Heads and Tails

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Goat
Novice

Heads and Tails

Post by Old Goat »

I am running off some sugar water on a short reflux that has been distilling for 10 hours now...I threw away the first 100 ml coming off and saved the rest in small jars so that I can separate the first drippings from the last. As far as telling when the tails come in, taste the mids, and when the taste gets foul , you know you are in the tails...just my opinion....just got 3 quarts of 80 proof off of 4 gals with turbo 48 yeast. now I am saving the tails to add to my next distillation. Good brewing to ya!!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: Heads and Tails

Post by punkin »

Old Ass wrote:..just got 3 quarts of 80 proof off of 4 gals with turbo 48 yeast. now I am saving the tails to add to my next distillation. Good brewing to ya!!
Hope you mean "80%", rather than "80 proof". Otherwise you got probs :?
Jameson Beam
Novice
Location: Near the heart of Distillin' in the south of course...

Re: Heads and Tails

Post by Jameson Beam »

punkin wrote:
Old Ass wrote:..just got 3 quarts of 80 proof off of 4 gals with turbo 48 yeast. now I am saving the tails to add to my next distillation. Good brewing to ya!!
Hope you mean "80%", rather than "80 proof". Otherwise you got probs :?
Fur sure - my little ol' pot still gives off about 2 liters of 160 proof first run with a 16% abv mash on the first run (with about 1.0 liters of tails )lol. That thar's 80% alcoholy stuff :lol:

Vino es Veritas,
Jim.
"To err is Human, To make a fine Whiskey, Divine...."
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

I am getting better at this stuff, ran off 5 gals wash, got a half pint shy off a gallon of 170 proof and stopped, the percentage was going down, and getting foul.....any hoots..have a great time toasting yore home brew tonite.....
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

Well, I am really getting the hang of this now, just got a gallon off of of 4 (180 proof) (pot still)using corn, barley and sugar. and red star bakers yeast. Now I saved the slop at the bottom and added it to a batch of another mash with red star champagne yeast. It started bubbling right away.
I have also been experimenting with flavoring the corn squezzins. I add a little brown sugar, some vanilla, and some maple extract, and it is smooth, I call it maple slurpel, but, you have to be careful, it will hit you like a freight train. Also not bad mixed with Cola.
I have heard of this Apple Pie Shine. Does anyone have a recipe? I have some ideas on how to make it, but would like some input.

Have fun, get high, just don't drink and drive.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

There's a bunch apple pie respires on hear do search
I think I'd use apple juice cook down 1/2 cut alc add spices
cinnamon,cloves ,nutmeg;maybe a little sweet orange peel
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »