Rookie spirit run

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cliffie68
Novice

Rookie spirit run

Post by Cliffie68 »

I have a three gallon stainless steel pot still. I am using sugar, water and yeast to make 6.5 gallons of mash. I am producing about 5 quarts of clear liquid (heads, hearts and tails) which distills at about 186 degrees. (ranging from 40-74% abv) After a few first runs, I collected about 3 gallons of the heads, hearts and tails, I put it all back in the still to distill it again. The liquid produced 3 quarts of clear liquid at 174 degrees, and then began to get hotter. The condensing tube started shooting out steam very rapidly and I had to turn the heat off. I tried to reheat the liquid, but the same thing happened. The 3 quarts that I did yield, tested at about 86-90% abv. But I was unable to distill any more liquid from the pot because it was boiling over.
My questions:
#1 is there a way for me to extract more drinkable liquid from what is in the pot?
#2 will there be any added benefit to adding the leftover clear liquid to my next run?

Any advice or suggestions?
Using Tapatalk
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Rookie spirit run

Post by still_stirrin »

Cliffie68 wrote:I have a three gallon stainless steel pot still...The 3 quarts that I did yield, tested at about 86-90% abv. But I was unable to distill any more liquid from the pot because it was boiling over.
Amazing...you can pull 86-90%ABV (172-180 proof) from a potstill? That is better than most here, even if using a doubler.

Is there a Troll here somewhere?
Cliffie68 wrote:My questions: #1 is there a way for me to extract more drinkable liquid from what is in the pot?
I think you "got it all". In other words, there isn't any more alcohol in the backset (left over liquid in the boiler). You're done...drain and charge the boiler for the next run. Unless you have a way to turn "water into wine"...like Jesus.
Cliffie68 wrote:#2 will there be any added benefit to adding the leftover clear liquid to my next run?
I think this is answered by the answer to question #1.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Cliffie68
Novice

Post by Cliffie68 »

Thanks for the reply. I just felt that there is more alcohol in the still. It smells strong. And the alchometer is reading 20%.
Using Tapatalk
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Alchometer is only for distilled liquids. It won't read correctly in anything else.