Issue removing coupler/valve from (Australian) keg

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kronicd
Novice

Issue removing coupler/valve from (Australian) keg

Post by kronicd »

I've acquired a keg with "lion nathans" branding and I'm having a bit of trouble removing the coupling/valve.

I managed to remove the black seal, the spring and a couple of pieces of metal that sat over the spring, however the large metal thing shown in the picture (the coupler?) doesn't seem to want to budge. I've tried putting some metal in the hole and hitting it with a hammer to try and get it to turn as well was prying it upwards with the back of a hammer, both to no avail.

Any assistance would really help!

Last edited by kronicd on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big worm
Trainee

Re: Issue removing coupler from keg

Post by big worm »

on regular kegs the inside valve is turned and pops out, i have never see a keg like that but, the inside valve stem should be able to come out try rotating it and freeing it from the ridge thats holding it. the coupler stays put the actual valve is inside. like i said i havent came across a keg like that. top veiw pic mite help.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
kronicd
Novice

Re: Issue removing coupler from keg

Post by kronicd »

That is what it looks like when it is in tact and here is a picture of what it currently looks like.

The valve seems to turn freely but cannot be removed, it seems like there are three prongs which stick out past the inside of the coupler.
maoule
Bootlegger

Re: Issue removing coupler/valve from (Australian) keg

Post by maoule »

Sorry this hasn't been resolved yet. This set-up is completely foreign to me... my only guess w/o putting hands on it is that you have rotate the body of the valve to a certain point and then it comes out. If you've been beating and banging on it, there may be some burrs, etc. keeping it from exiting easily. I'm surprised some of our Aussie members haven't helped out their mate :) :) Try PMing hookline, punkin, blanikdog, etc. Good luck.
2" Bokmini, VM and potstill heads
7.75gal. & 15.5gal electric boilers
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Not positive but looks like a German "flat top". and I thank the flange screws off (thus the hole for spanner)
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I'm surprised some of our Aussie members haven't helped out their mate Try PMing hookline, punkin, blanikdog, etc. Good luck.
I'd help out if knew what the fuck it was, but I've never seen one before. Pretty well every keg over here is a Sankey.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

maoule
Bootlegger

Post by maoule »

HookLine wrote:
I'm surprised some of our Aussie members haven't helped out their mate Try PMing hookline, punkin, blanikdog, etc. Good luck.
I'd help out if knew what the fuck it was, but I've never seen one before. Pretty well every keg over here is a Sankey.
Sorry; I saw the .au and thought it was aussie :oops: :oops:
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

hows the valve coming along ? i feel bad :oops: we done talked you into a beer keg boiler and you done found the only beer keg type no one here has ever seen...lol absinthe knows about kegs you mite try pming him
GOT BAIT?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

maoule wrote:Sorry; I saw the .au and thought it was aussie :oops: :oops:
???

.au is the Australian URL suffix. But not sure what you mean, where is the .au you refer to?

EDIT: Just spotted what you were referring to. :oops: :roll:
Last edited by HookLine on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
kronicd
Novice

Post by kronicd »

No luck yet, I'll have a look around and see if this is the standard type of keg here, if there is another kind I'll grab that.

Otherwise I'll just cut around it!
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

mine has a 8" hole cut and a s/s mixing bowl for a lid. my brother has a standard keg with a adapter.....i like mine better so easy to charge and clean. either way works
GOT BAIT?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I looked up the Micro Matic web site. It's an 'A' series valve. Used in Europe and Aus. Could not find anything on taking it apart though.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

http://kegman.net/b2c.html---" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow I still thank the flange screws off. that is why the hole is in the flange,(fora spanner) they have another one
next to it that has "key" in the hole also screws off.Somebody on hear was looking for threads to fit. but they're metric strait
not pipe.
maoule
Bootlegger

Post by maoule »

Try this:
http://pictures.micro-matic.dk/erez4/er ... 0Tubes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Go to the type A. Looks like a left-hand thread.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

It looks as if you hold the outter part with the single small hole stationary with a spanner then the spanner would have a hole in the center of it and another tool or part of that tool reaches down into the coupler and unscrews the valve inside it like the valve stem on a tire.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I thank the "flange" screws off if you look on the "neck" you can see a mark where it comes apart?
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I see the seam you're talking about Dundr, but if it just turns freely when you turn it and it doesn't unscrew then maybe there's a locking mechanism in the valve itself. I just looked at it for a minute and reread what was done already to no avail and the inside valve is flat on 2 sides like a valve stem in a car or other tire. So I'm wondering if that comes out and relieves a wedge type holder to allow the flange to come out of the keg then. Either way with the seam there there's not going to be a flange to attach a sanke adapter and triclover clamp to so he may end up cutting the top and using a bowl anyway so removing the flange would be fruitless.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Think you said the flange turns free? If so, I bet there is a notch in the inner part that matches the hole in the flange. Turn the flange until it is aligned then a pin on the wrench drops in. Looking at that pic, it is standard right hand thread.
If I'm right, you can make a wrench by using a piece of strap with 2 bolts. One locks the flange, the other into the well.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I was searching for a post from a fellow who's not active here anymore... bujapat... A fine fellow, he had a very simple potstill design that I wanted to show someone. I noticed that he had taken apart this same type of keg.

so I wrote him an email... Maybe he will pop in and explain.

his simple still...

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=potstill

He has a nice distilling site in french too...

http://www.fairesagnole.eu/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
this is the internet
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I still thank the hole flange screws off.
Adverse Effects
Swill Maker

Post by Adverse Effects »

the head turns anti clockwise you need to tool to do it like this pic
the thread will be glued (lock tight) so getting it moving in the first place will be tough
tool.jpg
tool.jpg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
once you have the head out all the springs and stuff will come out the base of the head easily
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
help those that help them self first
25Lt old school SS keg as a pot with a prototype Ponu still head
kronicd
Novice

Post by kronicd »

Thanks very much guys, I'll let you know how it goes!
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

I have a keg like this (Tooheys brewery) dosen't have the hole in the coupling though. I used a pipe wrench to screw the coupling off (anti clockwise)
Image Keep on Stillin' Image
timmay20
Novice

Post by timmay20 »

I just did one of these. Firstly de-pressurise the keg by carefully unscrewing it slightly with a large Stilzen. You can aslo loosen it with a hammer and cold-chisel if you don't want to re-use the top, even then the top can be re-used if you slide the fitting on from the side opposite the chisel notch you make. Get a small good quality flat-blade screwdriver and remove the rubber washer, outside edge first. Again if you are careful, this can be re-used. Now use 2 small screwdrivers to turn the inner part clockwise. Poke then into the holes in it opposite each other, lift upwards and turn(clockwise) . It will unlock from the lugs and drop down into the keg. Now unscrew the top, leaving the spear behind. Once the top is out the spear is tilted to remove past the lug on the retainer.
As I want to use mine for beer as well, I carefully cut the locking lug off-making sure to leave the tab the same length as the others. Re-assembled minus the spring, then screwed the spring back up over the bottom tab-plate- a bit of grunting- but now I can screw the assembly in and out in one piece for beer filling !!