12 min. Old Scotch

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tideliner
Novice

12 min. Old Scotch

Post by Tideliner »

Finally getting to run my still for the first time..!

I read somewhere on this site, that Coopers Lager makes a pretty simple wort for a quick "Scotch" whiskey run. It's true....

At first, the alcohol coming out smelled just like the chemicals I was using at work today to stain & varnish stair nosings. I assume that was methanol. I tossed that, plus a bit more just to be safe.

The next bit smelled a lot better, so I added it to a .75 liter wine bottle 1/4 full of oak shavings. Since the product was still warm, it picked up the "aged oak" essence, & color right away. -Not bad on ice.

I'm sure real grains produce a superior product, but I'm quite happy with the first run.

Thanks Again for everyone's help! :D
stoker
Distiller

Re: 12 min. Old Scotch

Post by stoker »

Tideliner wrote:At first, the alcohol coming out smelled just like the chemicals I was using at work today to stain & varnish stair nosings. I assume that was methanol. I tossed that, plus a bit more just to be safe.
that was probably most ethyl acetate, with a solvent smell.
methanol hardly has a smell.
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

One thing to be VERY careful of, is the first run of your still (any still), will clean out the manufacturing junk out of it (left over solder flux, and other nasty trash).

It is very customary (and safest), to do a throw away run first, to get the still cleaned (some do a couple of throw away runs).

You might be careful with this first run. It may not be a clean as you would hope it is.

H.
Tideliner
Novice

Post by Tideliner »

Damn !

I might be throwing things out then.... Should have gone with straight white sugar for a first run.

I did make the still myself, & cleaned it several times with soap & hot water. :?
3rd Duke Boy

cleanlyness

Post by 3rd Duke Boy »

yes run a few crap washes or vineger and water through it... it worked for me and i was glad i did run the water....i saw black carbon from my pipes because i had a very hot torch! 8)
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

A water run will not do a good throughout job of cleaning. It will clean some, but some of that crap simply will not let go, until you run some hot ethanol vapors through it.

Yes, the "cheap" rotten wine, or cheap sugar wash (or even left over heads/tails for ppl who have been distilling), will clean out the sticky nasties.

H.