novice dissertation

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Goat
Novice

novice dissertation

Post by Old Goat »

Two years ago, I lived in Tampa, Florida, living there for 20 years, leaving NC in 1987 for the excitement of hot women, motorcycles and living in paradise. It was all of the above, but at the age of 57, the palm trees were nice, the women weren't so hot anymore, and neither was I, doing the biker thing had lost it's appeal. A longtime riding buddy, bought a small farm and invited me to come up, share expenses, and semi-retire. This was very tempting as my mother and brothers were close by and had not seen them except rarely over the past 20 years. At the time, I had a proffessional position at a major hotel corporation and found it very hard to leave. My friend constantly called me to ask me to move up and make some "moonshine". This peaked my interest being in food service most of my life, so I looked into it without much of an idea that I would actually do it.
As coincidence would have it, I had an injury that took me out of work and gave me the opportunity to visit my friend and family, and decided now was the time to move back home.
After deciding that I was going to make the move, I ordered a reflux/pot still as I don't have the skills or resources to make my own. I have now made 4 or 5 batches, some good, some not so good, one bad. I do make my own fermenting buckets, and try to find ways to cut the prices of the brew suppliers. For example, I use cracked corn from the feed supplier, $16 for 50 lbs. I like golden promise malted barley, so, I order that. As far as yeast, I use whatever I have. I have used bakers, dry champagne, turbo48, and whiskey with AG, and they all work. Some better than others, but they all work.
I guess what I am saying is for all you newbies out there, is just do it. Do it your way and learn from it. It is a terrific hobby. And if you have to go to the liquor store, you haven't done your job.

Cheers

PS This was written under the influence of my fresh sour mash, as I can't sleep anymore.
Have fun, get high, just don't Drink and Drive.
Moonshine is the next best thing to sex, and at my age, let the moon shine on!
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Welcome to the obsession!
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

As soon as you've read the safety precautions to follow....just do it is the best advice. You can tell someone everything you know and it helps, but is no match for rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands to smell like foreshots! Welcome aboard.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.