Rubber Stopper / Bung

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sour Masher
Novice

Rubber Stopper / Bung

Post by Sour Masher »

Hello All,

I bought still plans off of ebay ( before I found this site ). As it turned out, they were for one of those tea kettle pot stills. I put one together and used a rubber stopper / bung ( that i bought from a brew heaven place here ) to seal the kettle. I drilled two holes in it. One for a thermometer and another for the copper tubing. I ran about 5 gallons of wash through it. I have some booze that I would like to try, but I need to know if heating up that stopper might have caused me some quality issues or if it is safe to drink.

Thanks!
Hawke
retired

Re: Rubber Stopper / Bung

Post by Hawke »

Rubber ain't the best.
If the end of the bung is gummy or sticky at all, the alcohol vapor has degraded it and leached some chemicals into your distillate.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I would'nt drink it .. let it be a test / cleaning run .why take a chance on it ? and I would find something besides rubber if it was me .
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

Does the same home brew shop sell cork bungs? a cork one would be just fine.
BillHoo
Bootlegger

Post by BillHoo »

Just make a thick dough of flou and water to plug it up.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you can make a soft wood plug/ cork (as popular)a bung for a barrel mite work.(wood should swell to fit tight)