Pindo palm fruit aka Jelly palm

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Plumberjohn
Novice

Pindo palm fruit aka Jelly palm

Post by Plumberjohn »

Being as i live in Florida im surrounded by palm trees. Some of which i found produces a "date" like fruit that when left to rot ferments quite well just laying on the ground. Id walk by the tree at work and the alcohol smell would almost knock me over. This got me to thinking and googling but i found no info on distilling, just a few wine recipes. It's said the fruit is both sweet and tart with a mango like flavor.
Anyone here live far enough south to have experimented with local palm fruits?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pindo palm fruit aka Jelly palm

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve been eyeballing those palm fruits myself ... tasted some and they do get sweet laying on the ground. Should work. Would be interesting to find out.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

I lived along the gulf coast of TX and we had date palms. It was before I entered this hobbyy but I've eaten them and they definitely have sugars, and like you said, ferment easily on their own.

I'd say to give it a shot to see what happens!
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I have used them in a brandy with Apple juice and in a Gin.

In the brandy, I froze the fruit and removed the stones. It is very fibrous and needed to be punched down regularly. I wasn't careful enough to keep unripe fruit out and the result was a disappointing bitterness. This could probably be avoided by collecting only windfalls.

The gin was glorious. For a day. The flavour and aroma completely vanished out of the bottle.
Plumberjohn
Novice

Post by Plumberjohn »

Interesting i was thinking freezing or cooking to remove the seeds, thank you for your input folks.
I have access to both Pindo and Queen palm fruits which other than color when ripe (pindo is orange and queen is yellow) the flavors and sweetness are the same.
Im fairly new to distilling. I had a friend several years ago with a stove top still set up and i have some experience with wine making. Im looking for cost saving ingredients to practice with once i have my still built. My SS keg pot goes to the welder next week 👍
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I did some Jelly Palm experiments about five years ago and am tasting a sample now. It's not great, but don't let that stop you having a go at it.
DasBeast007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DasBeast007 »

I made jellies years ago. Last year I did a batch of wine because it’s soooo sweet. But the season ended before I signed up here. Gonna try a batch distilled after they drop closer to summer.

Def suggest freezing them. One for storage cause it’s gonna take A LOT and as mentioned earlier in the thread to help with seed removal.
2" CCVM on a 7.5gal keg boiler
3" CCVM on a 15.5 gal keg boiler
hardly used...Pot Still all-da-time