Mixed Grain UJSM style

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Mixed Grain UJSM style

Post by SuperDavid »

Hello!
I'm a baker and we do alot of bread with various grain mixes. We recently got in some pre mixed grain that wasn't to popular as a bread.
So I've brought a bag home and I've got some going UJSM style.
Am I making rubish here? or is it possible I might end up with something drinkable?
the grains are ...Kibble Wheat, Kibble Corn, Kibble Rye, Malted Wheat Flakes and linseed.
to me...that sounds pretty good. But I have no idea if mixing all those grains and linseed is going to go well.
Thoughts?

Thanks guys.
David

Hawke
retired

Re: Mixed Grain UJSM style

Post by Hawke »

Everything except the linseed works for me. Might not be too bad though.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

thats what I was thinking....the linseed seems out of place, and I know it's an oily seed.....so I dont know what effect thats going to have.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Just one way to find out. :wink:
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

The way I approach something like this is: what's the worst thing that can happen? You might have to throw out a few ingredients that you could have used for something else, but that's about it.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Go for it... I just racked off some graham cracker wash today and it turned out better than I had expected even though there was greasy sludge on top caused by the vegetable oil (Palm or Soybean) in the ingredients... I wouldn't think Linseed would be all that bad...
smokerscully1
Swill Maker

Post by smokerscully1 »

I bought a bag of cracked corn last summer from the feed store--bear in mind the closest feed store here is 130 miles away. When I opened it up when I got home it seemend real dirty until I looked close. It had some ground up sunflower seeds and what I think is some niger seed in there.--Too small to get it out so I used it anyway for UJSM--then my grandaughter spilt some chicken soup on top of the fermenter when I was mixing it up. That soup caused some oily patches floating on top or maybe it was the oil in the sunflower seeds. It worked off just fine and made some nice corn tasting white-dog. I'll bet you'll be fine.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

You guys are right! Gotta give these things a go!
It's well and truly under way now! It took off like a rocket!
I'd say I'm about 1 centimeter away from having a grainy mess all over my floor!

casper the Irish
Swill Maker

Post by casper the Irish »

Did this work ok superdavid?

I have a similar prob with 25kg rolled barley and another bag of chicken feed, pure kibbled wheat with corn (maize)

Can I make UJSSM with these or will it not allow me to reuse and replenish as UJ intended???