Cellar,Sheds,Basements,Garage??

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Re: Cellar,Sheds,Basements,Garage??

Post by SuperDavid »

Oh yeah I'm getting approval from the council and the water corp is included in that.
I went to the council and the water corp with my plans and explained the deal, and the council don't care about the check point being in the shed...they said to check with the water corp.
The water corp don't care because it's not the main sewer line, the water corp themselves only go into the main sewer line which is a few houses down. The only people that will have to get into my check point if there are any problems are private plumbers and the water corp says, so long as the plumbers have access to it they aren't bothered weather a shed is around it. So it sounds like it should be all good! I'm just waiting on my neighbours to sign the papers saying that they don't mind if I build 500mm from the fence and then the applications can be put in.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

No worries then.

It's actually incorrect information, but if they're happy with you building over it well and good.

The water board will need access to your boundary shaft if their side gets blocked with tree roots, your plumber will need access as well if roots or other blockages occur upstream from the shaft.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

should be ok.. I'm not covering it as such...I'm just building around it and the inspection point will be in the shed under a movable sink or bench. So it shouldn't be any hassle with access if they need it. I hear what your saying though! I don't want to get caught out. I'll double check with them.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I'll double check with them.
Get it in writing, on official letterhead, and hang onto it. Do not rely on verbal advice that it is okay.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
browndog
Novice

Post by browndog »

in my garage. live in a small complex with 36 houses. have the roller door up tunes crankin when I'm distilling. nobody cares around here. they all get a taste of it anyway. might be a bit stupid of me... also I'm renting and the owner is a cop.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

Just called the water corp again and according to the plans on the computer that inspection point is part of my internal plumbing so they aren't worried about me building over it. I've emailed some other guy at the water corp who is able to officially confirm this sort of stuff so hopefully he can send me something in writing to say its ok.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

No worries mate, may actually be an internal inspection outlet, just sounded like a boundary shaft to me.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

all good! I got a bit worried there! I've already put a deposit on this thing.
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

Hrm, I don't know. I'd probably build the shed to the side of the drain and just run a pipe to it. Around here, you could get paperwork until you're blue in the face and this and that office worker can tell you whatever you want to hear ... but if things get plugged up and they need to get to it...say goodbye to the shed.

Anyway, good luck.

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

put it on skids then move wherever you want.
PaulN
Novice

Post by PaulN »

In the basement, away from prying eyes, out of the weather, and easy access to all my tools and materials that I would need.
BillHoo
Bootlegger

Post by BillHoo »

I'm on the 12th floor of a hi-rise condominium in Arlington, VA with a nice view of the Potomac and DC.

I run my still (I think it was a Desti Labs still bought from eBay in 1998 and modified - still head bolted on top of a stainless steel bowl mounted on top of a turkey fryer, sealed with flour/water paste) out on the patio. No one can see me except for the daily flybys of various helicopters over the river. But they're moving too fast to notice. The patio is open except for the sides, so my neighbors can't see what I have there. I know there is an ATF agent who lives two doors down!

My water source is a 10 gallon coleman cooler in which I have blocks of ice. An aquarium pump circulates the cool water to the condensor. I fire it up with the propane turkey fryer burner. I do about 5 gallons of mash at a time.

The only folks who might see are the building managment who come in to do maintenance from time to time (air conditioner filter replacement, plumbing check, etc.). They usually give me a days notice and annoiounce when they are coming. I'm diligent about disassembling everything and poutting it into a refrigerator box when Im done.

I guess it's not much of a patio. Really a balcony.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Out back, undercover, hiding from goggle.
I do all my own stunts
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

BillHoo wrote:I'm on the 12th floor of a hi-rise condominium in Arlington, VA with a nice view of the Potomac and DC.

I run my still (I think it was a Desti Labs still bought from eBay in 1998 and modified - still head bolted on top of a stainless steel bowl mounted on top of a turkey fryer, sealed with flour/water paste) out on the patio. No one can see me except for the daily flybys of various helicopters over the river. But they're moving too fast to notice. The patio is open except for the sides, so my neighbors can't see what I have there. I know there is an ATF agent who lives two doors down!

My water source is a 10 gallon coleman cooler in which I have blocks of ice. An aquarium pump circulates the cool water to the condensor. I fire it up with the propane turkey fryer burner. I do about 5 gallons of mash at a time.

The only folks who might see are the building managment who come in to do maintenance from time to time (air conditioner filter replacement, plumbing check, etc.). They usually give me a days notice and annoiounce when they are coming. I'm diligent about disassembling everything and poutting it into a refrigerator box when Im done.

May not see it, good chance he'll smell it on a still day though....
:oops:
nh_yankee
Novice

Post by nh_yankee »

kitchen, with the hood vent on high! :D
BillHoo
Bootlegger

Post by BillHoo »

Everyone alks about vapors and fumes.

I've never smelled anything from my still.

I put the wash in and smell that, but walk a few feet away and you can't smell it.

I put the still together and seal up with flour and water paste, then fire it up and there is no smell. No steam either.

I do my stilling in the fall when it's cold. The vapors condense nicely into a liquit and nothing seems to go into the air.

Propane burns with very little scent. I don't think anyone is out on their patio when it's cold outside, so they don't even hear the burner roaring a bit. I think the sound goes strait out the balcony toward the river and disappears, so my neightbers to the right or left of me hear nothing. Maybe someone at the Jefferson Memorial might look up and see the small flicker of a blue propane flame and think nothing of it. Down in the parking lot, you look up and all you see is the bottom of the concrete slab that is my balcony.

I generate no smoke or steam.

Once I'm done collecting, I turn it all off and go to bed. By morning everything is cooled down enough for me to disassemble. I break it down and drag it all to the bathroom in my guest room and filter everything out in a big coland and cheesecloth. The solids then go in a plastic trashbag and down the trash chute.

punkin wrote:
BillHoo wrote:I'm on the 12th floor of a hi-rise condominium in Arlington, VA with a nice view of the Potomac and DC.

May not see it, good chance he'll smell it on a still day though....
:oops:
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I'm running a spirit run of Ujsm right now and the smell of the alcohol i am collecting is quite strong in the shed, i can smell it outside the shed a bit and the missus can smell it from 8-10 feet away.

You really have got a handle on it if your producing alcohol with no scent. 8)

AllTheVeryBestOfLucktoYouPunkin
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

FeralPig wrote: I do it under the back deck in a neighborhood. Made the mistake of telling two neighbors that I play poker with. Now they show up at odd hours wanting hooch. I feel like a drug dealer. Had to tell them to stop. I have not told another soul after that...except my pop, who keeps showing up at odd hours wanting hooch....sigh
The First Rule of Fight Club is:
You Don't Talk About Fight Club!
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
VicBill
Novice

Post by VicBill »

Hi,

A bit embarrassed here with what I do compared to all the other cloak and dagger stuff.

I distill outside the back door. No side fences, no back fences, nothing but bush (forest for our overseas friends). I run my cooling water from a dam back to a dam, or pond in the garden. Anyone who can see me through that bush is trespassing.

Only problems I seem to have is if the weather turns a bit iffy and wets me during a run.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Dammfine wrote:in my shed-behind my house-guarded by my dog.
building the shed, and waiting for the dog the be old enought to leave her mother.
rafterjmc
Novice

Post by rafterjmc »

Just finish my first few runs and I'm hooked! The foundation for the shed went in yesterday! I'll post pics of the building soon but here are a couple of the sercurity system.
otis1.jpg
otis1.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Otis2.jpg
Otis2.jpg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Hope someone decides to be nosey. It will sure cut down on my dog food bill lol. :twisted: For the guy distilling on a balconey good luck with that. I didn't think my still was putting out to much smell untill the wife came home and could smell it 80 feet away in the driveway! I think when you sit there for three hours your nose gets use to the smell .But at the end of a run when there is a gallon and a half of 60% sitting around a nose of someone else could pick up the scent perrty easy.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Nice looking hound, real alert. Guess his name is Otis?
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rafterjmc
Novice

Post by rafterjmc »

Thanks. Hope no one tracks me down by his name lol. 165 lbs of nosey deterent. He was banised to the yard by the wife so I think I'll put a dog door in the shed so he can live inside.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Keep stuff secured, looks like he would make a mean drunk! :lol:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
kingstonshine
Novice

Post by kingstonshine »

Nice Dane Rafterjmc looks like a pup still. I have two of them for my security muahahaha.... and they don't like people they don't know.
rangitang
Novice

Post by rangitang »

I set up my stock pot and doubler with coil in my closed in carport. There is a good airflow happenning and at night there is no sign from outside as to my activity. I am at the end of a 200ft drive and I have Jocko the wonder dog old but still impressive at 125 pounds of shaggy St Bernard Lab cross to alert me should unexpected company show up at the gate. OK for now but I must set up and break down each run and so I am looking forward to building a dedicated still shack this summer. A still shack with all mod cons plus a fire extinguisher. Safety cannot be ignored in ones enthusiasm to "get going".
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

Dyce51
Novice

Post by Dyce51 »

I just do it on my back patio. House is too small for my still and no garage. Considering building a second shed out back to do it in......My neighbors are all ok with it. My one neighbor makes homemade wine and IK keep his brother drunk and the other neighbor has no friggin idea what the hell I am doin so its all good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

basement right now, garage is being built, but plan is a nice 10x10 still shed in the back yard.
Attachments
the guard dog
the guard dog
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

Here's da little buggah dat has guard duty where I stay.
Attachments
Mali
Mali
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.