Fruit mash question

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Redjack
Novice

Fruit mash question

Post by Redjack »

I’m trying to make a mash of some gifted persimmons. My question is this. They are not all evenly ripe. Can I cut peel and grind some up while I wait for more to ripen. Should I take any special steps to keep them from rotting while I wait. I’m guessing the time needed for all of them would be about a week. Should I start a ferment with what I have and add as they ripen? I’m sorry this is my first fruit try and I don’t want to ruin/waste them. Thank you. If it helps I have a welding mix of argon/co2 if putting this over the fruit makes any sense. (Saw this mentioned somewhere). Thank you
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fruit mash question

Post by 8Ball »

My in laws have a persimmon tree … looking forward to how yours turns out. Maybe freeze them until you have enough?
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There are threads on the forum titled Persimmon Shine, and Persimmon Brandy if you do a search.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Cut peel and freeze.
When all done, boil until the break down.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Redjack
Novice

Post by Redjack »

A little embarrassed , How I didn’t think about freezing it, Thanks for your input.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

besides preserving the freezing will break open the cells and release more juice.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Freezing is fine if you have space, there is another method I use for fruit in general: put the fruit in perforated crates and use paper shavings (or crumpled paper) in the bottom, cover with a cloth and let it ripen.