tempering???

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grizzly1
Novice

tempering???

Post by grizzly1 »

I've read in serveral recipes stating to "Temper to 100 proof", How is this done? I did a search on this forume and looked in the home page but all I can find is how to temper to taste.
Hawke
retired

Re: tempering???

Post by Hawke »

Think you are just talking about cutting to 100 proof with distilled water.
You can do it by trial and error, or there's a calculator on the parent site.
Put in the amount and % of starting ABV and target ABV (50% for 100 proof) and it will tell you how much water to add
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I would thank they mean to blend--- as with water, flavoring , juice, etc
joes2
Novice

Post by joes2 »

Tempering in cooking refers to adding liquids of dissimilar temperature to prevent protein denaturing. For example, tempering scalded cream into an egg mixture to avoid scrambled eggs.

I think tempering in distilling refers to adding water slowly and mixing, or letting diffusion take place so the liquid is mixed before taking a measurement. THis enables you to achieve an exact proof reading without dissimilar concentrations in the alcohol/water solution in your container.

Basically, to temper, add water slowly, mix, then measure, until you get the proof you need. Alternatively, you can calculate the dilution by volume.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Any of you blokes tried adding coloured spirits to water instead of the other way round?

Next time you're cutting a few bottles of bourbon or scotch, put the water in one or two first then slowly pour the alchohol on top...

ICouldWatchItForHoursPunkin
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Used to shoot 7&7 before I knew any better. Take a shot glass and pour in the 7-UP place a handkerchief over the shot glass and push into the glass to the line then pour the Seagram's 7 in on the side of the glass slowly and let it layer. It was cool to watch and you could barely taste the seagrams when you drank it. That was probly a good thing.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

ok thanks. I thought tempering was to cut down. But I have learned so many new things on this forum that I thought maybe there was a way to temper UP on proof. what do I know I'm still learning.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

grizzly1 wrote:I thought maybe there was a way to temper UP on proof.
There is. It is called distillation. Simply run again, and proof will increase (up to a point).

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Husker wrote:
grizzly1 wrote:I thought maybe there was a way to temper UP on proof.
There is. It is called distillation. Simply run again, and proof will increase (up to a point).

H.

I keep some of my white dog and don't oak or dilute for that very reason. If I overshoot on my water somehow and go below 40% or whatever I'm shooting for I just add the extra higher proof white and up it a bit.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.