New Member Dying to make a good home brew

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cardiomaniac
Novice

New Member Dying to make a good home brew

Post by cardiomaniac »

Brand new on this site. I've dreamed about making quality beer at home for a few decades and would like to know if this can be attained. Have enjoyed many great beer form all over the world with a personal taste for many German beers and polish pilsners but enjoy all many brewery beers in Ontario(ie Mill street and steamwhistle) where I live..

I have tryed the bottle your own places with no pleasure..
I've been reading a lot about how quality beer is made but confusion is setting in so to start with I'm hoping for a few answers to a few questions before I dive in..

1) Can I make beer at home that will have a quality and exciting taste as micro brews have?
2)If Yes, can this only be done by using malted barley grain and grinding it?
3)Does bottle conditioning work?
4)why does the beer from brew your own places lack something if they start from thr grain a turn it into mash?

Your help will be appriciated, thank you, cardiomaniac
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: New Member Dying to make a good home brew

Post by Dnderhead »

I believe it can be done but your on the wrong site you should be looking for a home brewing site
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Aw, dunder...we have a beer room!! You don't have to run him off! He obviously recognized the level of expertise here!!

Cardio...it is most certainly possible to make the best beer you've ever had at home. Visit the beer section, and ask away!
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I was not trying to Chase him off ( he is welcome here if he wants) just not much information on this site ( about beer). a beer forum has much more information from beginner to expert.
recipes, problem solving and step by step instructions.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I don't believe that someone who can't even find a brewing forum and posts on a distilling site is ever gunna have enough patience and dedication to make a top quality anything, let alone a craft like brewing that takes years and dollars to master.
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

I must say, yes we have a beer page on this forum but he would be better going to an ALL beer forum. I would also recomend joining a beer club. The club will allow you to share your beer and taste others to see how your brewing is growing.
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

Well, this suggestion is getting a workout today. Read ' The Complete Joy of Brewing' by Charlie Papazian Avon Press.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
cardiomaniac
Novice

Post by cardiomaniac »

Sorry, Honest mistake. I'll move on
Pumpkin head is so wrong!
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

He means well Cardio, and he definately shows what alot of people think. What he means is that there are forums out there for everything, so maybe finding one that is more tuned for beer is the way that you want to do, rather than ask a bunch of distillers (many who haven't made beer ever) how to do it.

Good luck!
water + sugar + yeast = wine

water + flour + yeast = bread

wine + bread = two things I can make at home