moonshine help

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hounded66
Novice

moonshine help

Post by hounded66 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:15 am

I have been reading and I came up with a few questions for making moonshine. on the homepage under the moonshine section. I havent figured out what sloping back is yet ... can someone tell me or point me in the right direction? The are alwways talking of cooking their shine then adding more corn and sugar .. does this start to ferment again or do ther just put taht right back on the cooker again?

big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:24 am

read the thread 3 below yours" turbo 48 " husker points it out there. i think i seen a glossery of terms some where on here i think its in the newbie fa
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait

Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:35 am

If this is what you were reading on the main site:

"Another trick to flavor continuity is called "slopping back", and I use this as well. After my last run, I save 5 or 6 gallons of the spent liquor remaining in the boiler and use this as a portion of my initial mash-in water for the next mash. This assures ideal ph for the new mash, provides good flavor continuity, and eliminates what would otherwise be a disposal issue."

This is the also called backset. Its simply what is left in the boiler after a run. Its used to make sour mash.

Under the Tried and True Recipe sticky read Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash Method. It will be explained in detail.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling

Husker
Admin

Post by Husker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:41 am

If you want the "bible" to moonshine for this site, then go no farther than the "Uncle Jesse's Sour Mash" post in the tried and true recipes forum. Simply follow THAT recipe, you will get quality results.

H.

hounded66
Novice

Post by hounded66 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:00 am

i cant believe I missed that thanks for pointing out uncle jesse's sour mash that is the best article i have read.... makes things clear now

Husker
Admin

Post by Husker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:48 pm

Blue,

I read his post. Yes, I knew he was reading from the "parent" site. The parent site is a treasure trove of information, however, it has not been updated properly in a LONG time. It (along with this forum, and most any other free "public" source), will also be very deep in partial information, conflicting information, etc.

Thus, I simply chose to point him in the right direction. You can read the parent site, or these forums, and simply become overwhelmed with advice, counter advice etc.

However, out of that mountain of information (good and bad), there are some GREAT jewels of insite into just what the F to do. The UJSM recipe is one such golden nugget. That was why I decided to point him in that direction.

Note, I could have simply stated that slop was left over residue in the boiler, after distillation, and "slopping back" is simply to add some of that material back into your next fermentation. However, in spoon feeding just the exact question he had posed, I would have not helped hounded solve any of the other dozens of questions he might have had. However, pointing him in a better direction, he should now be able to get most all of his questions answered by simply reading over what has been posted before.

H.

Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Husker:

My reply was not directed at you!!

There was some ass on here going by "HYCHEESE". and my reply was directed at him. His post (which was between mine and yours) has been removed since my reply which indicates to me he has been kicked off the forum...good riddance. He had been in several sections all day with nothing but smart ass remarks.

I'm going to edit my initial reply to him since it now directly follows yours and I don't want anyone, including you, to think I was disrespecting you or your good advice.

Old Blue
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling

Husker
Admin

Post by Husker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:52 pm

Blue,

Trust me, I was not irritated at you. I was simply pointing out why I would rather direct people to certain "key" posts, than fully spoonfeed answer each tiny question they have.

H.

nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 pm

OldBlue/Husker;

I'm one of those who reads this forum 5 or 6 times a day. I read the cheese guy's responce and OldBlues right behind it.

Cheese dude was out of line.

When posts get deleted its easy to get the wrong impression.

Tater
Admin

Post by Tater » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

nutmg1 wrote:OldBlue/Husker;

I'm one of those who reads this forum 5 or 6 times a day. I read the cheese guy's responce and OldBlues right behind it.

Cheese dude was out of line.

When posts get deleted its easy to get the wrong impression.
I removed 3 or 4 posts by hicheese because the rude nature of post and sent him a im to cease making such posts.If a misunderstanding was caused it was my fault .Now lets let this post get back on topic enought said. :)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper