clearing a UJSM with egg whites???

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

clearing a UJSM with egg whites???

Post by Safegyde »

Hello shiners. Question for you all. I need to clear my wash and on the front of keeping cheap I wanted to just use a couple of egg whites. I don't really have the time to let it settle . . . . . . . . . . . . well, ok. I just don't WANT to wait for it to settle. It's like Christmas waiting to see how it will turn out. So I know that the best overall method would be the factor of time.

Without patiently waiting :wink: I am going to use the egg white. I just wonder about a few things.

1. I guess the egg soaks to the bottom and clears the yeast on the way down. So how do you not get them into your boiler? I know there isn't much of a chance of it getting into the column, but what about smell and taste?

2. Will that mess up my sour mash making? It makes sense to try and remove the egg if doing the UJSM. Don't want an egg-splosion!! :lol:
But seriously, if I clear with the egg, should I just not use the remaining yeast in the next wash and just use the backset for the UJSM?

Thanks for your help on this one fellas.
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

I'd rack off of the corn/yeast and then do the egg whites in a different container (If I was going to do that at all).

maybe keep some backset in the fridge/freezer ready to restart a batch after racking off, and then you can still do the eggwhites and distill the next day.
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Egg whites are used to remove certain tannins from red wine. They don't especially do anything to clear yeast, except maybe coincidentally while you are waiting for the egg whites to drop out, the yeast will also settle.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Not trying to pick a fight here, Zymos. I am genuinely interested in the distinction between what you call finings, and clearing agents. Got some references I can read up on?

Apart from what stillers here have to say, all I have to go on is a single experiment I did. Split a wash into two, used egg white on one, and not on the other. The egg white one was clearer and had more sediment on the bottom after two days. It was a plain sugar wash so there cannot have been much tannin in it.

Cheers
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Cleared stubborn beer with egg whites. takes a day or two usually.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you can put in cold place it will help
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

Safegyde, 90% of what I make is UJSM. Once the fermenting has stopped, which is usually a day or so before I can distill it, it has cleared enough for me.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
belialNZ
Bootlegger

Post by belialNZ »

Yeh, I'm the same.

It ferments... I notice its stopped, but I'm kinda busy with stuff, but make a mental note that if I get some free time in the upcoming weekend, its ready...

And by the time I take it off, its more than clear enough to distill.
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Put it this way: egg whites have been used practically forever in red wines, because they remove some of the harsher tannins. They are never used in wine (by anyone who knows about fining agents) to help settle yeast.

In addition, I can find no references to any traditional use of egg whites in brewing beer or distilling (except on the wiki where it mentions floating egg whites on top of a mash to gauge how sweet it is, or something).

So, maybe they could work, yet, out of all the things brewers have, and still do, use to clarify beer, egg whites are not known to be one of them, even though their use in wine to remove tannin is well known.

Therefore..... :?
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

why bother... have some patience and let it settle. I think you are just making work for yourself.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Fair comment JD. The reason I have been using various clearing agents is that when I started I only had one fermenter (plastic 60 litre). But recently I have gotten my hands on another 3 of them, 2 x 50 litre kegs (in excellent condition), and 1 x 20 litre plastic. So just waiting for the wash to settle has now become a more viable option. It would certainly be easier.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Thanks for your help guys. I want to let it settle, less work, but also less shine in the meantime!!

I think I will split it in two and settle one with egg whites and the other I will just do a stripping run on it and do a few more runs to make sure the yeast is all cleared out.

I will re-post once I see if the egg whites helped clear it at all. :wink:
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Safegyde wrote:I will re-post once I see if the egg whites helped clear it at all. :wink:
Please do.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

You just don't need to go to that much trouble for UJSM.
Wait till it's finnished and run it is all i do.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I agree with punkin,Theres no need to clear a UJSM.You may want to strain it enough to keep the bits of grain out of your boiler,but as soon as it doesnt taste sweet anymore,its good to go!
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

:D Damn it man, It smells sooooooo gooooood!!!! I LOVE that smell. (the mash of course) Am I alone in this?? I doubt it. :D :D Makes me smile when I smell it. Hope it tastes as good as it smells.

I gotta keep my nose out of it. :wink:
inspeedway
Novice

Post by inspeedway »

after racking ujsm into glass carboys i did the egg white stuff and after 2 days it was still floating on top and other had settled down so i racked into
boiler and run it- heck with that egg-white chit---my experiance!!!!
inspeedway
Novice

Post by inspeedway »

ohh i did put it on the front porch where it was cold -maybe thats why
the eggs just floated - i could just see having poched eggs in boiler after
the run!!! thats why i racked it into the boiler!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

i do not think you are supposed to whip the eggs just stir into top
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

stir one egg white into about one cup of the wash then pour it back in. Make sure you sterilize the container first. Don't just dump the egg white in.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling