Fruit Flavoring

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jetzon
Swill Maker

Fruit Flavoring

Post by Jetzon »

Hey all,

I have a couple qt's that I'm gonna flavor "Peach & Blueberry. I used to add fruit and sugar to qt's. Then I started to make syrup by adding fruit & sugar a little water and let sit in fridge for a couple days. Now I think I'm gonna try cooking fruit & sugar first. Any suggestions? Whats a good ratio of fruit-sugar-water and how long to cook?

Thanks
Keep on Keeping on...
Tater
Admin

Re: Fruit Flavoring

Post by Tater »

For me the best tasting way to do it is to put some sugar on fruit and set in warm place .But first soak fruit or berries in alcohol a few months.Remove fruit add the sugar.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Hey Tater

Thanks and I'll try that. Ive always added sugar and fruit, Ive never let the fruit soak first.
I'm gonna mess around with cooking some fruit-sugar too. I'm thinking cooking it might speed it up some.
Ive got my Blue Grass festival coming up in May and I'm Low on my reserves lol.
Keep on Keeping on...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive tried the cooking fruit and sugar .To me it changed the taste.I prefer the fresh fruit taste to the cooked. Let us know what you think good luck.Way I do its in tried and true under blueberrys.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Ive been searching on here for that and I'll definitely check that out now.
Thanks for the post "tried and true under blueberrys" suggestion. Having dial up takes forever! using the search here.

As Always Tater, Many Thanks

Jetzon
Keep on Keeping on...
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I make lots of Sloe Brandy. I use 16 ounces of fruit to 1 litre of 60% and basically soak the fruit in the spirit for 3 months. Sugar is a matter of taste, but I generaly use 6 ounces to each litre.
I always put the fruit back into whatever sort of wine I have fermenting at the time, at the end of the 3 months soak period. Store for some time and carefully rack it off when it is cleared of any fruit residue.

Makes a dark red liquer that varies in flavour but is a cross between plum and cherry depending on the sloes, and how long it is left to soak in the spirit.
brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Post by brewmaker1 »

If you want to smooth things up a bit. Invert the sugar first. I did a side by side making an orange brandy and the inverted one is crystal clear and very smooth. The dissolved sugar one isn't.