Peach Brandy!

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevenun
Novice

Re: Peach Brandy!

Post by stevenun »

Ahhhhh thanks. Now I need some copper salts...
Look here brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, but just get me through this one thing, and I can go back to killing you with beer. -Homer Simpson
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Try this:

Make copper carbonate with copper sulfate and baking soda solutions combined. Filter the solids through coffee filters, then wash the resulting blue solids several times through the same filter with water. Remove the copper carbonate from the filter and put it in a beaker/glass etc, slowly add a solution of either citric acid/lemon juice or "Acid blend" from winemaking shops. You'll get bubbling and then have a blue solution of organic copper salts.

Another way to do it is take "Acid blend" from a winemaking shop and boil some copper in a solution of it until the solution turns bright blue.

Never drink distillate with copper salts in it, of course - always redistill first.

To obtain copper sulfate, look for Root Clear or other similar products. Some copper salts are added to public washrooms, though I believe this is a banned practice in many places now. Be careful to wash the copper carbonate with water a lot since many sanitation brands have aroma-components added (faux-citrus)
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
markk
Novice

Post by markk »

13.25 Lbs canned peaches . 4 G water . 4 Lbs sugar . 5 tsp yeast nutrient . Did not have any good yeast so used the old method of bakers yeast , 1 pack + a half pack of champagne yeast I had siting in freezer for a long time . Since it was basically just an experiment I figured bad taste from bakers yeast would be okay . About 1 day and the thing went wild and foamed the lid off . This kept up for 3 days . Ended up splitting into two buckets . Down to 1.000 in them 3 days so I left it for a few more days and ran .
First ran 3 gallons . Strip run more or less . Not to tasty at any temp
Second run 1.5 G or so . This time I added in a couple pounds of sugar and a little peach wine flavoring . 173 degrees to 186 was not bad but not real good either . 186 to 200 degrees came out sweet with a little more peach flavor . Mixed them together . Not too bad .

Okay so here is my take on this . ..
Cling peaches is what comes in the cans . Really not good peaches at all . Get peaches from your local orchard if you can and you will get way better peach flavor . I will do this next season .
Try using peaches and no sugar . you will get less ABV and therefor more flavor as it will be more concentrated when your done .
Do not use bakers yeast for sure . Yuk . made a nut brown ale with it one time and tossed the stuff . Use a good champagne or other wine yeast or maybe just some notty or US 05 . I have used bakers in corn and it was not so great either . turbo yeast works very well in sweet feed and may work in this .
I think cut back the water to 2 gallons . Just a guess based on nothing but I think it would make more flavor .

Will be trying again with 13.25 lbs peaches and 2 g water and 2 lbs sugar . By the way Sams Club has 106 oz cans delmonte peaches for 5.98 a can .

EDIT :
Just thought I would ad in another little project close to this . Bout 4 cartons of mango nectar from concentrate at the Dollar General store . Going to put in some Lalvin EC-1118 and see how it comes out . just going to go with what is in carton , no added sugar or water . I will let you know how it turns out .
Last edited by markk on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What is the water for?
markk
Novice

Post by markk »

NZChris wrote:What is the water for?
Since no has answered I will try . I believe it is only there to dissolve the added sugar and perhaps because there would not be enough liquid to distill properly . Not sure but I am thinking that just peach and syrup might not boil so well in pot . 10 pounds of canned peaches is not going to produce a whole lot of liquid . I do not know what happens if you put yeast in just the peaches and syrup but am guessing that it would make something closer to brandy . When i go with peaches from local orchard next year I will use just peaches and no added sugar or water unless there is just not enough juice to make it possible to run . I would guess it could burn easily .

No expert for sure . Just taking a good guess at it .
Last edited by markk on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Not a very accurate guess... :thumbdown: Perhaps reading up a bit before giving things another go would be in your best interest... :idea: Just sayin... :eugeek:
markk
Novice

Post by markk »

rad14701 wrote:Not a very accurate guess... :thumbdown: Perhaps reading up a bit before giving things another go would be in your best interest... :idea: Just sayin... :eugeek:
I said it was guess.
Why do you not put in your accurate information then instead of just telling me my guess was off. That would be helpful
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

markk wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Not a very accurate guess... :thumbdown: Perhaps reading up a bit before giving things another go would be in your best interest... :idea: Just sayin... :eugeek:
I said it was guess.
Why do you not put in your accurate information then instead of just telling me my guess was off. That would be helpful
That was why I suggested doing some research... No spoon feeding here... If you don't know that then we're left wondering what else you don't know that you really should... Knowing is better than guessing...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

markk wrote:I do not know what happens if you put yeast in just the peaches and syrup but am guessing that it would make something closer to brandy
Closer, but still not brandy, check out their website. Ingredients, "Peaches, Water, Sugar, Natural Flavor"

So it already has water and sugar added. What does water and sugar make for a distiller? A=Neutral. You could make the same by making a well flavored brandy from fruit only, then blending it with neutral.

As for how your still would handle crushed, fermented, canned fruit, I can't comment without more info.
markk
Novice

Post by markk »

NZChris wrote:
markk wrote:I do not know what happens if you put yeast in just the peaches and syrup but am guessing that it would make something closer to brandy
Closer, but still not brandy, check out their website. Ingredients, "Peaches, Water, Sugar, Natural Flavor"

So it already has water and sugar added. What does water and sugar make for a distiller? A=Neutral. You could make the same by making a well flavored brandy from fruit only, then blending it with neutral.

As for how your still would handle crushed, fermented, canned fruit, I can't comment without more info.
As far as the water goes in this recipe I still stand by my opinion despite what the resident expert sort of said but did not post his expert opinion . Oh well I think the canned fruit would never boil out the alcohol . It would simply burn . too thick . Not sure since I do not know how they distill brandy as I have not read up on it much.

the water in this case would be needed as I said to dissolve the sugar since I see no way 4 lbs could dissolve in the syrup from the cans as they are already full of corn syrup. Also I think it would be needed for yeast if no starter was used if you wanted it to go along quickly . them yeast like a good swimming pool . Not sure but I would think that yeast would have a hard time getting going if put dry into syrup.

Any how this is good . the first run tastes good now that I have not been taste testing all day . Tried some and it has a nice flavor . the second one with the added sugar to pot and peach wine flavor is real sweet . I think this would be excellent with peaches straight from the orchard . they have so much better flavor then them canned cling peaches .

I am drinking a glass of un oaked chardonnay with some of the first run in it . Pretty good . Cheap chardonnay needs a little extra bump to bring the flavor up .

might add in that i am a beer brewer, so no expert at all on this matter .
bonacker
Novice

Post by bonacker »

hey guys, I ran this for the first time last night. I;m looking for some feedback from the guys that have done this recipie a few times. specifically, does the yield I got seem right? I thought it was pretty low. also, what are you guys cutting this down to for aging?

I did a 10 gallon charge and followed the original recipie as posted.

ran it through a 2" boka with only one piece of copper mesh in the tube, and collected it with as little refluxing as possible.

pulled off 100mL of fores and tossed.

after the first qt collected I actually lowered my burner flame to try and avoid any puking.

2nd and 3rd qts came out fine

but 4 5 were cloudy but I kept going just to see what would happen. 6 was cloudy too so I ended my run there. Aired the qts out overnight and just did my proofs.

qt 1 101 proof
2 91 proof
3 80 proof
4 60 proof cloudy
5 50 proof cloudy
6 20 proof cloudy

do you guys think that the cloudiness was from a puke? thank you for any input.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The cloudiness is fusels. Quite normal late in most distillations. Have a look for oils floating on the late jars. You can blot it off by dropping paper towel on the surface.

I'd cut to 40% or below and put it through again, decide on another foreshot on the fly, then run into a single container to aging strength, 62.5%. That's the lazy method.

If you run into small jars, keep running till its almost flavored water. The first skanky jar you find is not the cutoff point, as good flavor will follow it. You might find one or two jars near the end that you want to leave out of the final blend. It is better to dilute to barrel strength using the late flavored jars than using water.

Don't be hasty with your bending as it seems peach flavor components don't come over evenly during the distillation. Early and late jars may not taste very nice, or very peachy, until they are blended together.
bonacker
Novice

Post by bonacker »

Thanks! that's also partially why I kept running until almost no alc present, wanted to see what the flavors were going to be
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bonacker wrote: qt 1 101 proof
2 91 proof
3 80 proof
4 60 proof cloudy
5 50 proof cloudy
6 20 proof cloudy

do you guys think that the cloudiness was from a puke? thank you for any input.
You need to learn to collect in smaller volumes so you end up with a minimum of 10 - 12 jars... You'll end up with more good and less bad spirits that way... The cloudiness may have been due to running a bit fast, resulting in excess smearing... As NZ Chris stated, dump it all back in the boiler, dilute to 35% - 40%, and run it again... Make sure you only collect 8oz/250ml - 16oz/500ml per jar... You'll see a big difference in the resulting spirits...
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I ran this recipe in early November. my first run started out bad when it started to puke on me. Lesson learned: start a new run slowly. In my sweet feed runs I usally open the burner full on till I hear it start to boil, different washes run different. So I took the puked product and threw it in with the second run, ran slow and got 2qts. At 35%. Which I then ruined by putting to much Vanilla extract in(1tsp). The stuff is drinkable, just taste like vanilla no peach flavor at all. Next time real peaches ! No flavors! Slow stilling! Lessons learned.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
markk
Novice

Post by markk »

bigbob;
I had mine heating slowly . got to running low on time so i bumped it up towards the end and it heated very quickly and foamed all up into my jar. Still turned out pretty good . Second was better . Alll my stuff comes out to about 150 proof up until I strip run and I get about 140 till the end which I cutr off at 200 degrees . My tastiest stuff comes out at 190 to 196 degrees or about 140 proof .
just started some wine . 1 1/2 gallons of mango , 1 gallon peach , 1/2 gallon guava from concentrate at dollar general store . We will see how that goes . as long as it does not spoil but I think not since that is a lot of preservatives . Just hope the yeast takes off quickly so the preservatives do not hinder the growth . I should have used a starter , maybe.
LBHD
Bootlegger

Post by LBHD »

OK, planning on doing 2 runs -

I was going to take some backset from 1st run to melt sugar and add that + same amount of peaches to 1st bucket (with pulp + yeast already in there) -

anyone ever do sour mash brandy sugarhead? Hoping to get more peach flavor out of these cans
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Post by Saltcitystilling »

Hey everyone! I cant believe how busy I have been to not jump into these discussions! I never thought this thread would actually blow up! So thank you for everyone who has tried it and enjoyed it!

Now second off, I have been doing this as my primary for the most part(I have used some pears, did an apple run when it was in season, and a plum variant) and I still love it. Just have to always make sure you are running it nice and slow.

Bonacker, I have the same problem with mine. As soon as it gets to the end it always comes out cloudy or in my case, with the wash color.

I add water to this recipe because when everything is all ground up and ready to go, its thick. And I mean THICK! So the water is what makes it so I can run it through my still.

Also, I have done this where I got the SG up to 1.061 by only using water and the canned peaches and my pallet isnt enough to really tell the difference. Just got a lot less alcohol.
Saltcitystilling
Novice

Post by Saltcitystilling »

Also, I have been aging some of these runs with American white oak chips and a vanilla bean. It is super smooth and all of the ladies love it now! One thing to NOT do in the future is to put an entire vanilla bean in it. I would go with a half of one for it to sit for six months. It sure is tasty stuff though.
LBHD
Bootlegger

Post by LBHD »

LBHD wrote:OK, planning on doing 2 runs -

I was going to take some backset from 1st run to melt sugar and add that + same amount of peaches to 1st bucket (with pulp + yeast already in there) -

anyone ever do sour mash brandy sugarhead? Hoping to get more peach flavor out of these cans
For the record - 1st run was really nice.

Cold crashed the wash, and got 4.5 gal or so before I started getting into the trub.

Tasted a bit here and there during the stripping run, and a lot of peach in there. Great peach nose to it as well. About a gallon and a half from the strip run at 30%

Late tails were good, so I ran it all the way down to 10% or so. Backset smelled great! Used 2 gal or so to melt the next pile of sugar, added 2 more big cans of peaches, and cold water to top off. Pitched on top of the trub from the last ferment and it is already rocking and rolling.
dlwhisky
Novice

Post by dlwhisky »

Anyone with experience done both this recipe and the peach brandyshine?
Quick & Easy way to Make Killer Peach BrandyshineIngredients: 1Gal/6lb Can of Sliced Peaches, 5lb White Sugar, 2lb Brown Sugar, 4-6tsp Yeast Nutrient, 1Tbsp Ground Ginger, 2tsp Pectic Enzyme, 1/4 Cup Plain Yellow Corn Meal (For the Vitamins & Minerals), 4-6tsp Distillers Yeast (or 3 pkg Bakers Yeast/ 2 pkg EC1118), 1 Can Frozen OJ (For Acidity). 1Std Can Sliced Peaches For Jars.
Which is better
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I just started this up:
- 6 kilo's of sugar;
- 15 cans of peaches with syrup: 3 gallons in total with a fruit content of 60%;
- 5 grams of Wyeast mins & vits;
- Water to top off to 50 liters;
- Baker's yeast (40 grams).

I added the sugar to the fermenter. Then I threw in some 4 gallons of hot water, to dissolve the sugar. Next, I blended the syrup & peaches and added them too. Topped the fermenter off at 50 liters. Added the nutrients and stirred them in. Then I added the yeast and stirred that in. There's a 50 watt fishtank heater that I dialed in at 86 F.

I hear good results with this recipe. Curious to find out if it gets me something close to Öszi Barack Pálinka: Hungarian Peach Brandy.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
LBHD
Bootlegger

Post by LBHD »

LBHD wrote:
LBHD wrote:OK, planning on doing 2 runs -

For the record - 1st run was really nice.

Cold crashed the wash, and got 4.5 gal or so before I started getting into the trub.

Tasted a bit here and there during the stripping run, and a lot of peach in there. Great peach nose to it as well. About a gallon and a half from the strip run at 30%

Late tails were good, so I ran it all the way down to 10% or so. Backset smelled great! Used 2 gal or so to melt the next pile of sugar, added 2 more big cans of peaches, and cold water to top off. Pitched on top of the trub from the last ferment and it is already rocking and rolling.
Brief update - doing a "sour mash" of this for the second ferment worked great. I ended up after the 1st ferment with a good bit of headspace, so I fermented round 2 on the trub and old peaches and used backset to melt the sugar.

Did the strip + spirit run and I am very happy with the results flavor wise. Thanks for the recipe! I plan on letting it sit on uncharred oak for a good long while.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Fermentation started pretty quick after I added the yeast. Smells ... not so good.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
dlwhisky
Novice

Post by dlwhisky »

Odin what was your OG... mine smelled like bananna pudding the 2nd day of ferment
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Dunno. Went for 8% as end result. Never measure OG.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

SG is down to 1.005 so it should be finished in a day or two. After that I will leave it for another week or so. For some extra esterification and taste development.

Temperature of the fermentation is 24 degrees and it smells nice. Peaches with some banana on the background. With some sweetness, this stuff could be consumed as a light white fruit wine. Other topic? Other forum!

PH was down to 3.56, so I added some BiCarb. Now it's back to pH 3.9, which is fine. I expect to run it in a week and a half from now.

I plan to give it one distillation through my LM. With packing in place. The packing gives around 0.5 extra redistillation, if you don't reflux. After column heat-up I will take a first Fores cut of everything up until 78.5 degrees C. Then, I will stabilize for 15 minutes and take a Heads cut. Anything under 78.3 C goes out. From there on: needle-valve wide open, power back to 1500 Watts, and I plan to collect until temperature at the bottom of the column is around 95 C. Should give me a one go run with a Hearts cut of 43 to 45%. Perfect.

For the next fermentation, I will use some 10 to 15% backset from the first distillation.

Regards, Odin.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Don't you think it's counterproductive to be adding sodium carbonate when you are working to produce more esters?
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

A bit. But in this first generation, I aim to stay a bit closer to pH values that are usually prefered by the yeast. Next gen I will drop it a bit.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Fermentation is done. I took the fishtank heater out. It will get a few days to settle. Smells nice. Peachy, no surprise there. But when I taste the wine ... it's thin. I hope this get's me over enough taste.

Anyhow, first fermentation, I will just strip. Down to 99.5 C. And I will use some 15% backset to start up fermentation number two. When generation II is ready, I will distill & finish the low wines from gen I together with the wine gen II gives me.

I'll keep y'all posted!

And if this works, my next easy fruit brandy will be from canned pear!

By the way ... why don't we use some pectinase with this recipe? To break up cell structures and release some additional taste as well as fructose? Should only improve taste & yield ...

Odin.