thumper with strip run?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bobtuse
Novice

thumper with strip run?

Post by bobtuse »

Hi all,
Just thinking about process as I wait for ferments to finish up and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on benefits of running a thumper during a strip run. I know it can help with cuts on a spirit run, but if you're not making cuts.... I ran a thumper during strip and spirit on my last batch and noticed no problems. Will be potstilling for both runs.

Thoughts?
evilpsych
Swill Maker

Re: thumper with strip run?

Post by evilpsych »

I thought the whole point of using a thumper was so that you didn't have to do stripping runs! It's thought of more as a second distllation anyway
I just realized that my life is a very complicated drinking game...
bobtuse
Novice

Post by bobtuse »

I'm also curious about the effect of smaller diam. pipe inline. My existing rig, the lyne arm tapers from 3/4 to 3/8 ,goes in the thumper and out to a 3/8 worm. New rig in build stage is going to be 2" My question is, is there a problem with pressure or output speed if I use same thumper rig and condenser or should the imput to the thumper be big and only reduce on the output side or directly before condenser.

Bob
bobtuse
Novice

Post by bobtuse »

True, but I had read that Pint equated two thumper runs to more like 3 distillations than 4. Perhaps I am a glutton for punishment, but my strip runs came off around 65% and my spirit was 75%. I think I would still run the thumper on the spirit run. It can only help right?
evilpsych
Swill Maker

Post by evilpsych »

I guess if you are trying to acheive a very light spirit or a neutral like vodka, I guess it might be of benefit starting out with water in the thumper and doing multiple runs... For me, I do whiskeys, and age around 120-130proof. I'll post pics of my completed thumper setup shortly.
evilpsych
Swill Maker

Post by evilpsych »

bobtuse wrote:True, but I had read that Pint equated two thumper runs to more like 3 distillations than 4. Perhaps I am a glutton for punishment, but my strip runs came off around 65% and my spirit was 75%. I think I would still run the thumper on the spirit run. It can only help right?
What are you trying to make?

If you do a search, most folks on stripping runs use a simple potstill with no thumper. A stripping run is meant to be hard and fast, and to not make cuts at all to speak of (some do though) Using a thumper during a stripping run does present the problem of using more energy total.
bobtuse
Novice

Post by bobtuse »

That does make sense. More and more as I look at the new build, it will be easier to just ditch the idea of the thumper altogether and go with the strip/spirit method. I loved the idea of getting an 'extra' distillation without much more effort, but it just might not be worth it....

I've been making rum, will give whiskey a go go soon, and am getting together bits for a VM column for neutrals faster than planned.

Thanks for your input Evil!

Any other opinions want to chime in?

Bob
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Nostalgia aside, I've never been a fan of thumpers on small stills because I've never considered them effective... I'm sure they're beneficial on larger production stills... One of these days I may just build another pot still...
Last edited by rad14701 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evilpsych
Swill Maker

Post by evilpsych »

dunderhead has some nice pics of the 'triple thumpers' some rum distilleries utilize to concentrate the 'rum oils' there's a lot of info about that process, and what goes into each thumper or double too..
Pugi has posted some good info about rum making too.
honestly, I probably wouldn't triple or quadruple distill a rum or whiskey that i wanted to have any flavor at all.

One 'spirit' run from a thumper setup with just wash in the boiler should provide aging proof full flavored product in one run.

Again.. all in the cuts, there's a hundred ways to skin this cat, and do it to your personal taste..
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

what you gona be putin in it.
bobtuse
Novice

Post by bobtuse »

I've charged the thumper with water, and low wines with backset from a previous run. Still had quite a bit of flavor, iwouldnt call it a light rum really...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

ole boys aint much sure how them upright outfit work.

doublein keg is your friend if you let it
a pain in the ass if you dont.
so im tole
bobtuse
Novice

Post by bobtuse »

Im with ya goose, I dont unnerstand 'em yet either.....yet.

Using the doubler wasn't much of a pain in the ass, its just configuring it into this new setup. I may be able to work it, for this next batch Im a going to go without it and see what happens...