Grappa

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Royk
Novice

Grappa

Post by Royk »

Started making wine with grapes grown in my yard about 3 years ago and the last 2 years we've also purchased Cab and Merlot grapes. I have not done any distilling and don't even own a still, but am interested in trying to make Grappa with the pressed grapes next fall. So I'm just starting to learn about distilling.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Grappa

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to HD, Roy.
Take your time deciding on what still type you need / want to make your Grappa with.
The number one problem we see here is new members buying cheap crap stills that are not up to the job, or buying the wrong still for the wrong job.
Think seriously about building one instead of buying, its quite easy to do with some basic tools.
Read all you can here on the forum, as you read you will learn the answers to questions that you don't even know that you have yet.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

To make gappa from marc there are some ways (I have personally experienced) the best in my opinion and the one I currently use, this is where the steam passes through the marc and extract aromas and alcohol which is then distilled again. If, on the other hand, you want to create a brandy starting from wine, things are simpler. If you want to know more, ask in the grappa section
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Demy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:14 am To make gappa from marc there are some ways (I have personally experienced) the best in my opinion and the one I currently use, this is where the steam passes through the marc and extract aromas and alcohol which is then distilled again. If, on the other hand, you want to create a brandy starting from wine, things are simpler. If you want to know more, ask in the grappa section
Moved topic to fruit and vegetables.