mesquite bean

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

mesquite bean

Post by junkyard dawg »

Anyone ever play around with them? Some friends want to try fermenting some... It seems reasonable, but perhaps a lot of work.

Nutritional info seems hard to find... :wtf:

success...

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plan ... l/all.html
this is the internet
Tater
Admin

Re: mesquite bean

Post by Tater »

No but they remind me of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Wicked thorns on that plant...

I was a little skeptical at first, but I think this project might have some potential. I found a few pages talking about making syrup from the pods.

Jack Keller has a recipe for mesquite bean wine, I'm sure theres a few beer recipes out there.
this is the internet
GuyIncognito
Bootlegger

Post by GuyIncognito »

David Blume's 'Alcohol Can Be A Gas' fuel ethanol book has a blurb about using mesquite pods, says they are up to 50% sugar with ~35% sucrose. Most of the text is about what a great fuel ethanol crop they are (provide shade cover and nitrogen fixing roots for coplanted things like buffalo gourd) as well as using the pruned wood as a fuel source for the still. Doesn't give a lot of concrete advice on how to process/ferment but says the residual mash is a great animal feed (high protein lots of lysine amino acid). Reading into some of sentences, sounds like maybe make a ground meal of the seed pods and ferment it whole (although he is making fuel, not a palatable beverage).
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Thanks for that.

I've found similar info. It seems like it might be a viable plan, taste tho.... We'll have to see...
this is the internet
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Thorns remind me of a hedge tree. I've had one of them stuck in my foot. Went through the bottom of my flip flop into my foot. That sucked.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

When I was a kid my cousin stepped on a mesquite thorn and it went through his shoe all the way through his foot and was poking up in the top of the shoe. He limped for a couple of weeks... :wtf:

I've jammed them in my hand cutting mesquite firewood. Wicked tough thorns...
this is the internet
tadco
Novice

Post by tadco »

Anything ever come of this?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Only one way to find out buddy :thumbup:

I seen on moonshiners, they used the honey locus pods but didn't see what they ended up with after distillation though, although it seems like it would be good if given enough.

If you have access to the pods, make a 1 quart ferment and see what kinda sugars they have and keep good records so if it's good you could scale up the amounts to get a large ferment.

I have many many many honey locus trees and now thinking of the same. If I were to do it I would crush/shred the pods, heat up enough water to extract the sugars and strain and take a hydrometer reading to determine what I have. If reasonable I would go full swing on it.
However I just don't have time to pick 5 barrels of them right now to experiment with.
One day perhaps :thumbup:
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Mesquite beans, know as Keawe in Hawai`i are VERY HARD. Tried to chop them in a blender really didn't work at all. You need some kind of GRINDER to turn them to powder or at least into pieces like you would grinding barley for beer. There is a guy here that sells Keawe flour but it's like $12 a pound.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I have wanted to use them to brew a beer with. They grow all around me, and are packed with sugar. Supposed to taste like coffe. Get the pods and roast in the oven, crush and steep in a pot of water to release the sugars. The seeds are like rocks, so I wouldn't try to mess with them. From there I was going to use that water, plus the pods, as my mash water with some pilsner malt and a neutral yeast like Chico. For distilling I guess I would try to find out how many crushed pods it take per gallon of water to get 1.05-or so.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!