tannin????

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

tannin????

Post by Mr.Spooky »

iv just made up some peach wash, (about 15 gal) and im gonna pot still 10 gal of it, but my girlfriend wants peach wine.. i said OK,,, after all she did help with the peaches and sience i talked up the wine,, that opened up the door for me to get another ferment started 8) . my question is, do i need to add tannin for the wine? im not looking for the perfect wine by no means, but do yall think that ill end up with something that passes as wine? after all, im just trying to cover my ass :roll:
oh i have 3, 5 gal buckets.... in each:
8 lbs peach
6 lbs sugar
3 tblspns yeast
add water leaving about 3" head space
thanks
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
blind drunk
retired

Re: tannin????

Post by blind drunk »

When I used to make wine from juice, I would start adding tannin after the first racking. Because it was in powdered form, it was easy to make a slurry and stir it in with a sterilized spoon. I would make adjustment even later in the game. I'm not sure how tannin would go with peaches but you might want to think about fruit acid blends to brighten up the fruit if it's lacking naturally. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

blind drunk wrote:When I used to make wine from juice, I would start adding tannin after the first racking. Because it was in powdered form, it was easy to make a slurry and stir it in with a sterilized spoon. I would make adjustment even later in the game. I'm not sure how tannin would go with peaches but you might want to think about fruit acid blends to brighten up the fruit if it's lacking naturally. Cheers, bd.
thanks B.D,,,, i need to do some searches on this fruit acid blends.... what do you mean by "brighten it up"
BTW i dont think that puking in your dunder pit will add to the rum profile,LOLOLLOL ,,, but i may be wrong.
thanks spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I think of it like adding salt to food - you know, it kinda brings out the flavor of whatever you're eating. You might not need it though. Cheers, bd.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-You-Might ... id=2373593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I do all my own stunts
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

blind drunk wrote:I think of it like adding salt to food - you know, it kinda brings out the flavor of whatever you're eating. You might not need it though. Cheers, bd.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-You-Might ... id=2373593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
thanks for that link. i have about 2 oz of citric acid from my first endevors. do you think i should wait a few days to see if the flavors are carying well, or do you think that i should just pitch about a tbl spoon full in just for good measure?
thanks!
spooky
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I'd wait cause you never know. It's really easy to add it after, if needed. Good luck, bd.
I do all my own stunts
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

thanks!
spooky
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

well, here it is less that 24 hrs later.
Attachments
DSCF3154.JPG
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Hey spooky, did you mash the peaches or just cut em up. It looks great I may have to give this a try sometime.. Let us know how it comes out.
KS
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

cut them op then ran them through the blender.. it slices , it dices,,, it juleans!!!!
lol
spooky
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

skin and all i guess?
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

yea,,, i just took out the pit, carved all the hard red stuff out of the center, and ran through the blender, skin and all. dident really make it like a milkshake, but not real big chunks eigther.
spooky
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you mite wont something more in the part you keep for wine.just peaches by them selves comes out rather thin.
add a bit of grape juice/raisins or even a banana.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

Dnderhead wrote:you mite wont something more in the part you keep for wine.just peaches by them selves comes out rather thin.
add a bit of grape juice/raisins or even a banana.
hey Dnderhead,,, thanks for the reply. what do you mean by "thin"? i got a few bananananas, <oops got on a roll there.
how bout that,,,, show up wanting to learn about spirits, walk away learning a little about wine! :D
thanks
spooky
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

thin as no or little mouth feel, like difference between cool aid and fruit juice. a good site to visit but takes a bit of navigating http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

thanks, i understand now. in with the banana.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mr.Spooky wrote:thanks, i understand now. in with the banana.
Careful she might like it alot :esurprised:
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

:shock: Mr. Spooky spewing sprite out his nose :shock: lol
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

just an update on the peaches. there still working, the cap hasent fell yet, but there is a smell like a wine cooler. cant wait to run it.... and rack it .
spooky
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

shit man your makin me thirsty....
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

Lots of wine making info here-- this is probably one of the most informative sites

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
teach me and correct me if you are my friend
NGICA
Novice

Post by NGICA »

scotty wrote:Lots of wine making info here-- this is probably one of the most informative sites

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Yeah, this guy has recipes for everything that you can possible think of making wine from
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

scotty wrote:Lots of wine making info here-- this is probably one of the most informative sites

thanks scotty! there is lots of info.
spooky
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

if you get heavily into wine making, you will not use recipes for most of your products. Just like mashing in most cases there are basic steps for getting an end product-- i for one do not like recipes.
Juice, a hydrometer and some experience will do it. :D
teach me and correct me if you are my friend
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

next year when fruits are startin back in season,,, im gonna try to hit it hard.
spooky
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

seems like iv read that on some fruits,, the cap wont fall. is this the case with peaches? seems like its been going for about 15 days now,,, i push the caP in every night,,, but it aint fell yet.
thanks
spooky
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

is it sweet

so im tole
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Mr.Spooky wrote:seems like iv read that on some fruits,, the cap wont fall. is this the case with peaches? seems like its been going for about 15 days now,,, i push the caP in every night,,, but it aint fell yet.
thanks
spooky
Ive never had a fruit or grain cap not to fall.Like goose said does it taste sweet if so its still working.Sugar added fruit washes depending on temps have fermented as long as 3 weeks.And as short as 6 days
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

goose eye wrote:is it sweet

so im tole
it is still kind of sweet,, but there is a definate alcohol taste as well. i thought that the sweetness was from the fruit flavor.
i just need to be patient i think.
thanks for the reply
spooky
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

ok,, i have a feeling that the cap will be droping in the next few days. its real thin, and the bubbles are coming through it. i had to taste it. got just a little bit,,, ran it through a coffee filter, and got just enough to wet the bottom of a glass. since it is technically not mine (its the girlfriends) i had her taste it first. she is not a drinker by ANY means,,, and she said " it seems dry, and strong"... :D
this is what i wanted to hear!!!! so i tasted it myself, and i gotta say, this is better ,,to me,,, than what we get in the bottle. im sure that after i filter it, and rack it a few times, im sure that ill lable this as a success!!
cant wait till next year!
spooky