I've got a lovely bunch of BANANAs need recipies Please.

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

drunkmore
Novice

I've got a lovely bunch of BANANAs need recipies Please.

Post by drunkmore »

Hey Guys and girls
Ive got a banana plant or three in my back yard and they are fruiting about now, what id like to know is what can we do with them.
I must say they are lady finger bananas not the long ones, short fat ones.
Seem to be verry sweet.
Would love to try a banana Liquer from them but have no idea how to go about it.
If some one in brisbane would like to help, id love to bring the bananas around so we can work it together.
or you could pm me and i will pm back my number.
Cheers for all you help guys your always so helpfull here.
I drink there for I am.
I mrink there for I ad.
I .... oh gorfet et.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

:shock: you have now bananas in Ipswich?
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive made likker from banannas .I used 35 to 40 lbs of over ripe peeled to a 13 gallon wash.I added 20 lbs sugar boiled in 5 gallons of water with 1/2 cup lime juice. Poured over banannas let sit for a bit then stirred well.Then added enough water to make 13 gallon total wash. Prestarted 1/2 gallon wash over night with 3 packs ec1118 yeast.Stirred wash well next morning adding prestarted yeast. When ferminted out I ran in single run in my potstill .Go slow cause it will scorch easy. Flavor carried over well .Fokes that tried it either liked it or didnt.Wasnt any middle of the roads on it. Wasnt a favorite of mine but a good friend loved it and drank the most of it.Read some where that banannas on there own when over ripe have around 20 percent sugar.So if ya are gonna do a only fruit wash Id use a double boiler or steam outfit.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I have also made a bannanna wash. Tater gave it too ya straight, I'd just like to add that they also have like 12% starch by weight and will benifit from some amylise enzyme.

Banannas are like canteloupes, strawberries, watermellons, and others, in that they taste WAY different (and usually bad) once they lose their sugar. So once the yeast ferments it into alcohol the taste is so different as to be unbelieveable.

You'll see.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have a recipe for bananna wine in one of my books,but never made it.
The recipe said to save up your old ones,that turn black,in the freezer till you get enough,and use them,peels and all.Ive heard that its good,made that way,but havent tryed it myself.
wineo
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I've tryed adding banannas to my brown ale (3lbs in 5 gallons), and it was ok, but I prefer a bananna free beer.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

Banana Liqueur

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
3 cups vodka

1. Make a simple syrup by bringing sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. When clear, remove from heat and add vanilla. Let stand until just warm. Place mashed banana in clean 1-quart, wide-mouthed jar. Add syrup and vodka. Cover and let stand in a cool, dark place for 3 to 4 days, stirring or shaking once or twice a day to prevent clumping of fruit.
2. Use a fine-mesh strainer to strain out solids. Discard. The liqueur will still be cloudy. Cover and let stand undisturbed until it clears. Rack into a clean container. Cover and age for 1 month. If more sediment settles to the bottom, rack again before serving.

Makes 1 quart.

From Classic Liqueurs, by Cheryl Long and Heather Kibbey:

* 1 large, just-ripe banana, peeled
* 1 fifth vodka or light rum
* 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 2" piece of vanilla bean

Mash banana. Add banana to vodka. Using wooden spoon, submerge banana mash (exposure to air will brown the banana). Steep 2 weeks. Strain, filter, add syrup. Slit open vanilla bean, add to mix. Age 1 month, remove bean. Strain and filter again as necessary. Age another month.

These are just from searches, never tried them, so can't vouch for them at all. If you try one, let us know, I would like something good along these lines.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

they didnt peel em just quatered em. kinda ropey when it worked off so they didnt go no further .
folks makein wine will sometimes put in banana to add body
so im tole