Where do you buy your cracked corn?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frikz
Novice

Where do you buy your cracked corn?

Post by frikz »

Reading through some other threads, it seems to me that most people buy their cracked corn at some kind of animal feed supply store. I bought a 25 kg bag (chicken feed) here, and according to the manufacturer it is 100% pure and natural, but is this stuff really safe to use? I guess it is, but I don't like the idea, after all it's animal food.

Now I actually had to return the bag to the store, cause I discovered it was full of thrips when I opened it, so I informed at a local bakery whether they could supply me with some corn. The only thing they could get however was corn meal. Are there any other places where they would likely sell reasonably priced corn intented for human consumption?
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

cracked corn for animals is ok to use.
what would be the difference between the production of corn for animals and humans?
an other option is to go to a local farmer, but you'll probably have to crack it yourself.

(glad to see some new dutch people)
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

!
Last edited by Butch50 on Mon May 19, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banjos and Whisky, Down On The River Bank
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I get mine at the feed store. It's worked fine ... but I've never had a bag come with bugs in it. ....knocks on wood....

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

I just got some at the pet store for 2 bucks for a 4lb bag which seems like a rip off when most of you guys say you can get 50lb bags from $5-10. I'll have to find a feed store. Mine looked fine but it dad have like brown pieces in it. I figured they were just like pieces from wood or something, shouldn't make a difference once it's distilled.
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I've been getting 50 pounds for like 8 bucks. This last bag had a small amount oats in it ... but no big deal.

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

feed

Post by Uncle Jesse »

what you want is called "dent corn" and it's very common as feed. As long as it's perishable it won't have preservatives added.

If they feed it to cattle, it's more than likely safe to use.

As for bugs, I've never had that problem personally.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply, Rural King and the like all carry it, as do local feed stores. I've never seen bugs in the cracked/crimped corn. I guess you just got unlucky. Return the bag to the store.

I use corn intended as animal feed with no reservations. I know some who use sweet feed as an ingredient also, but I stick to the corn because that's what I like best.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
mrotch
Novice

Post by mrotch »

I get mine from the feed store - cracked corn is sometimes called "Calf Mana" because it's used to feed baby cows...
Life's too short to drink cheap whiskey
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

i usually buy mine from tactor supply with the taxed exempt. gunna screw the gov might as well go all the way :twisted: I would go with the corn meal but, i bet they were asking a descent price for the meal.
when is never enough?
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

You can get cracked corn at any feed store...what I do is put the corn in water and skim off the husks and stuff that floats to the top...stir it and take off all the debris and you end up with some nice clean cracked corn..then the process begins......