pickle smell

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grizzly1
Novice

pickle smell

Post by grizzly1 »

just had to share this with everyone. I did a run of UJSM and did my cuts in several mason jars. Thanks to Tater's recipes I'm a little low on my jars I use for only distilling, so I decided to clean up some old jars I used for pickling. Even though I soaked them in bleach and washed them in the dishwasher I had one jar that the alcohol still was able to pull the pickle smell and taste out after a week of sitting. It's only the glass jars I reused. I replaced the tops and lids.

My wife calls it my pickle hooch.
tracker0945
Trainee

Re: pickle smell

Post by tracker0945 »

This could be the start of something big.:?

or did someone else already use that line :o

Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Double whammy, as if the hooch wasn't enough to pickle your innards. Pickled liver anyone?
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

That puts you in a real pickle eh? :roll: [groan]
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I use my pickle jars for collecting foreshots and feints. The smell doesn't carry over when you put the feints back in. The fores' don't seem to add any flavor to my charcoal in the BBQ.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat