Precipitating fusels possible?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rude Boy
Novice

Precipitating fusels possible?

Post by Rude Boy »

I've done a quick skim of the threads in case it's already been covered - didn't see anything, sorry if I missed something.
My distillate is failing the cloudy test at the cutting stage, and it is my understanding that this cloudiness is fusel oils coming out of solution with a lower temp and alcohol strength. This has led me to wonder if it's possible to precipitate (I know this is really the wrong term, but don't know the word which means the opposite of 'dissolve') out the fusels with some kind of freezing/ice filtering or something like this.

Anyone know of anything or have some bright ideas?
I don't drink any more, I just sample the cuts... who turned out the lights?

The 'rudeboy system' as shown on photobucket: http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n55 ... oystiller/
HookLine
retired

Re: Precipitating fusels possible?

Post by HookLine »

Could be your water.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I searched for "cloudy spirits" and "cloudy distillate" and found plenty of information...

Could be the water or excess fussel oils, amongst other things...
brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Post by brewmaker1 »

Activated carbon will pull the fusel oils out if that's what is really the problem. But it will also pull out flavor. You can either set up a carbon filter, or just throw a few tablespoons of carbon in a jar of spirits and shake it up everyday for a week or so. I had to do that once when I was in a hurry and ran too hot on the spirit run. Seems to work okay
Rude Boy
Novice

Post by Rude Boy »

I was kind of hoping this thread could discuss the possibility of removing fusels using it's tendency to come out of solution when the spirit is cut with water. I have been using carbon, but find it messy stuff to work with etc...
Someone was telling me that an old way of removing chicken fat from freshly made stock was to pass it through an ice filter, the fat would cling to the ice. While I realise this wouldn't work with fusels in spirits, I was wondering if there might be a similar kind of trick and maybe that someone with more knowledge of chemical processes has some ideas.

My spirit (neutral) only goes cloudy when I cut down to 40% ABV, and when I look closely I can see all the tiny particles of oils that came out of solution. These always settle out eventually. I just wish there was a way to catch them before they do.

Thanks for the tip on the water Hookline, I use the tap water here in central Auckland. It's an old building and I figure the water out of the tap tastes so good due to it coming through old porcelain pipes, but perhaps it is a little hard...

The 'rudeboy system' as shown on photobucket: http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n55 ... oystiller/
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you can try freezing spirits, then filtering threw coffee filters not going to guarantee it will work. next time run slower and make better cuts.
or you can dilute and rerun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Redistillation is the best and easiest filter you'll ever find.
Rude Boy
Novice

Post by Rude Boy »

Thanks Punkin et al. after heeding your wise words I pushed my vodka through the kettle another couple of times and lo - I'm getting quite a reputation among my drinking friends. This stuff seems to my novice senses to be way better than any fancy vodka from a shop.