Arbutus unedo spirit

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fontinha
Novice

Arbutus unedo spirit

Post by Fontinha »

hey guys,

Anyone ever tried fermenting fruits of Arbutus unedo and then distilling the mash? Very typical in the southern region of Portugal, called "Medronho". Arbutus unedo can be found as an ornamental plant/bush in states like California, at least I think...
joes2
Novice

Re: Arbutus unedo spirit

Post by joes2 »

Not personally, but check out

http://homedistiller.org/flavor/liqueurs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It has some info about medronho and fermenting strawberry tree fruit
Fontinha
Novice

Post by Fontinha »

Thanks, I checked it out, it has some statements that are not 100% accurate... I'm from the Algarve region in Portugal....! I might be interpretating wrong the text but you cannot make wine from Arbutus unedo... you only make a mash (or mush, i'm not sure waht's the correct term) anbd distille it. Also there are a few legalized company producing medronho so you can buy it freely.
trevorsm
Novice

Post by trevorsm »

Hey, I've seen few of those trees before; right on about them being in California. Now I know what they're called... strawberry tree, ha. I tried one, and I must say I didn't think it was very good, but perhaps I can grab some next time I see them and try either putting some in a mash or making a liqueur with them.
Fontinha
Novice

Post by Fontinha »

Ferment the fruit and distille it... Much better! Here in the southern part of Portugal it is very appreciated... more than the local "grappa" produced here!
maxn
Novice

Post by maxn »

Bumping this topic because I have a strawberry tree and am interested in trying to make this. I am an utter novice, and would have posted this in the novice forum, but I saw the topic and thought this might be a more appropriate place. I did find this photo essay which offers some clues:

http://www.refoias.net/estila.html

My first question is on mash production: the recipes I have seen call for natural yeast, fermented over the course of several months. I assume that the fruit would need to be macerated/blended/smashed first -- do you think this is correct? In the photos it looks like an open cask is used for the fermentation, with whole fruit layered on the top to reduce contact with the air.

For the still, I assume a pot still should be used, based on the pictures. However, I like the idea of the EasyStill. I have had plenty of lab experience, so I am sure I can run any kind of still, but the convenience of the easy still is tempting (not at the expense of flavor though).

Any pointers, particularly from someone who has done this, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

max
Dr_T
Novice

Post by Dr_T »

Just guessing, no experience-
but I'd say "fruit is fruit" and you could prep and ferment it just like you'd do with grapes or pears or anything else. The authentic product uses wild yeast, but a packet of champagne yeast would likely give you a very drinkable product.
"Get your shine on."
brewmaker1 wrote:This ain't Playboy. You have to actually read the articles in here.