cold weather yeast

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grizzly1
Novice

cold weather yeast

Post by grizzly1 »

Hey all,

It's been awhile sence I needed to ask a question, and one has come up.

It's getting colder where I'm at and I ferment in 50 gal containers outside. just need to know what type of yeast I can go with that will ferment in colder temps?

I'll be running UJSM durring the winter if this helps.
tracker0945
Trainee

Re: cold weather yeast

Post by tracker0945 »

I think if you could provide maximum and minimum outside temperature scale, someone may be able to provide an answer.

Otherwise your question is very much like 'how long is a piece of string'

Cheers
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

stienburg but it best to wrap it an if you got curent make you a tent an put heat lamp under it
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

Ale yeast work best at temperatures of 55-75 F(13-24C). Lager yeast works best below 50 F (10C) down to 32 F(0 C). Below that you must add a heat blanket. What you need is dependent on the temperature range. The temperature ranges of both are dependent on the individual yeast strain. So,the ranges given are only a guideline.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

insulate the fermenters as well as you can. 50 gallon ferments will produce some heat. not a huge amount, but it will help warm itself. the problem with lager and kolsch yeasts is that they take a long time to work at those lower temps. they're also much more expensive than bakers yeast.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

yea, temp might help. It gets bellow 50 F. I thought about a Lagger yeast but didn't know if it would effect the UJSM.

Buy the way, how long is a piece of string?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Twice the distance from the middle to the end.