Column insulation where to buy

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

billy_bob_95
Novice

Column insulation where to buy

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Where can I get pipe insulation to cover a 2 inch copper column? Perfer the slip on kind like found at Home Depot or Lowes. The local stores don't carry anything this big
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
Tater
Admin

Re: Column insulation where to buy

Post by Tater »

Air conditioner parts/supply house
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I just bought a hot water heater jacket which has a foil faced layer of insulation with an R value of 10 (what it said on the tag, with just 1 inch of fiberglass insulation) at Home Depot for 20 bucks and it's about 10' x 4' with tape in it. I kind of tested it out on a fermenter with a thermometer on the side, wrapped the fermenter with a cut to fit piece and put a 250 watt halogen lamp about an inch from it for 4 hours and it never raised the temp in the fermenter (7.5 Gal.) one degree. I'm going to wrap my boiler and column with it and see what happens.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

I wrap the top two thirds of my keg boiler and my column, when I'm using it with a foil backed insulation called "Reflectix". You can but it by the foot at Ace Hardware or by the roll at most home improvement stores. I never thought of the water heater jacket idea...it's probably a better insulator than the Reflectix.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
Smoothride
Novice

Post by Smoothride »

I found it at a local pipe supply house( Flnmar, Holyoke, MA, USA)(yes, that's the correct spelling of the company name). 5 foot piece with self stick seam supposed to be for 2.25"od cast iron pipe for around $5.00 a length, fits 2" copper real nice.
I have realized that I am not as smart as I though I was.
mbasketcase13
Novice

Post by mbasketcase13 »

I found some 2"foam pipe insulation at a place called the Big Blue Store appearently it's a chain store in the southern US. GREAT store to shop in at least for a man, propane gas manifolds and the like. I was likea kid in a candy store :lol: :lol:
remember the 7 p's
prior proper planning prevents piss poor
performance
semper fi
atticpc
Novice

Post by atticpc »

I go for the really low tech approach. When I put everything together to start distilling I wrap the column with a couple fleece scarves. Probably not the best method in the world - but seems to work pretty well.