rum oils

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nlantz
Novice

rum oils

Post by nlantz »

Jesus ! this is my 3rd attempt to post this keep on gettin error after submit !! :?
anyway's
ive been dooing a version of pug's rum
and after the 2nd generation the 40%-20% "oils" still dont have a molasses smell or taste to them
still have a tails twang to it
what ive been doing is
stripping run from pencil lead down to a steady drip " about 1/3rd of the orignal wash "
reuse the 2/3rd in the next wash
do the final run down to about 60-55 " start to get a hint of tails "
collect 40-20% "oils'
everything els is set aside to hopefully run in my lawnmower after a fue more crap runs

should i strip more than about 1/3rd ? oils are getting left behind and building up in the dunder ? i figure if it went from a steady stream to 3 drip per second its done
HookLine
retired

Re: rum oils

Post by HookLine »

I'm starting to wonder if the dunder is really the important part to re-use, not the 40-20% tails cut. The real flavour seems to be in the dunder.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
nlantz
Novice

Post by nlantz »

Ditto ,
hookline or maby im not dooing my striping run as far as it should go ?
i noticed that the end of the 2nd run of it still has a faint smell of molasses
Mabey i should save whats left of after the second run's and do a run of them , hope that it comes out over powering with flavor and use that for cutting back down to 40-60% finnished product
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

But does it smell like rum? I'm amazed that after two runs it has no taste or smell. I use a pot still and never bother with a stripping rum and I also use dunder and 'oils' and it seems to me to be a bloody nice rum. I think that there has to be something else going wrong. What type of still are you using?

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

When Pugidogs talks of rum oils in his recipe I assumed he meant the dunder left in the still after the run. This is what I used in subsequent ferments and I had to double distill it because it had tooooooo much molasses for me using feed grade molasses. I just added brown sugar back to the dunder and refermented. Came out good flavored but I added too much tails into the final cut and blended so it needs to be reran but that was my fault.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

When I do my stripping runs, I toss the fores' then collect everything down to 10 to 15%. I pay very close attention on my spirit runs. I have found some simillar flavors buried in my corn mashes. Usually comes over in the 30 to 15% tails of the spirit run.

Here is the section from Pugi's recipe.

Collect the 40% ABV down to 20% ABV in seperate container. These are your RUM OILS. Handle them with care and treat them special. Always add them to your still when you do a SPIRIT run and always collect them from the spirit run. The more times you use them the more concentrated they become. It wont take long and they will overflow into the hearts. This is the KEY to My rum.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Pugi calls 'rum oils' the tails cut between 40-20%.

I suspect the real taste is in the stuff left behind in the still, the dunder.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
nlantz
Novice

Post by nlantz »

Yep with the exception of the yeast bomb i have followed it more or less to the T
made a 12% wash from 2k fancy mollasses and 2k dark brown sugar waterd it down to a og of 1.10 finnished off at a fg for 1.012 for 11.35 abv
was made from the dunder of the wash before it and am going to remake the next one from the dunder left over from them
I think that there has to be something else going wrong. What type of still are you using?
Pot still of course only packing i have in it is 2 copper scrubbers in the condencer because its 8ft of 2.5 inch copper and i have noticed vapor comming out the end sometimes. "or it was warm distilant in freezing temps. "
i collected the 40-20 cut. still has a tails smell to it but the end of the still smells like rum comming out
gonna try the 3rd generations cut for the oils 40- down to 15-10 i guess
and go further on my stripping run
got to be im not collecting enuff on the stripping run
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

the condencer because its 8ft of 2.5 inch copper
:shock:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
nlantz
Novice

Post by nlantz »

:shock:
heh i seem to get that response alot on here
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

8' of 2.5", that's a detuned reflux still. How many HETP's is that?

I went back and read the Pugirum thread and realized he wasn't speaking of the dunder. I don't drink rum enough to keep the tails that long. I did rerun the dunder though and the molasses smell and taste is almost as strong in the rum.
nlantz
Novice

Post by nlantz »

yea i think im going to just run the dunder i have to condence it down some and see what comes out of it
my bet is i havent been stripping far enuff into it ,
leftover from my spirit run smells the same as what i said my "oil's " smell like
cardboard/ wet dog
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

If you'll wait a little you'll notice later on the wet cardboard smell will go away pretty much. There's sometimes a little nugget of gold after that.
nlantz
Novice

Post by nlantz »

awsome