cookin old style

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: cookin old style

Post by goose eye »

that it do it just dont smell like likker.
mite be that blue pack by jug is one of them refreze thangs. would make coolin barel water cooler than outside temp
edit or could be tarp to hide his spot

im probly wrong. aint never noed no one cook that way.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

In the last picture, on the rock under the vac is an upside down V-shaped wet mark and you can follow it up to the output pipe. I don't think the blue thing is an ice pack but I could be wrong. He might have wated to add water until it got up to temp. Just my take.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
eagleatmach2
Novice

Post by eagleatmach2 »

the water level is just below the out put hole for the vac hose and runnin that fast does heat it up quick I had to empty the shop vac and refill with the water hose before that jar was full and did lose some to vapor while I pumped out the barrel and refilled it. My next change is to swap out the shop vac for a 55 gallon drum I put the cap on the end of the out put because when she cooks that fast she over shoots the jar .The condensing coil is over 15 feet long so theres plenty of coils under the water.the thermometer is attached to a copper plug that fits inside the pipe they were used on wood fired hot water heaters. At the time the photo was takin she was puttin out 160 proof.
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

If you want a way to avoid overshooting and keep from splashing or anything...

you might find that cutting the tip of the output pope at an angle and touching the tip of the point it makes to the inner edge of the distillate vessel... no way it can miss like that, only prob is getting the vessel to the right height. it's a nice trick I learned in the distillation part of a chemistry class a couple of years ago. The distillate should leave the pipe and travel down the edge of the vessel.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

cookin that much wood an a 55 gal drum wont keep up without addin water.
take a peace of 1/2 pipe 12 inch long an solder to spicket. take 55 gal drum an oposit side likker gonna come out drill holl an weld spiket to side of barel at botom. that pipe should reach bout center of barel in case you go to condencer in future. if you do you gonna to have to boards run side by side long pipe to keep it off botom an level. take shim a put under conder opisite ever which way you runin your liker.
at top of barel weld to brackets to slide a peace of wood so condencer dont float. bout 1/4 turn at top drill hole an weld a stub to screw a hose to an that will be your over flow an that way you aint got wet feet . with spicket you can ajust your water flow dependin . you gonna need a warshin machin hose to hook up hose to spicket.

so im tole

you cooked with that outfit long.
Last edited by goose eye on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by minime »

goose eye wrote:cookin that much wood an a 55 gal drum wont keep up without addin water.
take a peace of 1/2 pipe 12 inch long an solder to spicket. take 55 gal drum an oposit side likker gonna come out drill holl an weld spiket to side of barel at botom. that pipe should reach bout center of barel in case you go to condencer in future. if you do you gonna to have to boards run side by side long pipe to keep it off botom an level. take shim a put under conder opisite ever which way you runin your liker.
at top of barel weld to brackets to slide a peace of wood so condencer dont float. bout 1/4 turn at top drill hole an weld a stub to screw a hose to an that will be your over flow an that way you aint got wet feet . with spicket you can ajust your water flow dependin . you gonna need a warshin machin hose to hook up hose to spicket.

you cooked with that outfit long.
Damn Goose for a guy who "aint ever run no likker an aint gona in the future" you sure are a wealth of knowledge :lol:
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

my two cents.... can't see well enuff to tell about twist but it reminds me of one that surges when push hard. photo could have been shapped at the strongest part of the surging. looking at the fire its running wide open. but what do i know???
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

goose eye wrote:yall need to forget bout me an think bout picture.
what else aint addin up.
Just wondering if you're implying that this might be bait?
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I was wondering the same thing Violent Blue.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i call b*ll sh#t! he may be cooking with this this think but the photos are fake. lighting isnt right and the shadows arent right. i smell something. who else in here can get 3qts an hour at 160 proof?
Day Late;Dollar Short
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Boy I don't know, sure hate to call someone a liar I ain't sure is. I got a short 2" column into 1" and I can't get 80% at no more than 3 pints per hour with a liebeg condenser. Second set of eyes says that 2nd photo looks altered or fake.
Sure will make a feller shy though.

Eagle at Mach 2 sounds like former military maybe gone popo. Just my take but makes me a bit nervous.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

look at his previus posts something smells, most of the pictures he's posted look like they've been badly photoshopped.

looks like bait to me
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

violentblue wrote:look at his previus posts something smells, most of the pictures he's posted look like they've been badly photoshopped.
I thought that middle photo was photoshopped the moment I saw it. Look at the edges and shadows for the column, thermometer, lyne arm, and drop into the condenser, it just ain't right.

Goose is right, these pics just don't add up.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

I knew the shadows were off in the second one, but taking another look the piece of rusty iron being used as a heat shield actually casts a shadow on the flames.

I wasn't about to point out how I knew it was fake, just so they could fake it better next time, but since its been done.
all the pictures lighting and shadows are inconsistent, as well as relitive resolution of individual objects in the picture.
not sure about the reasoning for posting pic like these, maybe its to lend credibility to his story/caracter so he can meet some of us face to face to collect "evidence"?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

no come back / no comment / no defence ? if some one called you out , wouldn't you say something ?
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Dnderhead wrote: wouldn't you say something ?
if he were genuine he would

best case scenerio, he got caught BSing
worst case scenerio, he was attempting entrapment
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I was thanking more on the BS side .I would thank Johnny law, should /would have much better photos. maybe of confiscated stills /set ups etc.
also he said that he was dong a striping run . at 160% ? in a pot still?
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Dnderhead wrote:no come back / no comment / no defence ? if some one called you out , wouldn't you say something ?

Old Goose is looking less paranoid and more shrewd each post.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

just cause your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
It smells like the popo to me, trying to target someone in particular, or just see what the can find.
cant see them going after someone just making stuff for themselves, probably looking for big fish.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

I figure anyone faking up photos of a still would probably try making something that looked slicker.
They might be doctored to remove people or identifying signage but I just cant see any authority types making their big undercover foray into the dangerous and exotic world of illicit home distilling by posting funky looking photos of a silicone smeared shop vac. As for unrealistic claims... there are at least a dozen reasons (most of which aren't sinister) why a person might try to say that their rig is performing above and beyond what you know to be physically possible and at least six of those reasons have to do with the person saying it believing that it's true.

There are two filters you ought to apply when you sense a conspiracy. Occam's Razor "All things being equal, the simplest explanation is probably correct." and Hanlon's Razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Mind you, I'm not calling anyone stupid.
I'm just saying that dumb mistakes, whether they appear in the form of not measuring proof correctly or of flat out making stuff up to impress the intimidating mass of new potential friends... are each far more likely than an elaborate and complex scheme to blend into the community by making a big splash with pictures of a dogpatch looking kit and a handful of strange claims... so as to infiltrate and bust a community of folks who are on the nobody give a rats ass end of a buggy-whip law.

And the whole "I can see that it's photoshopped! The shadows are all wrong!" thing is an enormously tired and overused bit of net forum doomsday weapon... you can say it about anything... there's no defense and it doesn't need to be true to bring a discussion to its knees. Billions of words are devoted to tedious and unprovable unwinnable arguments mired forever and stalemated by this ploy... we could start right now... but it would be an enormous waste of time and energy.

If you really want to have fun with the photoshop gambit use it in real life about real life things... it confuses the shit out of people. Say your friend digs out a little box and holds it out to show saying: "Hey look at this cameo brooch I bought my wife for her birthday, I got it on ebay, I'm giving it to her tomorrow." You can reply: "Dude! Looks like you got ripped off! That's obviously photoshopped! look how the shadow of the pin falls at a different angle from the shadow of the silhouette... and see how they covered up the stock mark of the jewelry store site they downloaded it from here.... and here?"
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

And the whole "I can see that it's photoshopped! The shadows are all wrong!" thing is an enormously tired and overused bit of net forum doomsday weapon... you can say it about anything...
But sometimes it is true. And if it is true, you have to ask why it has been done that way. Might not be anything to worry about, but it might, and it sure as hell pays to be a bit careful in our situation. Might want to ask yourself how many other doctored photos you've seen from other members here. I don't recall too many (ie none).

I think Goose gave us a necessary and pointed reminder of a very important lesson in life: Pay attention to the details, and check they match the story you're being told, especially when you're dealing with completely anonymous strangers.

Don't know about you, but I am grateful for that reminder.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

HookLine wrote:
But sometimes it is true. And if it is true, you have to ask why it has been done that way. Might not be anything to worry about, but it might, and it sure as hell pays to be a bit careful in our situation. Might want to ask yourself how many other doctored photos you've seen from other members here. I don't recall too many (ie none).

I think Goose gave us a necessary and pointed reminder of a very important lesson in life: Pay attention to the details, and check they match the story you're being told, especially when you're dealing with completely anonymous strangers.

Don't know about you, but I am grateful for that reminder.
Doesn't hurt to be a little suspicious, keeping in mind that most of us here don’t really want word to get out what we’re doing.
Speaking as someone who has modified more than one image, I can point out some very specific artifacts in the pictures and tell you how they most likely got there.
As to the reasons for doctoring up images like that, I can only speculate. None of the reasons, I can think of, smell too good to me.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Fourway wrote:... are each far more likely than an elaborate and complex scheme to blend into the community by making a big splash with pictures of a dogpatch looking kit and a handful of strange claims... so as to infiltrate and bust a community of folks who are on the nobody give a rats ass end of a buggy-whip law.
Popcorn might disagree with you on that one.
if they're looking for producers, this is good a place as any to start. Might not find the big fish here, but theres a chance someone here knows of them. Build trust, gather information etc.

I've shown a grand total of 2 people my still, and spoken with a total of 3 face to face about distilling. in my books thats probably too many.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Fourway wrote:If you really want to have fun with the photoshop gambit use it in real life about real life things... it confuses the shit out of people. Say your friend digs out a little box and holds it out to show saying: "Hey look at this cameo brooch I bought my wife for her birthday, I got it on ebay, I'm giving it to her tomorrow." You can reply: "Dude! Looks like you got ripped off! That's obviously photoshopped! look how the shadow of the pin falls at a different angle from the shadow of the silhouette... and see how they covered up the stock mark of the jewelry store site they downloaded it from here.... and here?"
Relevant: http://xkcd.com/331/ I've been waiting for a while to use that one. Sorry, couldn't pass it up. :oops:

It pays to be a little suspicious when we're doing something a little less than legal here. I totally agree with Hook and Violet. There usually aren't many good reasons to modify a picture unless it's to take out incriminating artifacts like somebody's face or a local sign or something.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Now that I look closer I can see a couple things that make the photo look doctored, which got me to thinking. If I was the law looking to post a photo, wouldn't it be easier to set up an actual rig and photgraph it? And if I was the law what kind of rig would I choose? I'd pick a setup similar to what most everyone else here is using, a reflux or pot still heated with gas or an electric element. All this leads me to think somebody made up a picture to impress us. Any law man who isn't a complete newb is going have access to all the same info we do here and then some, and if he was serious about fooling us he'd probably start of a little more credibly and subtly.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

fourway please claryfy your opinion on the need for security in makein likker.
makein likker is the easy part
so im tole

i dout it the law im figurein he tryin to fit in.
take a jug fill with water like picture then pour small stream like picture.

i dont no of any old likker dicks could make a livein on a haf barel outfit
so im tole
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I think I would have spilled the beans on a ruse by now. Ain't much short cut to fitting in around here, you either know your stuff or you keep reading and asking questions. You can't have a family of all old folks, got to be several different generations from cradle to grave to make it.

Fourway, you need to talk with Old Goat about any body giving a rats ass about us and our hobby. Come to think about it I haven't seen him around since a little while after he got busted.

I think alot of us are all too open with our little hobby. It's not too hard for the fuzz to track us off the forum here, or from some of our brew shops and online shopping. I never buy propane from the same place locally or grain and send my wife or friends every other time to get sugar from Sam's. Goose has probably seen many a shiner get caught right after saying that he won't or can't be caught.

Exaggerating to fit in ain't the way to go, there's folks in this world who have enough time on their hands to sit around and try to poke holes in the truth but we call them politicians.

Sorry I couldn't make this all more elaborate but I've been tired lately. Alot more to say but too tired to say it. Point: Be vigilant anyway.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

wont meanin to get this goin like it gone was tryin to learn them that didnt no bout likker twistin an water not.

so im tole
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

, I stumbled across a site once ,police training what to look for - they mostly look for large purchases of sugar and such, most of the small bust--is
because they are after you for something else and stumble across your still / works . people coming and going stay just a few minutes and leave
( also goes for drugs) puling up with a car and have a crowd appear. especially if you open the trunk.(or it appears they leave with something) buying 50 lb of chicken feed ant going to do it , buying 2 ton of malt will (and does) bring attention. as does buying 500lb of sugar. they look for unusual
activity (as you electricity/ utilities jump) maybe I did not word this right but you git the idea
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I think alot of us are all too open with our little hobby.
I think that is true. It is easy to get comfortable and complacent about this forum, and start believing you are among trusted friends, but very few of us personally know other members. It doesn't hurt to be careful in this hobby.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.