Quantities of poitin

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

paulthebob
Novice

Quantities of poitin

Post by paulthebob »

My friend and I are going to brew up a little Poitin (recipe below)

The given recipe writes about 5 Gallons. However... that is a LOT of poitin and all we really want is about 1 Litre, or about 2 pints.

How much poitin would this recipe actually create?

http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Many thanks for your time.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Your only going to get about a gallon or less once its distilled.Theres one recipe that calls for hops.Dont use it because you wont like it.{its nasty}
I made some oat whiskey,and its real good.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

There's no sugar in it, so i'd say you won't be worried about having too much if you follow that recipe. Depending on your conversion, you might be lucky to get a litre of hearts
paulthebob
Novice

Post by paulthebob »

So you're saying that boiling 5 gal of that stuff, will produce only 1L? that 25L will turn to 1L?

What is hearts?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I've never done it, so i'm not sure exacly how much you'll get mate.
But the recipe doesn't look like it'll give you enough info to get a top rate conversion, and even with a good conversion there's not massive quantities of alchohol produced from all grain mashes.

A 5 gal mash is about what you'd want to start with to see if it's the game for you though.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

That recipe leaves out a few details.To get a good conversion,your mash water shouldnt be boiling.You want a mash temp between 148f-158f.If you go hotter,you will denature the enzymes in the malt,and not get a good conversion.Make your strike water about 175f,and dont add the 6 row until you check the temp of the mash.If I were making it,I would add 7 pounds of sugar to it,as soon as the mash is converted so that you get more booze off of it.It will still taste like oats,even with the sugar.If you use whole oats,it will be alot easier to rack,and will have a better flavor,but you need to crack them in a grain mill.
paulthebob
Novice

Post by paulthebob »

As this would be the first time we're doing this, we need to be fairly exact so as to avoid problems with the alcohol and other minor issues, blindness etc.

Does anybody have a link to a detailed recipe that we could use? Also, moonshine may also be an option. Any recommended links?

Also, another thing we'd like to know is the boiling container itself. But how exactly can it be used? I read a lot of recommendations about old beer kegs, but assuming the top plug can be taken off, how do you see what's in it? and how do you stop it from exploding when it's heated?

What is the entire process of making poitin and how can I do it?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Heres a easy recipe that makes good stuff.You might want to skip the poitin recipe until you have done quite a few mashes.
http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Uncle_Jes ... ash_Method" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

paulthebob wrote:So you're saying that boiling 5 gal of that stuff, will produce only 1L? that 25L will turn to 1L?

What is hearts?
I wish you luck with your project but as this is your first time and you ask the 'what is hearts' question, may I suggest that before you start, you had best do some reading on the home site for this forum, particularly those sections devoted to distilling. There are many things you need to be familiar with.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

tracker0945 wrote:I wish you luck with your project but as this is your first time and you ask the 'what is hearts' question, may I suggest that before you start, you had best do some reading on the home site for this forum, particularly those sections devoted to distilling. There are many things you need to be familiar with.
I had to force myself not to say that tracker. However, if it is a genuine post Tracker is correct, Paul. Do some basic research.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
paulthebob
Novice

Post by paulthebob »

Will do.

Thanks for the replies.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Good on ya ptb it will not be time wasted.
Some of it may sound a bit mysterious to you but you will end up with a much better idea of what happens.
Cheers
2"x38" Bok mini and
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I could post you a link on where to answer all your questions and more Paul, but it'd only direct you back to where you were 8)

This site has all the info you need, all you need to invest is time and thought.....

ThenThinkAboutBuildingItPunkin
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

paulthebob wrote:Will do. Thanks for the replies.

Way To Go, Paul. But be careful, this hobby is very addictive. You have been warned. :) :)

blanik

ps. Welcome to the forum
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
showrguy
Swill Maker

Post by showrguy »

wow, paul, i'd say you got lucky, i woulda thought you'd really get your balls busted for asking those kind of questions here...
nice replies fellas......... not too harsh....

but their all right, you need to do a LOT more reaserch before you start to dabble in fermenting/distilling....
have fun....... it's addictive though (thought i'd warn you)
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Were all being nice!Its so close to christmas and all.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

honestly, I'm shocked :shock:

welcome paul...

good luck with it.
Alchemist
Bootlegger

Post by Alchemist »

Oh man, for a first batch, when you don't even know what a heart cut is :shock: you are in for a world of hurt and hassle.

And beano? I guess, but now days I would go with a nice pack of alpha and beta amalyse. Even so, that is going to one challenging recipe.

Good luck.
The whiskey makes it all so clear...
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

showrguy wrote:wow, paul, i'd say you got lucky, i woulda thought you'd really get your balls busted for asking those kind of questions here
This new "Novice Distillers" section was made so newbs could ask the same questions over and over and not get chewed out for it. Folks that feel like dealin' with it answer the same "Can I use Plastic?" or "Is my ferment done?" type questions here repeatedly... folks that don't wanna deal with it can ignore this new section.

Anyone postin' questions outside of the Novice Distillers section demandin' "spoon feedin'" or postin' questions that display their lack of readin' the basics will still be trounced and laughed at.
showrguy
Swill Maker

Post by showrguy »

aaahhh, gotta love your honesty THM, i remember back a year and a half or so ago when i made my 1st. mash and then posted my questions on here, you were the guy that chewed my ass out for trying something so complicated the 1st. time.............. i deserved it, i suppose....but i still remember it like it was yesterday.....
oh, i learned a whole lot since then... hope to meet ya someday..
have a nice x-mas all..
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

agreed

Post by Uncle Jesse »

you aren't doing anyone a favor by spoonfeeding them info on distillation. they'll just get in over their heads and they'll be completely unprepared for the hazards and pitfalls.

there's no quick shortcut. if you want to distill you have a lot of reading and learning in front of you, followed by a lot of practice. there's just no other way to learn it.

read first! then ask.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

I agree UJ but there is also a nice way of telling them that they must read and sometimes even point them in the direction of what they need to read.
Much better than a blanket Read, Read, Read.
2"x38" Bok mini and