Whats the biggest UJSM anyone has run here?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

demonx
Swill Maker

Whats the biggest UJSM anyone has run here?

Post by demonx »

I'm curious what the largest run has been.
How long did it take to ferment?
How long did it take to run the batch?
Was the return still approx 10%
How noisy is a large fermentor? I know my 25lt one keeps me up at night if I dont close the laundry door!

Basically here's what I'm thinking and I'd like your thoughts/advice...

I've been running my own variation of UJSM for quite some time now, but never seem to be able to stockpile any that it ever gets older than about 3-4 weeks. I have a 25lt oak barrel and I have never managed to fill it since it was new and when I was running 3 batches a week (I had 12 weeks holidays and a bit of free time!) Since that stage it's always been about half to two thirds and never any fuller!

I only have a 25lt still and it's constantly running a batch every weekend and between myself and the missus we drink more than I can make and we still end out buying the odd bottle of Turkey every couple weeks or so.

What I'm thinking of doing is building a larger still, possibly 500lt so I can try and stockpile a shit load, have it aging in barrels in the shed as I want to build up to having the brew sit for 12 months before I get to drinking it. This way I will hopefully be spending less time at the still (I hate running it every week) and I'll be getting stuff that tastes a lot better as it's been sitting much longer.

I've been trying to read about thumpers and worms as they are all new to me as I've been running a off the shelf job with a water pump for the last couple years. I think I've out grown it.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Re: Whats the biggest UJSM anyone has run here?

Post by jdonly1 »

Im in the same boat,I was looking at building one out of a stainless 44 gallon drum :wink:
I have about 260 liters of neutral fermenting at the moment.
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

15 gal
Last edited by squeezins on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

I now have 2x25L ferments of UJSM and 2x25L of PuGiRum to feed the boiler. Found another copper cylinder that I chopped to 100L, it remains as a backup and if needed will probably be chopped back to 70L (18US Gals). 100L Is more than i can feed in the current setup and more than I can run in a day. Maybe a 3" column + more heat will make a 100L boiler work if I want.

Reflux stillin produces enough for me and the missus and the occasional BBQ gathering. Pot stillin is early days yet, already have 4Gals of cutting mistakes to try again. (UJSM works in a single pot run but PGR is different). That's 4Gals more than we can drink so there is a surplus building up and it can only get better. Will be looking for an oak barrell or two as soon as the product deserves it.

Both UJSM and PGR produce around 10%.

I'll never sell the product cos then it becomes work; for me stillin is a hobby.

So a 50L UJSM wash may not be the biggest but it sure is plenty!
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

This way I will hopefully be spending less time at the still (I hate running it every week)

You've picked the wrong hobby i reckon.

Not being fascinated by what you are doing is gunna slow down the learning process by a very long way. Think about people you've seen at work who hate their jobs, they never really get good at them.

I run gonzo two to four times a week, whether it be stripping or the occasional spirit runs on a saturday.

I keep stocks of a variety of staples to gift to friends and neighbours and also have cupboards full of experimental recipes, allgrains, salvage fruit brandies, macerations ect in the 2-4l range.

If your fermenter is noisy, pull the airlock out, throw it away and just put a soft drink bottle cap over the hole to keep the flies out, or just don't screw the lid on tight. They don't have to be airlocked to work for our purposes.

500 litre is a large cost if it gets infected, screw the cuts up, burn the wash, make an error and tip something in that shouldn't be there (like rum strip, don't laugh it's been done) or any of the other countless things that can go wrong.

It's also a very large investment in equipment like buildings, fermenters, has tanks or electric cuircuits, burners, elements ect...

If you really planned to do this, i don't think you'd be talking about it here.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

punkin wrote: You've picked the wrong hobby i reckon.

Not being fascinated by what you are doing is gunna slow down the learning process by a very long way. Think about people you've seen at work who hate their jobs, they never really get good at them.
I disagree with you there, I really like all the things that lead to stillin, I like what happens after stillin, but watching the still do it's job... I could find as much happiness in filling tea bags for the Queens morning breakfast. Even reading a book takes attention away from where it should be.. on a still that usually doesn't need it but when it does need attention, it really does.

Demonx; we all have different styles and approaches. When I do brandy it's (2 or more) 100L ferments because I treat the two ferments differently to make a blended outcome. When it's a neutral or my once a year rum, it's a 200L wash. When I experiment with something like Punkin's Lime Vodka, I break it up into various 20L washes so I can consider the outcomes and find out what I like. I also find it easier to be super consistent year over year with larger washes once I hit that special formula I worked hard to get right. More liquid is more forgiving, but as Punkin said there's always the risk of losing a large expensive wash.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Ok.

I just reckon i'm still learning about the way Gonzo runs, and still being able to translate that knowledge into improvements in efficiancy, flavour and quality.

I love doin that.

I'm also doing other stuff than just watching the still while i'm in the shed, but i'm still payig attention, with scent, noise and a careful eye. I'm feeling the still, tasting output and still asoldering and ahammerin' :mrgreen:

Like ya say, we're all different, but i am so gratefull i've found this hobby/craft.

Neither am i against larger ferments. more against putting all your eggs in one basket.

Also the switching to 500l still is massive in anyones books.

AndIUsuallyJustDrinkBeerPunkin
demonx
Swill Maker

Post by demonx »

Sorry Punkin, I also dissagree. Ugly pretty much hit my mood right on.

It's not that I hate the hobby. If I hated the hobby I'd be buying shop bought every week not slaving over a undersized cooker.

It's more the fact that work takes approx 80hrs a week away from me. Then I like to wookwork in my spare time (wish I had some), plus I'm running the still every week, try find family time and everything else... you get the picture. These small batches are just a hinderence compared to if I had a setup capable of keeping up with me!

If I hated the hobby I would not have had about a hundred bottles all tagged with different specs as to what date, recipe, generation #, what cut, every detail about that sample and the run so I can go back later on and see what changes mean to the flavor and so forth. I've done all that. I've got what I think is the best I can from the shelf bought gear I have. I've bought all my "old favorites" from the bottle shop and mine beats all of them except two. I also know I can't beat them with my set up as I'd need a gas not electric to run the grain with the wash and experiment with a few other things.

You say a 500lt set up is massive. I don't see it that way. I was considering a 1000, but that is probably overkill just for me. A 500 would be perfect size for me to be able to do a run every so often and stock pile the stuff so I can get well ahead and age the stuff to kingdom come.

You talk about space. I have a three sheds here. I'm sure I can find a corner.

Sure a new set up will mean learning the new gear. So what. It's all part of the hobby isn't it.

Also - I'm already putting all my eggs in one basket - I only drink Whiskey or Bourbon!!!! :D
demonx
Swill Maker

Post by demonx »

Have you got pics of your 150 gal set up?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

This is a hobbyist forum .Anything bigger then that here, should be for fuel and we have a topic for it .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

25 L still you should be able to put in about 18-20L at 7% wash,,,, that should be about 2- liters at 50% (100pr)
and you say that is not enough?you drink more?-----you dont need a bigger still you need a doctor.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

All this talk of big stills just for a bit of drinking alcohol makes me nervous. It is a good way to get some serious attention from the authorities.

A 15.5 US gallon/50 litre keg with a 3" column is ideal for our purposes.

Much bigger than that (especially 500 litre boilers :roll: ) is just asking for trouble.

We got a nice little gig here, folks, don't blow it by getting greedy and careless.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

demonx wrote:Sorry Punkin, I also dissagree. Ugly pretty much hit my mood right on.

It's not that I hate the hobby. If I hated the hobby I'd be buying shop bought every week not slaving over a undersized cooker.

It's more the fact that work takes approx 80hrs a week away from me. Then I like to wookwork in my spare time (wish I had some), plus I'm running the still every week, try find family time and everything else... you get the picture. These small batches are just a hinderence compared to if I had a setup capable of keeping up with me!

If I hated the hobby I would not have had about a hundred bottles all tagged with different specs as to what date, recipe, generation #, what cut, every detail about that sample and the run so I can go back later on and see what changes mean to the flavor and so forth. I've done all that. I've got what I think is the best I can from the shelf bought gear I have. I've bought all my "old favorites" from the bottle shop and mine beats all of them except two. I also know I can't beat them with my set up as I'd need a gas not electric to run the grain with the wash and experiment with a few other things.

You say a 500lt set up is massive. I don't see it that way. I was considering a 1000, but that is probably overkill just for me. A 500 would be perfect size for me to be able to do a run every so often and stock pile the stuff so I can get well ahead and age the stuff to kingdom come.

You talk about space. I have a three sheds here. I'm sure I can find a corner.

Sure a new set up will mean learning the new gear. So what. It's all part of the hobby isn't it.

Also - I'm already putting all my eggs in one basket - I only drink Whiskey or Bourbon!!!! :D
Im in the same boat as you mate :wink:
I would love to be able to to a few really big batches here and there(time is a killer)and stock some up.Also be great to have a big still just for strippen :mrgreen:
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Dnderhead wrote:25 L still you should be able to put in about 18-20L at 7% wash,,,, that should be about 2- liters at 50% (100pr)
and you say that is not enough?you drink more?-----you dont need a bigger still you need a doctor.
Hahaha,shit its easy enough to dringk a liter on a Friday night let alone Saturday and then Sundy sips :mrgreen:
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

There is a valid point there, I'm sure I get ignored because I'm obviously doing it for personal use... get beyond that size and what have you got? Notice you don't want. 500l wash at 10 per cent is theoretically 100 litres at 50 per cent , say 40-50 litres of bottled... that's a lot.

(I often do methanol runs after we make charcoal)
It's amazing though, everyone thinks the fuel still if for hooch until I tell them A) to drink all they like - I'm cheaper than Kvorkian - B) sure, the phone has 911 programmed into it C) Go for it, that skull and crossbones symbol on the catcher is just because I like pirates D) Would you like to see the heavy metal catalysts I used to collect that stuff?
1fourme
Novice

Post by 1fourme »

If your planning on running an operation that large.... you might wish to learn how to make really, really small amounts also...
maybe something along the lines of "Pruno" :shock: to go with your new 24 hour a day lifestyle. Remember don't drop the soap... :lol:
When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

1fourme wrote:If your planning on running an operation that large.... you might wish to learn how to make really, really small amounts also...
maybe something along the lines of "Pruno" :shock: to go with your new 24 hour a day lifestyle. Remember don't drop the soap... :lol:
We dont have that many Probs here in Australia,I could do my stilling out doors in the open and I doubt I would have any troubles :wink:
Shit I have had a few parties here with a few of the local coppers and they were drinken my stuff :mrgreen:
1fourme
Novice

Post by 1fourme »

tater wrote:This is a hobbyist forum .Anything bigger then that here, should be for fuel and we have a topic for it .
I think Tater pretty much cover everything here...
When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.