Blueberry brandy high ABV

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nsgibson
Novice

Blueberry brandy high ABV

Post by nsgibson »

I just ran a blueberry brandy. 5 gal copper pot still with thumper for flavoring. I ran half of a 6 gallon batch (3 gal) just now and got almost half gallon of brandy. I collected in half pints to slowly combine into a final mix. Started throwing hearts in, and since most of the heavy blueberry flavor was in the first few jars I did include the first jar. Here is my problem. The last 2 half pints collected I have not yet thrown in because they are low on flavor and clearly tails. But, the jar of final mix is at 65% ABV, too hot to drink. Should I add water to temper, and decrease flavor, or add the tails?
To add to this, I still have the other half of the batch to run. In the thumper on the first run I put fresh blended blueberries and a pint of 50% abv brandy from a low flavor run from last year before I added the thumper. Would using that have caused my high ABV? Should I run berries+water in the thumper on the next run and blend that output with run #1?
Looking for advice or suggestions! My goal is 50% abv with max flavor. Also if I should put this in another part of the forum let me know. Thanks!
Tater
Admin

Re: Blueberry brandy high ABV

Post by Tater »

leave in jars and air out a day. helps to define flavors in my option
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
nsgibson
Novice

Re: Blueberry brandy high ABV

Post by nsgibson »

I’ll do that