Acid Blend and Gypsum???

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jttogo2003
Novice

Acid Blend and Gypsum???

Post by jttogo2003 »

I'm obviously a beginner and am seeking some definition on the application of Gypsum and an Acid Blend...
For one, what is the Acid Blend and where do you get it. And two, what is the purpose of Gypsum and where do you get it as well???? I've done numerous Sugar Washes and now am working a Corn wort.. The recipe I have calls for Gypsum and an Acid Blend??? And I don't know where to find the information or what it is.... Is the Gypsum the same as the Gypsum for Concrete?? Or is it a food grade?? Is the Acid Blend, Citric Acid and ??? Please Help................
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Acid Blend and Gypsum???

Post by Dnderhead »

both can be found at your home brew shop. and yes the gypsum is food grade Theo i do not thank it whould have to be.
acid blend is citric,tartaric and malice acids I whould say you can use citric acid, (lemon juice etc) gypsum is calcium sulphate,
but calcium carbonate (chalk)will also work Id say I do not know why they want both, acids lowers PH. calcium raises it
I never use any thing in grain mash.
jttogo2003
Novice

Post by jttogo2003 »

So, I'm guessing your recipe consists of Maize, Barley, Water and Yeast.... Any sugar??? I'm using a reflux still........
When using a Reflux Still will everything be scrubbed clean to where it won't make a difference if I'm distilling a wash or a wort??? What I'm looking for basically is a recipe that doesn't have any "crap" in it..... Corn, Malt or, Barley, Water and yeast... And Sugar???
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you do a grain mash you have to cook the grains, to a gelatinize( takes about 1 hour), then cool to 150F (66c) add crushed malt (about 20% of grain bill) keep at this temp about 1/2 hour. (I just rap in blanket and leave over night) then when cooled to 80f (or lower)(27c) pitch yeast.
if you use all malt you can do a infusion mash but not as efficient ,, that you put crushed malted grain in pot , add hot water (about 165f) (74c)
leave at that temp for a hour or so cool to 80f ( 27c) pitch yeast.
You can also do a extract wash (no hops) just add malt extract at about 1lb (1/2 kg) to the gal (4l) of hot water stir,,cool to 80f (27c) and pitch
yeast. this is all much more expensive than sugar wash. not worth the work for "neutrals" If I was going to do "neutrals" Id do sugar with some malt
extract for "yeast food" or you can do a UJSM stile (suger wash with corn) (on tried and true recipes)

I do all grain mash all the time. takes some getting used to. especially corn,oats,wheat. I add no sugar or nutrients.I use well or branch water.
(no chlorine) Iv got a shipment coming, and going to try , 2LB ( 1kg) barley to one lb (1/2 kg) of corn. per gal (4l) water.
then run threw a pot still to git whisky. age in wood for about 1 year?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Dnderhead wrote:I whould say you can use citric acid, (lemon juice etc) gypsum is calcium sulphate,
but calcium carbonate (chalk)will also work Id say I do not know why they want both, acids lowers PH. calcium raises it.
Pure gypsum should not affect pH if the pH is below about 8.5 (from memory). Calcium carbonate will usually raise pH. Both supply calcium.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rezaxis
Swill Maker

Post by rezaxis »

Gypsum is Plaster of Paris. Get it any craft or artist supply. Lifetime supply for $5.
Shine on!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

went and did some research, and yes gypsum is added for the calcium that yeast need . but should not be added unless you know it is needed.
according to the brew site yeast need about 50 PPM . most water has that in it unless very soft. (do not use "softened" water) adding to much
calcium can also be bad. That explains some of the reasons why I have good luck with my mashes.I use well water(mostly) and spring water.
If you have water from a reservoir or use rain water then you mite need some. but try it first with out. they also suggested not to add acids
until after the mash is made. doing so can lower the PH to much.as the grain and water can effect the PH. (you want a PH of 5--5.5)
(rain water can be acid)

its all in the water
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

2LB ( 1kg) barley to one lb (1/2 kg) of corn. per gal (4l) water.
Hey Dnder, when you say barley is it always malted or just barley? I'm guessing malted but just to make sure. Thanks BD
I do all my own stunts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I got a good buy on malted barley had to take a bunch,(cost+) but it will git used. so that is what I'm trying. barley malt and some corn to lighten it.

I need one heck of a big pot!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Will a medium coarse corn meal work for this blend. I happen to have a big bag of it. Cheers, BD.

lookingaroundmyshopwithdifferenteyes
I do all my own stunts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I do not know why not I'm going to boil the corn (1lb (1/2 kg) to the gallon) for 1/2-3/4 hour then add malt (1 lb (1/2 kg) to the gallon
cook for another 1/2 hour,,, let it cool to 155F (68c) then add another 1 lb (1/2kg) malt
I thank if I do it in steps that way it wont be so hard to cook the corn?
1.084-og,,,,1.021 fg,,,,8.4 ABV
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

One more thing Dnder, I only have malted flour, which I guess is malted barley ground fine. I know it works because I use it in my doughs and I get a nice rise. Do you figure the same amount of the flour as the whole malted grain? I dying to get at this one and maybe blend it with the other stuff that's bubbling away. Cheers, BD.
I do all my own stunts
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Dnderhead wrote:went and did some research, and yes gypsum is added for the calcium that yeast need . but should not be added unless you know it is needed.
No- it is to help buffer the pH to keep it in a range conducive to amylases...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Price Quantity Buy Now
$3.50

Shipped Today Or The Next Business Day!

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT: [MIN210] Gypsum, also known as calcium sulfate, is used as a water hardening treatment when making beer. Having proper water hardness when mashing grains helps to increase the amount of sugars extracted from the grains and promotes the precipitation of haze causing proteins during fermentation. In the case if Gypsum it also helps to round out the bitter flavors from the hops. Gypsum is also used when making Sherry and other Spanish type wines. Heavy doses are added in a process know as "plastering". Adding Gypsum to your Sherry will help emulate the characteristics that are present in these wines.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

that malt flour is malt that is ground /sifted ,,it whould be good flavor and make happy yeast.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Cheers Dnder. Getting the BOP.
I do all my own stunts
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Did it just now.
3 kg corn
1 kg rye (what the hell ... caution to the wind)
1 kg malt
15 kg water

Do I pitch on the grains? Was thinking 15 grams baker's yeast in the morning? Thanks, BD.

Maybe this topic has veered from the core. My apologies to the Mods.
I do all my own stunts
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

I read elsewhere that gypsum is added to help remove chlorine? is that correct?

If so would calcium carbonate also assist in the same way?

ref:
https://homedistiller.org/grain/wash-grain/whisky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

(search for gympsum on the page)