Berry fruit liqueur/infusion question

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Berry fruit liqueur/infusion question

Post by stillanoob »

Hi All,

I am making some blackberry liqueur, AKA panty dropper. My question is, do you squeeze or press the berries a bit when done? I didn't when I made some raspberry but there was still quite a bit of color in the berries. My concern was squeezing would make it cloudy, the raspberry came out clear as a bell. While I would like it clear I hate to leave flavor behind, especially if it won't cloud the product.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Berry fruit liqueur/infusion question

Post by Deplorable »

I dont squeeze. The sugar will pull plenty of flavor out after the alcohol has done its job.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a book on making Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits and all the recipes in the book say to not squeeze. My technique is straining yes, squeezing no.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Even shaking too aggressively can cause a lot of what I think is pectins(?) to release that then have to be racked off to keep the end product clear.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Plus the left over berries might be good on (or in) ice cream!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:07 am Plus the left over berries might be good on (or in) ice cream!

Cheers,
j
Haha. My son thought so. Once. The flavor is pretty spent and they just taste like alcohol. The remaing syrup not used to back sweeten the infusion is really good on ice cream though.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks folks! I will strain only. That is what seemed right but it is really good to know from those that have done it. I have been shaking it a bit but I will knock that off.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You'll need to shake it to dissolve the sugar. Just don't do it so hard it pulverizes the fruits.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I did the sugar using simple syrup after I strained it last time.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Spare yourself the chore of filtering. Just strain and save the berries; later mash them up and toss em into the next run.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

If you freeze the berries first, you wont need to squeeze. Bushman posted his blackberry version of Chambord in one of the topics and it is awesome!! Better than panty dropper, more complex.

His recipe is under "blackberry liquor" in the shared recipes section.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

contrahead wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 am Spare yourself the chore of filtering. Just strain and save the berries; later mash them up and toss em into the next run.
I've always tossed mine into ice cream, but that is a great idea if you have a small enough still for making the next batch of spirit, (which I do have). Thanks for the 'heads up'.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Tummydoc wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:16 pm If you freeze the berries first, you wont need to squeeze. Bushman posted his blackberry version of Chambord in one of the topics and it is awesome!! Better than panty dropper, more complex.

His recipe is under "blackberry liquor" in the shared recipes section.
:thumbup: One of my favorites and blackberries in my area are all over the place.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

The berries were frozen, they were picked from my patch last year. I took a look at Bushman's recipe and it looks great! I am a little too far along for this batch but will try something along those lines next time. It did give me the idea to use honey instead of simple syrup. I have a couple of gallons of home grown honey in a bucket here, I had a hive collapse this winter and I harvested all the honey out of there.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

When making sloe gin the first time we dissected the berries and mixed them into melted chocolate to make gifts. While it was delicious the work load / pay off ratio was more than a little off!

I then found a suggestion for making "port". You pour on some red wine (about the same liquid to berry ratio as for your liquor) and a little extra sugar (I'll try and dig out the recipe for quantities). Leave for a few weeks, strain, and fortify with brandy. It goes down very well indeed.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

stillanoob wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:29 am The berries were frozen, they were picked from my patch last year. I took a look at Bushman's recipe and it looks great! I am a little too far along for this batch but will try something along those lines next time. It did give me the idea to use honey instead of simple syrup. I have a couple of gallons of home grown honey in a bucket here, I had a hive collapse this winter and I harvested all the honey out of there.
What if you add a little lemon or orange zest to the liquor? Just to spice it up. Only the main thing is to remove the topmost layer, the most fragrant. The white part of the peel is bitter after all. The most convenient way to remove the zest is using special kitchen tools. They are different, at different prices, here I found a dozen suitable options at once. I find it interesting to add a light orange aroma to the berry liqueur.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I strained and ran it through a coffee filter. It came out nice and clear. I proofed down to about 30% and I added 40mL of simple syrup. It is really tasty. While some zest might be good I have to say that the blackberry seems like pretty much perfection on its own.

The home made port sounds tasty. But the next experiment will be with huckleberries.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I just strained off some neutral that I soaked a bunch of mulberries in for a month. Did not squeeze. Put the berries back in the jar and topped off with raw sugar to make a syrup with.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”