Fruit Chart

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bee
Swill Maker

Re: Fruit Chart

Post by Bee »

Do they add preservatives to store bought apple cider that inhibits yeast?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bee wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:13 am Do they add preservatives to store bought apple cider that inhibits yeast?
On some you have to check out the label before purchasing.
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

Ripeness matters. l like Bosc pears and they make a great brandy but they are best when really ripe and on the verge of spoiling. I then core, peel and freeze them. When they thaw you can mash them up. Using a sugar wash to mash them along with Red Star Couvee yeast does the trick. The product i fine unoaked and minimally aged.
Cwrex
Novice

Post by Cwrex »

Tater wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:01 pm http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Wonderful - thank you. Wish I read this before starting on Strawberry Brandy LOL.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Prole wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:06 am Ripeness matters. l like Bosc pears and they make a great brandy but they are best when really ripe and on the verge of spoiling. I then core, peel and freeze them. When they thaw you can mash them up. Using a sugar wash to mash them along with Red Star Couvee yeast does the trick. The product i fine unoaked and minimally aged.
I am certainly not an expert so I would like to hear from others; but, why go to all the extra labour of coring and peeling???

Geoff
The Baker
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Post by Ifounditlikethat »

Thanks for this. I’m going to be playing with persimmon next year since the Mrs planted ALLOT of them in our orchard area and she had no idea what to make with them.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

The Baker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 pm
Prole wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:06 am Ripeness matters. l like Bosc pears and they make a great brandy but they are best when really ripe and on the verge of spoiling. I then core, peel and freeze them. When they thaw you can mash them up. Using a sugar wash to mash them along with Red Star Couvee yeast does the trick. The product i fine unoaked and minimally aged.
I am certainly not an expert so I would like to hear from others; but, why go to all the extra labour of coring and peeling???

Geoff
All I know....I'm no expert either 'but it's good to hear from someone with so much experience. Glad you chimed in Mr baker. Looking forward to hearing your opinions on questions posted on this forum. 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Post by Ifounditlikethat »

The Baker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 pm

Geoff
I’ve only done limited fruit distilling, but I’ve made allot of fruity mead, wines, pear and apple cider over the years. Coring tends make for less mess in the fermenter, peal on or off makes a major difference in aroma and mouth feel, especially if you ferment on the fruit. I’ve made a few apple brandy washes and having the skin on tends to give more fresh apple smell, but also more sour or tart taste. It’s all about the style you want to drink.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, Ifoundit.

Good explanation.

Geoff
The Baker