Spirit run that won't end

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nutmg1
Swill Maker

Spirit run that won't end

Post by nutmg1 »

Ok I started with probably about 14 to 14.5 gallons of 40% low wines from a BWSW mash.

I'm running a offset reflux with a 44 inch column stuffed with copper mesh and 3000w to start with 1500w on full for the run.

This is my first real spirit run and I've been running for days now. Probably like 5 times for 6 hours each time. I have collected 30 jars of 92 to 95% etho probably averaging 400 to 450 ml per jar. I'm being very careful so I don't screw up the cuts.

Should I expect the ABV to just start dropping off? So far the temp and ABV have been holding steady. My temp gauge is in the wrong spot so it reads 164 when it equalizes. It’s only climbed 2 degrees to 166.

I just turned it off again!!!!

I've been smelling and tasting the jars and it seems like probably from jar 3 or 4 on they are all good.

Of course my wife thinks they all smell like rubbing alcohol. She's bumming me out. I think it tastes good one drop at a time anyway.

I sure hope this thing ends soon. I have some wine to run as well as some UJSM that's almost ready for the first run.
Hawke
retired

Re: Spirit run that won't end

Post by Hawke »

If my math is right, you have about 10 litres more to collect.
Happy 'stillin :shock:
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Ahh, the joys (or lack there of), of running a reflux still.

For me, they simply take way too damn much time to be much fun. The first still I made was an offset head (still have it, and it is my only true column). It only gets run a couple times a year, and usually only with feigns, and not more than about 6-8 gallons, so that I can do it over a "long" day (start early Sat morning, and run until done).

I find that 90% of what I do is in a pot still. Simply much more enjoyable. They run so much faster, and I find that REAL flavored drinks (rum whiskey brandy), are more of what I like, than trying to mess with neutrals. However, there are a few things I do like neutrals for (khalua, ameretto and panty droppers) but a couple gallons a couple times a year ends up being enough. Also, you can make a pretty decent "neutral" running a clean sugar wash twice (or 3 times) through the pot still, and have a MUCH faster collection rate than using the column.

To each his own, however. Some prefer running with the column. I simply have other things I would like to do with my time (like drinking product or playing cards).

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

In the last 24 hours, I've done 2 stripping runs and a spirit run. Strips took less than 3 hours each, spirit run was 5 hours. Used my liebeg pot for the strips, then switched to the Boka head for the spirit run. (1 UJSM and 1 cooked corn mash) Combined, 6 litres of the two. Ended up with about 2.2 litres of 82%. going to cut it down to drinking strength and age on untoasted oak.

Back to your situation, I think I'd have done at least 3 spirit runs with what your total was.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

Holy crap,

I tried to figure out how much to expect with that Calculator on the parent site but there is a lot of info required on there I have no idea how to get.

10 more liters...lol

I have a pot still here from stilldrinkin just like Jetzon bought. I guess I need to get busy rebuilding it so I have another option.

Will the ABV drop fast when I get into the tails, or will it be a long gradual process?

Is it ok to run it as fast as I can to keep the ABV up? Will that cause off flavors?
Last edited by nutmg1 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

Husker/Hawke

Hawke,
If I ran a neutral in the 80's with a pot still would that make exceptable product or do you need to have it in the low 90's?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

As long as you make your cuts right,it doesnt have to be in the 90s.I potstill my neutrals,and when I get enough,I run it again.Ive never had to run it more than 2 times using my plain ol sugar wash recipe.2 times gets it cleaner than anything I used to reflux.My old offset head got chopped up,and turned into quite a few potstill columns.I just hated running it for hours and hours.I do just about all my whiskeys and rums in a single run.With the rums you just have to back off the molassus a little so the first run flavor isnt overwelming.Ive been using the fancy grade,and brown sugar.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Wineo's better at doing pots than me.
I am still just using mine for stripping, then using the head off my Boka for a spirit run.
(Haven't got my cuts figured out on the pot yet)
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm going to finish this run and start working on my pot still. I just started 50 gallons of 9% Wineo simple sugar wash. Hopefully I have my pot still finished by the time its ready to run.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

nutmg1 wrote:Thanks for the help guys.

I'm going to finish this run and start working on my pot still. I just started 50 gallons of 9% Wineo simple sugar wash. Hopefully I have my pot still finished by the time its ready to run.

Perhaps you might consider the possibility that you may be starting off too big? :roll:

Smaller batches could well be the answer to your time management problems.

IGetEnoughDirtyLooksWithThreeHourRunsPunkin
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I was thanking the same thing Punkin -50 gal wash at 9% =17 L/qt at 92%=cut to40%=40l/qts or about 10 gal somebody must like to drink :shock:
I thank I did the math right
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

That would make about 8 gallons of 100 proof after cuts in my rig.It will take a long time to run all of that,but at least you should be able to clear,and store it until you can get to it.I do mine in 13 or 26 gallon batches,enough for 1 or 2 runs.
Im slowing down now because Im up to my ears in the stuff,and I give alot of it away.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

wineo with them colums can you get 8 at 100 from 50 at 9 with brandy .