Any comments - potato flour vodka?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kaziel
Swill Maker

Any comments - potato flour vodka?

Post by kaziel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

Hi guys I want to tried something different the sugar and I found recipe on my country's distilling forum:

Ingredients:
1kg of malted wheat
3kg of potato flour
10L water
100g baker yeast
Procedure:
Boil 6L of water, put 3kg of flour to 4L of cold water and stir rapidly. To boiling water slowly add flour+cold water stir all the time you will get thick jelly like substance. Shut down heat add 1/3 of malted wheat (milled fine). After a while (when whole thing colds down) add 1/3 malted wheat again (stir all the time) mash/wash should be less thick after few minutes. After wash/mash will reach temperature so low you can stick your finger into it add last portion of malted wheat. After cooling down o 30 deg C add yeast. Ferments dry in 4-5 days.

I've got alpha and beta amylase and want to try something like that any comments/criticism?
Vodka consumed wisely is harmless even in large amounts.
My all stainless 2" VM still
My first German wheat style Beer

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Any comments - potato flour vodka?

Post by Odin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:29 am

U need more water
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.

kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 am

Odin wrote:U need more water
Much more?

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 am

In total: about four liters to the kilo.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.

kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks for quick respond Odin. On a 1lb bag of "Potato starch" I can buy at my local groceries store it says that it has 80% carbohydrates. Have any of you tried that kind of wash/mash? Is scorching risk while distilling big? With proper conversion (all starch converted) will density of wash be similar to sugar only washes? I'm really new to this kind of stuff so don't hate me to much.

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Poland? And you are asking me for advice on vodka? Interesting!

During fermentation, there is no scorching problems. How the meal settles when fermentation is done or how you can filter it off is a bigger question. Dunno what kinda still you have, but with an element in the boiler and potato meal present, you do run a risk of scorching. A water bath still will prevent that. A a gas fired rig can still cause some problems (meal sticking to the bottom and getting scorched).

If you potatos have 80% starch and you succeed in converting 70%, you will end up with 56% of the weight of the potatoes as fermentable sugars.

Odin.

kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Odin wrote:Poland? And you are asking me for advice on vodka? Interesting!
Yes sir!
This is my first attempt on making something not from sugar or fruits. I've got Boka with internal electric heating, I've can also run propane on my pot still, with minimal effort I can turn each one of them to water bath so after seeing post ferment and filtering results I'll what will be best choice.
Odin wrote: If you potatos have 80% starch and you succeed in converting 70%, you will end up with 56% of the weight of the potatoes as fermentable sugars.
Odin.
The thing that I wanna buy is potato flour with 80% starch. What do you think about iodine test to indicate % starch conversion? Is strach conversion with enzymes more efficient than for example with malted barley?

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

In my experience malted barley is more effective than those loose enzymes you can buy.

Odin.

pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope » Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 am

This is more anecdotal but I’ve been playing with potato mash and potato flour with sebstar/sebamyl enzymes and find it’s the fastest primary fermentation I’ve ever seen. Anyone else have similar experiences? My ratio is closer to 1-1.3# per gallon (didn’t weigh, just dicking around with a small amount of leftover potato flour), so that’d be somewhere between 3-4kg of potato flour with 20-24L water.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope