Fermentation container

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

armstrong
Novice

Fermentation container

Post by armstrong »

What is the best type of container to use for fermentation other than ss. Could i use a 45 gallon drum that was used for honey since it is coated with a food grade paint. I have read that even food grade plastic barrels are not good because the fermentation process can leach out chemicals ,is this true? Thank you in advance.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Fermentation container

Post by Dnderhead »

food grade plastic is ok for the fermentation just not for high proof alcohol
Lil John SVT
Novice

Post by Lil John SVT »

Is a sugar wash considered a strong acohol?
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

Lil John SVT wrote:Is a sugar wash considered a strong acohol?
not untill its distilled...

food grade plastics are the hobbiest standard. every DIY beer or wine shop in the country carries 5 gallon HPDE plastic buckets for fermenting.

stainless steel or glass will also work but can be unrealistic for large batches like 40+ gallons your talking about
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

Lil John SVT wrote:Is a sugar wash considered a strong acohol?
not untill its distilled...

food grade plastics are the hobbiest standard. every DIY beer or wine shop in the country carries 5 gallon HPDE plastic buckets for fermenting.

stainless steel or glass will also work but can be unrealistic for large batches like 40+ gallons your talking about

personally ive used the 'ale pails' as the brew shops call them, basically any 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket. 15.5 gallon SS beer kegs to do fermenting in. ive just upgraded to a larger still so need a bigger fermenter. im looking to get a 55 gallon food grade plastic barrel. you can order them new online or cheap on ebay.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Armstrong, is the interior, or exterior, of the barrel painted? I can't think of any reason why the inside would have bee painted if it's a food grade plastic. Where do you find these?

I wouldn't be afraid to use a food grade plastic barrel, but not if it's been painted. A paint, even a food grade one, that isn't meant to be in long term contact with alcohol, can be softened and returned to its basic chemical makeup. More true of "food" grade water based paints, I'm afraid. A 10% mash, where the stir spoon has nicked the paint a few times, can easily become a problem.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I thank he is talking about plastic coated (inside ) metal barrel
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

these are what i plan to be getting. they are originally for shipping bulk syrups and things to food and drug companys. you can get ones where the entire top is removable for cleaning. 55 gallons food grade 100% HPDE plastic

you can get them new from here http://www.bayteccontainers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow or off ebay for 20-50 dollars. they are also popular for rain catching resiviours for gardens etc

by the way...i too would stay away from anything painted whatsoever
armstrong
Novice

Post by armstrong »

The 45 gallon drums that i was refering to are steel barrels with a food grade coating or paint on the inside.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Your barrel would be fine as long as the coating doesn't get damaged. Once there is steel exposed, it won't take long for it to degrade.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

They say they've been reading, but still they buy hotplates.
Just noticed your signature.

He he he.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

armstrong wrote:The 45 gallon drums that i was refering to are steel barrels with a food grade coating or paint on the inside.

I've got two of em, thought they'd be the go, but after a couple of ferments they start to rust. I use em for storing grains now and have gone to the plastic olive drums for fermenters. They'll work, but only for a little while and the wash eats em, mine only had peach/sugar wash in em a couple times...

It's the 55 gal Ginger drums in the background. Coated with a red, food grade epoxy or paint.
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Post by Spriit Tisler »

Are HDPE plastic rainwater barrels a no-go for fermentation? I have one unused laying around and I was wondering if I could put it in better use.
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

If it is clean, pure HDPE and has no plain steel, coatings/paint...sure.