I'm an idiot!!!!

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nutmg1
Swill Maker

I'm an idiot!!!!

Post by nutmg1 »

I just started my first batch of UJSM. Seem's easy enough. I followed the directions. Filled the buckets with water. Dumped the corn in. Inverted the sugar. Dumped that in. Started mixing.

Never thought to wash the corn. I have two buckets of dirty sugar water with corn. lol

At least 14 pounds of sugar is only about 6 bucks here. I'm going to skim the floaters, drain and wash the corn then add more sugar water.

I'll never make that mistake again.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Re: I'm an idiot!!!!

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

I have never washed my corn. Just throw it in there with pieces of cob, dust and all. BUT here lately I have had trouble with my washes fermenting as quickly as they should. I wonder if that may be the problem?
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

why ? just skim and use,it just adds" character"
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

Dnderhead wrote:why ? just skim and use,it just adds" character"

Seriously? I get caught up in the fact that certain things don't travel with the vapor but this looks like a bucket of dirty water.

If you say its good to go I'll ferment it and run it Dnder.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Yeah, mine normally looks dark or gray colored water when you mix the corn in. Don't waste all that good sugar.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Not joking that dirty look is from flour/dust from cracking , stems-stalks-sticks-leaves- will float just skim off
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

Dnderhead/Trthskr4;
Thanks for the info. I thought I screwed up.

Do you normally rinse the corn at least or should I just be dumping it in? I can't wait to taste this mash.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I just dump it in with this excuse, if I prerinse the grain all the chaff will be saturated already and not float when I add the water. So I dump it in and then skim off anything that floats. I usually use the rule of thumb that if it's just corn and it floats it's not gonna make any eth so skim it off.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
kullas
Novice

Post by kullas »

Funny thing im reading this, about 4 hours ago I did the same thing for my first UJSM. I keep reading and my questions keep getting answered :D thanks for the posts
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

I get my cracked corn from a local coop here. Its full of husk-???-bits-Cobb and pieces of ???. Ive got a SS strainer and once I mix everything up real good I'll strain all the ??? off the top, I'm starting to leave more and more of that stuff in there. I try to make stuff like they did in the day and I'm sure they didnt worry bout all that ??? stuff :lol: I'm not saying be stupid bout making your mash but once you get to know how things work, the less you worry bout that kinda stuff..
Like Dnderhead said, it adds character and flavors.
Keep on Keeping on...