Why is this so?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

le0n
Novice

Why is this so?

Post by le0n »

I run an offset head valved reflux Nixson Stone style still.

Every time I distill a wash ( always Birdwatchers ) the reflux temp is different, varies between 78.2c and as high as yesterdays run of 81c.

By reflux temp I mean the temp at the top of the column with the outlet valve closed and after at least 10 minutes of refluxing or stabilizing the column.

As far as I can I keep the variables like heat input and cooling water flow the same. All I can think of is maybe there is a different mixture of alcohols in my wash because of different ambient temp as I don't use any heating or cooling during fermintation.

It's not a problem as I get approx an 1125 ml bottle of 40% ABV neutral spirit for every one kilo of white sugar used in the wash each time I run the still. Just my search for knowledge. Love this hobby :D :D
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Cheers Leon...
Hawke
retired

Re: Why is this so?

Post by Hawke »

Could be a slight difference of thermo placement, lower wash ABV, more/less heat input or valve setting.
I feel you need to run 100% reflux for a minimum of 20 minutes to equalize the column.

I assume the 40% ABV product is cut down from your take-off?
If it IS the take-off, that rig ain't runnin' right.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
le0n
Novice

Post by le0n »

I assume the 40% ABV product is cut down from your take-off?
If it IS the take-off, that rig ain't runnin' right.

Thanks Hawke, I'm pulling 95% ABV at the take off after cooling to 20c.

Can't change the thermo placement and changing the heat input settings ( Butane ) or cooling water flow doesn't change the reflux temp.

On my next run I will run the reflux for at least 30 minutes and see what happens.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Cheers Leon...
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by minime »

le0n wrote:I run an offset head valved reflux Nixson Stone style still.

Every time I distill a wash ( always Birdwatchers ) the reflux temp is different, varies between 78.2c and as high as yesterdays run of 81c.

By reflux temp I mean the temp at the top of the column with the outlet valve closed and after at least 10 minutes of refluxing or stabilizing the column.

As far as I can I keep the variables like heat input and cooling water flow the same. All I can think of is maybe there is a different mixture of alcohols in my wash because of different ambient temp as I don't use any heating or cooling during fermintation.

It's not a problem as I get approx an 1125 ml bottle of 40% ABV neutral spirit for every one kilo of white sugar used in the wash each time I run the still. Just my search for knowledge. Love this hobby :D :D
My still equalizes at slightly different temps according to barometric pressure on any given day. I don't think its ever been out more than one full degree celsius though. If it's equalizing it doesn't really matter what the temperature is. 95% Sounds like you're doing just fine.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

you checking your sg closely? if the ferment is not done to the same sg the temps will show it. your final quantitys should differ also. less distilite means lower alcohol content in wash means higher temps at column. sounds like with 95% the still is right. check the ferment and also check your thermo. it could be giving bogus readings.
Day Late;Dollar Short
le0n
Novice

Post by le0n »

Thanks Ricky,

That makes sense as i think I could have been in a bit of a hurrry to still my last wash, the one with the highest reflux temp.

I was partly correctly in my assumption of the fermentation being different. Will have to make sure I let them ferment out completly from now on.

Always learning and no one knows it all.

Love this hobby :D :D
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Cheers Leon...