juice from cobbler fruit

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rickyaifd
Novice

juice from cobbler fruit

Post by rickyaifd »

I like to make a lot of fruit cobblers. I usually use frozen fruits and let the fruits thaw with sugar to make a fruit juice. Can I drop some yeast into that juice and let it ferment before baking? If so, about how long would you all estimate waiting for fermentation to finish before baking? I would probably use standard baker's yeast rather than a specific wine yeast.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: juice from cobbler fruit

Post by stillanoob »

Yes, you can put some yeast in and let it ferment. Both the laws of man and physics allow it.

As far as how long, as always it is temperature dependent. A couple of days warm would ferment most of the sugars. In the fridge it will be a long time.

I'm curious as to what the goal is here.
rickyaifd
Novice

Post by rickyaifd »

the goal was simply to put a bit of a 'taste kick' into the cobbler. Not sure if the oven heat would cook off the alcohols though.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

The heat will cook off the alcohol for sure. It might be tasty though, who knows?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I suspect you'll end up with a savoury, acidic cobbler. Unless you chuck in some extra sugar just before cooking.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you tried putting some fruit brandy in it?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

rickyaifd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:39 pm the goal was simply to put a bit of a 'taste kick' into the cobbler. Not sure if the oven heat would cook off the alcohols though.
Oven heat cooks off the alcohol in bread!

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

When making family wedding cakes, we inject the brandy soon after they are baked and months before the wedding.

I suggest you inject finished spirit instead of messing around with fermenting some of the ingredients before baking.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:12 pm When making family wedding cakes, we inject the brandy soon after they are baked and months before the wedding.

I suggest you inject finished spirit instead of messing around with fermenting some of the ingredients before baking.
What type of cake do you back months before it is to be served? Never heard of "aging" cake. Now injecting the brandy into the baker months before the wedding and on a regular basis leaking up to it I can understand.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Xmas and Wedding cakes are just a couple that I can think of that are often cooked many months before getting eaten, in the months after baking they are often basted weekly / monthly with brandy or rum and sometime Liqueurs. Usually they are cakes with a high dried fruit content.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Have never heard of those type cakes. Sounds delicious though. I guess the alcohol would act as a preservative.

I have not been invited to the right weddings.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

subbrew wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 am Have never heard of those type cakes. Sounds delicious though. I guess the alcohol would act as a preservative.

I have not been invited to the right weddings.
I think they're British in origin (I certainly grew up with Xmas cake made some time in advance) and perhaps never made to British America before you declared you're independence from the crown! ;-)
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

"Fruit Cake"

Geoff
The Baker
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:12 pm When making family wedding cakes, we inject the brandy soon after they are baked and months before the wedding.

Would you be willing to share a recipe for one of these cakes? I like the idea of a cake that can be injected with Brandy months before it is consumed. We celebrate Thanksgiving in November and I am very interested in producing a cake like this in advance to celebrate the holidays.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Just look up English or Australian Fruit Xmas Cake recipes......there has to be heaps out there......there are also many other cake recipes that call for the cake to be basted regularly with booze......it's not like it's a rare thing.