doing here, or that you definitely should put yourself out there to be on TV for any reason.
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Remember the hack job Mythbusters did with the exploding still? If reality ain't entertaining enough, fake it.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I contacted them tonight. Will keep you all posted.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

goose eye wrote:What's your definition of research an character.
don't sound like you lookin truths but dollars

Sounds like a nock off.

Fellas all yall hipmatized by limelight they gonna claim
absence of malice when they come acallin so for you
do somethin that can effect. The rest of your life you
best think about it. Yall grown folks do what you will.

So I'm tole
I done said more than I meant to the first time I spoke here .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

LOL TB! In other words you don't have shit to say on the subject! I would except I personally have a dislike for Brit commentary- so boring and dry with the humor! Get it "dry" as in a dry county? Same type humor. Nothing humorous about what we do unless it is Janitor47 Kool-Aide hooch!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Nothing humorous , OK guess you didn't read the bit where the 3" slug dropped in my drink as I was about to take my first sip, made me jump back knocking the stilsens of the bench landing square ontop of my parrot busting every soldered on it. If you had previously read the 3 month ordeal trying to. Soldered it finally getting it to take that day you would have got the humour involved, hell even I had to cackle once I calmed
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

ga flatwoods wrote:Nothing humorous about what we do unless it is Janitor47 Kool-Aide hooch!
wth you jabbin on 'bout woods, rarely a day goes by on here this place doesnt raise a chuckle. Sometimes I even gotta wipe the laughter tears out my eyes.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

You well forget the reason for the OP was to document the home distiller and why it is a passion not why we are members of HD necessarily.
Still in is serious!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Stillin's too serious to be serious, 'woods.

I tried being serious once. Worst ten seconds of my life.
Worried hell outta the SOH too.

tp
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

T-Pee wrote:Stillin's too serious to be serious, 'woods.

tp
Seriously????
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

jb-texshine wrote:
T-Pee wrote:Stillin's too serious to be serious, 'woods.

tp
Seriously????
Nah. Just kidding. See?

tp
Dez
Novice

Post by Dez »

Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying to all of your messages. Things here have been rather hectic! There are still a few things left to look into and I was wondering if anyone can help with this. Most of the people I have spoken to said that they distill on a very small scale and mainly for themselves. We are really interested in finding people who are distilling at home, but on a larger scale. So maybe someone who does it for their other relatives, neighbors, local friends. Maybe there is an event in the neighborhood where the locals make and try their homemade moonshine and continue the tradition. We'd love to see some of those events or community gatherings, if they do exist, and meet with the people within those circles who do this as a hobby and as a way to carry on the tradition, but on a larger scale rather than individuals.

We are really interested in accessing this world that is not easy to find or get into for the regular viewer that will be watching this, hence why we are focusing more on distillers who do this underground. I want to reassure you however, that everything is done on a completely anonymous basis.

Many episodes of our previous programs like Drugs Inc. and Underworld Inc. are available to view on YouTube so you can get an idea about how effectively contributors’ identities are disguised.

I will also reiterate that the program presents all stories in an objective way. We are not trying to make anyone look bad or present them in a light that is not true to them. This is not
another 'Moonshine' show and the producers are keen to dispel some of the stereotypes and clichés around Moonshining.

The crew will be in the states from the 20th April for around 4 weeks. Please contact me either through here or via my work email address for more information or if you have any questions: desislava.kadra@walltowall.co.uk

Thanks for reading and for all of your help previously! Really appreciate it!

Dez
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

There's already a show for those who make it on a larger scale. It's called moonshiners.

This is a hobby for us, which is why it's small scale.

I guess we know the direction of the show now.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by aquavita »

Dez wrote: but on a larger scale rather than individuals.

we are focusing more on distillers who do this underground.
Dez
Dez -

I think that you are missing the point of our efforts here. We do not support/approve of members that are doing this for profit - unless you are licensed. See moonshiners.

You may be missing an opportunity to show the truly remarkable skills and art of folks that are doing this for pleasure - not profit. It could be a VERY interesting show.

posted same time as Smurf
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Dez wrote:We are really interested in finding people who are distilling at home, but on a larger scale.
You got the wrong guy.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Dez
Novice

Post by Dez »

Hi guys,

I was specifically looking for the hobby distillers not the for-profit guys. So something like the community in this forum, but in one area of the state which we can actually physically see.

Aquavita - I agree that a program on the skills and art solely would indeed be very interesting, but unfortunately it's not all down to me and there are many things at play with programs such as this one.

Appreciate your comments.

D
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Dez, you do understand that this is illegal and we don't practice the hobby out in the open or as a community thing - other than among ourselves. It's a behind closed doors kind of thing. There have been a few get togethers among members in the past, but those are few and far between.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

What kinda scale are you looking for? I give some away to close friends and family. But other than that you won't find anything bigger here unless they are legal.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Law

So I'm tole