Louche no matter what

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JuanFlaco
Novice

Louche no matter what

Post by JuanFlaco »

I would really apreciate some help here... I managed to build my DIY still with a beer keg, a 2 inch column 70cm tall and a copper worm, using it as a pot still by heating it with the kitchen stove. It works pretty much according to theory. The thing is that after my fourth run attempt, the product always comes cristal clear but after i make my cuts and dilute to 80 or 90 proof it comes cloudy. That happened with corn whisky twice, and also brandy and even sugar wash. Right now I'm fermenting a new sugar wash to try again, but I'm not sure of what I'm doing wrong. I already made a vinegar run, eliminate anything that's not metal in the vapor path, runing it slowly etc and couldn't solve it :crazy:

Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Louche no matter what

Post by still_stirrin »

Lousy cuts. The tails contain oils that remain emulsified at higher proof. But, when you dilute with water, the oils coalesce and form that “cloud” you see. The good thing is that it gives a big grain flavor. The bad thing is its appearance.

If you make better cuts, eliminating the tails from your hearts cut jars, then the likelihood of the cloud forming will diminish. Practice makes this easier to accomplish. And being “greedy” with your keeper jars won’t help the situation either.

Better cuts....bottomline.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
JuanFlaco
Novice

Post by JuanFlaco »

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice! I'm sure that's pretty much the problem. Last run, a couple of days ago, i experimented diluting little samples of each jar of the cuts and all of them seemed to get cloudy... that's what's drives me crazy. Anyway, I'm heading that way, perhaps also a slower run too. Thanks again.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

For your potstill, I would recommend stripping and collecting the low wines into a single vessel. You can take out a 100 ml foreshots cut at the very start and dispose of it properly, ie - burn pile, ant killer, window washing fluid, etc., if you’d like. It will reduce the foreshots in the spirit run to follow.

Then, recharge your boiler with the collection of low wines from 3 stripping runs. You’ll have nearly a 3/4 full charge averaging roughly 25-30%ABV. When you run this charge (a spirit run), collect into 20 to 30 appropriately sized jars. Then, air them out overnight with a coffee filter over each jar top. Then, make your cuts (after airing overnight) according to Kiwistiller’s Guide to Cuts. The heads and tails you cut out can be combined and kept for a rerun as feints.

But, when you make your choice of jars to keep as hearts, be very critical of your senses. The hearts from a potstill spirit run will probably get you to 110 to 120 proof (55 to 60 %ABV). And these, when tempered to 45%ABV (90 proof), should not cloud too bad. It may pick up a very slight cloud, but certainly not “milky”.

Be critical with what you keep as hearts. I would estimate that your hearts cut would be between 30% and 50% of the collected product from the spirit run, and this includes the portion cut as heads and tails. Of course, these are approximations based upon normal conditions such as ferment potential alcohol, ferment health, yeast selection, and even recipe. Also, your still type and construction may influence the carry over of congeners throughout the run. So, “what you’ve got” and “how you run it” can affect the quality and size of your hearts cut.

So, there you go....a “spoon fed” lesson on what you can do with your DiY potstill and copper worm. Help?
ss

p.s. - When you temper (dilute) the spirit to drinking strength, use distilled water or reverse osmosis (RO) filtered water only. Tap water may have minerals in it that will contribute to the cloud as the alcohol is diluted.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
JuanFlaco
Novice

Post by JuanFlaco »

Thank you for taking the time to explain so generously. The last doubt (for now) is what about instead of 3 stripping runs I make 2? Would I have some issues with volume proportions? I mean, for example, what happens if I fill the 50L boiler with just 15L?

Salud!
Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:29 pm Lousy cuts. The tails contain oils that remain emulsified at higher proof. But, when you dilute with water, the oils coalesce and form that

ss
Good answer S.S. I recently modified a gin recipe. I made the mistake of running into 'Tails' around -20% - I could see water condensation forming on my sight glasses. On tasting, it seemed so good, strong flavours still coming over so I decided to run on. When I proofed down I had a mild louche. Fortunately, I had some 45% stock gin. In a hydometer glass I added a sample of the 'Louched spirit' then topped up with good spirit until the louche disappeared, then scaled up the amount needed to clear my new gin. Result, clear as a bell.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

JuanFlaco wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:13 am I mean, for example, what happens if I fill the 50L boiler with just 15L?
That depends on your stil. If you run internal electric heating you may burn out your heating element if the liquid level gets too low.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That's one of the reasons you'll see a bunch of over proof on the shelves. Saves on the labor (agony) of insuring a more appealing aesthetic.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.