Using Snow

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ftero
Bootlegger

Using Snow

Post by Ftero »

I gave up on making a rain-water collection system. Too much of a hassle to set up on this rented apartment.

However, nature has dumped a ton a snow on us lately, and I thought that I could shovel some up, and dump it in a 55 gallon, plastic drum that I have.
I couldn't find anything specific about using water from snow to ferment, other than a comment about it's being high in Nitrogen.
Is it worth the effort?
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Re: Using Snow

Post by dixiedrifter »

IMO your better off using a 1, 2, or even three stage "chloramine buster" carbon filters than to dick with snow.

However, snow would be good to use in your coolant sump.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

dixiedrifter wrote:IMO your better off using a 1, 2, or even three stage "chloramine buster" carbon filters than to dick with snow.

However, snow would be good to use in your coolant sump.
Why?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I never tried but I whould thank it whould be about the same as rain water
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Anyone who's ever melted a gallon or more of snow will tell you that's it's terribly dirty. Even fresh fallen snow. Everything it touches on the way to the ground(smoke, pollution, acid, etc...), as well as everything that gets blown around, will be in your water.

Melt some and you'll see. Yuck!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Was all way told as a kid not to eat first falling of snow cause pollution.How much ya reckin would have to fall before it was clean?Wouldn't think it would be any dirtier then rain water.However I use well/spring water.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Your folks were right; it's dirty! Everything it can touch on the way down, it scrubs, like power lines, tree branches, everything. And since it's usually fluffy, don't count on the open field to be cleaner, since snow blows all over the place, in even the slightest breeze.

But don't take my word for it; melt you some.
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by minime »

It takes a hell of a pile of snow to make a gallon of water. You fill a 55 gallon drum with snow I don't think you'd get much more than a couple of gallons of meltwater and it would definitely be filthy. Then there's the yellow snow LOL
Ftero
Bootlegger

Post by Ftero »

Thanks for the responses!

I think I have allowed myself to be talked out of it! I am getting a bit bored, being snowed in and all. :D
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Simply because the snow is dirty doesn't mean that it can't be used... A good filtering will do what the earth does naturally... But it is true that it takes a lot of snow to get any amount of water... When I was growing up the figure was 10 inches of snow equals 1 inch of water... Never checked to see if that is an accurate measure...

One thing to remember, however, is that snow will have a lot of particulates in it that might not be good to have in your wash, like wild yeasts and bacteria that can survive cold temperatures... They may not have any bearing on final product but they have an effect on your wash... Boiling the water might help but would almost defeat the purpose...

All that said, while I might use snow, there's too much work involved for guaranteed results - for me, at least...
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Someone posted about using snow in their cooling supply earlier. They halfway filled their cooling reservoir with water, then added snow on top of it to make a slurry. I'm not sure, but I think that the coolant that actually ran through the still ran through a heat exchanger that was immersed within the slurry to avoid contamination.

EDIT: Found the thread. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... hilit=snow
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Ftero wrote:I am getting a bit bored, being snowed in and all. :D
Maybe go make some snow angels?

Here in the Pacific North Wet, as you call it, snow is quite the novelty, but the novelty is wearing thin.
draco
Novice

Post by draco »

Since the clean air act went into effect the snow is actually cleaner than it was 30 years ago. I still would not use it but Scientist at the south poll can show you the layer of ice where the law went into effect. Still I would not use it. If you do you have to watch out where the huskies go... :lol:
20 Liter boiler
1 1/2 in Bok 36in tall with Graham condenser
Pot still head.
I make Absinthe using Wineos "Plain Ol Sugar Wash" and Nigel's "best absinthe so far" recipe.