Coca-Cola or other soda

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kappax
Novice

Coca-Cola or other soda

Post by Kappax »

Hi,
I have been experimenting with different types of soda to see if it would be possible to distill them. I tried coca-cola, Dr Pepper, and A&W Root Beer.

I poured 50ml of soda into individual flasks. I put 1/4 of a teaspoon of yeast with the soda. The root beer and dr pepper both fermented.

For the Coca-cola, I read an old post that you may need to but need to put baking soda to allow fermenting. So, I made a 50ml batch with and without baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. Neither fermented...

Has anyone tried to make soda washes?
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

I find that quite fascinating. But I guess soda is just fizzy sugar water.

Dr Pepper fermented?

Cokes probably full of various preservatives, and no idea what kind of pH level it is at initially.

I can't imagine it being very cost effective to make a wash this way.
BMAC
Novice

Post by BMAC »

I have seen first hand where a bag of soda concentrate sells for a buck at rest auctions. It would be worth while, but why would you use the soda for a wash?

Maybe use the soda to help cut the final product when drinking it... :P

I would imagine the PH on Coke is fairly low. That stuff will eat your stomach lining and the shingles off your house. :shock:

Probably need to do a litmus check on the Coke and add a bunch of sheet rock dust to it (AKA Calcium Carbonate)
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Sounds really nasty to me.

If you're curious about taste that's one thing; if you're just into it to make a cheap wash so you can get drunk then you're not of the same mindset I am.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Kappax
Novice

Post by Kappax »

I am curious about the taste. It would be more of novelty, making only a few liters. I hadn't thought if using just the syrup for soda machines, ill have to check into that.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

My pal's father in law makes hooch from Gatorade.

I have no interest in making it, but I suppose I'd try a sip if someone offered.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

found this short discussion on the same topic (well, for fermenting, not distilling).

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/sho ... eadid=4597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

There is also U-tube video of some guy fermenting coke. He had to add a bunch of baking soda to make it work.
19Kilo
Novice

Post by 19Kilo »

there are bunches of you tubes on distilling the coke. Notice all of them are using them are using a beaker, saran wrap, and plastic tubing.
BAH!
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

too true, but they do show how to get it going...they supply the recipe, you supply the intelligence :P
Kappax
Novice

Post by Kappax »

thanks i will check out the youtube videos and see if it is truly possible
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

If there using baking soda,it would cause problems if distilled.
Kappax
Novice

Post by Kappax »

wineo wrote:If there using baking soda,it would cause problems if distilled.
What kind of problems would the baking soda cause?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Using baking soda on a stripping run{1st run}will produce ammoina and it will react with the copper/materials in your still and make the booze undrinkable.
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

Given that he just wants to increase the pH, there must be a alternative thats going to be ok to distill.

Chalk for instance?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

It is not the baking soda itself that is the problem, it is the increased pH. It doesn't matter what you use to raise pH. If it goes above about 6 (from memory) then you can get the problems Wineo described.

Also, high pH will not always cause a problem, only if there is excess ammonia-based nutrient left over after the ferment has finished.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
high-grade
Novice

Post by high-grade »

First post here... and have been reading up for the last 4 months. Thanks alot to all the wise folks here! :D

I was just looking at thus thread http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4112 and was going to try a Pepsi wash for my bokabob mini to make a neutral; I've made birdwatcher's recipe (for sugar wash) with very good results.

I'll try this wash soon, as I have some extra bottles of Pepsi that everyone forgot about, and I was about to dump out.